View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 7,538 Times in 3,076 Posts
EllenD will become famous soon enough
Re: Is the badness coming?

I'm going to echo what Noodles said...You're doing things the right way in-regards to "Avoiding Hormonal-Triggers" with your bird, such as touching him in places other than his head/neck/face and under his chin, you've not given him anything inside of his cage that creates a "small, dark place" for him to get inside of or underneath, you're not allowing him to get underneath or inside of anything outside of his cage, no nesting-materials inside of his cage, and to be quite honest and frank with you and everyone else, in my own experience at the Rescue and with my own birds, if everyone would put their birds on a Natural-Light Schedule all-year round, regardless of what time they have to go to bed during winter months and what time they have to get up during the summer months, then Hormonal-Behavior would be something that is hardly ever an issue, except maybe during the 2 natural "Breeding Seasons" per year...And even during those times a Natural-Light Schedule usually keeps them from becoming hormonal UNLESS they have a mate of the opposite-sex to breed with during those times of the year. Most people won't put their birds on a "true" Natural-Light Schedule throughout the entire year because of how early their birds would have to go to bed in the winter months, myself included since I live in central PA where the Sun starts to set in the winter-months around 5:00-5:30 in the afternoon...But that's exactly the schedule they are all on in the wild, which is why we hear the birds starting to chirp/sing in the early-morning as soon as the Sun starts to rise, and why we stop hearing them or seeing them flying around right as the Sun starts to set in the late-afternoon/early evening...And that keeps them on their natural Breeding-Season schedule...Makes sense...

HOWEVER....Not to be the party-pooper, but some birds are also just "late-bloomers", especially if the environment they are brought into when they are babies/juveniles (before the normal age of puberty for each specific species) is totally free of Hormonal-Triggers and they are put on a Natural-Light Schedule and getting 12-hours of sleep every night...And just as a lot of pet birds/parrots who are brought-home as just-weaned babies at very young ages often go into puberty months before their species usually does if their owners handle them/touch them in ways/places they shouldn't, they cuddle them in blankets/towels or inside of their shirts all the time, and especially if they give them one of those blasted "Happy/Snuggle Huts" in their cages or anything similar, if as young babies their owners totally avoid all of these Triggers and put them on a 12-hour sleep-schedule, their puberty can actually be delayed quite a bit (some people even put Nest-Boxes inside of their young, baby bird's cages as soon as they bring them home, thinking that all birds need to have a "nest", or a "bed" to sleep in instead of a perch/branch)...Typically we think of only the larger species of parrots being the ones who do not go through puberty until they are 2-3 years-old, 4-5 years-old, and in some cases not until they are 7-8 years-old...But "Delayed-Puberty/Sexual-Maturity" is not limited to only the large parrots; at 2 years-old, your Sun Conure could very well have not yet started to go through puberty, simply because his body has not yet been "Triggered" to do so (especially if you have no other parrots in the house).

Bottom-line is that you're doing an awesome job at making your bird's environment, his schedule, etc. as healthy as it could be for him from a behavioral point of view, so absolutely just keep doing what you've been doing...However, don't at all be surprised if one day he suddenly starts regurgitating for you, rubbing his beak on you or on objects near you, starts "rubbing himself" on you, other people in the house, or a toy/perch etc., or if he suddenly start becoming very aggressive and "nippy" sporadically and without reason, because those sex-hormones could kick-in at any time, and they most-likely will at some point...And if you haven't had him DNA-tested, then who knows what you might be left as a surprise inside the cage one day! I hope not thought...(I know that Sun Conures are technically sexually-dimorphic, but the differences are so subtle that often times you just cannot tell for sure)...