what is it

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

millet

this little parrot flew into my house the other week we've ask around to find out who he belongs to nobody seems to know, two weeks have past now and we decided to keep it could someone please tell us what type of bird it is DSC00008_edited.JPG

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I think its a green one.
Seriously though,.... It does look like the same as the one in that movie,..."the parrots of telegraph hill".
The more common of the two sorts was redheaded like that fellah.

Last edited:

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Hello and welcome! It is a grass parakeet (i think), falling under the name of a Kakeriekie, well thats what they are called here anyway (south africa). They are such cute birdies, i was at a petshop the other day and they were there making the cutest little sounds, and very curious. What are you going to call him? Is he tame?

Feel free to ask any questions about your new baby!
O, and millet, its a seed, comes in a little bush full of seeds, you can ask at any petshop, they should stock it. But be carefull of too much, it can make him overweight and cause problems:eek: if he falls ill because of his weightgain, get him some seed mix too and you can, find out if they eat pellets, not sure if they do. I dont know much about them, so maybe one of the other members could give better advice on them.:)

Wilma!!!:D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
omg he looks so round in the picture, I just want to pick him up and give him a squeeze to see if he squeeks lol :p

there are a couple sites you could post up if you would like to further try and find its owner... ummm, hmm where did I put those.... I will have to find them later because I am at work ;) or I am sure Peta will beat me to it :rolleyes:

other than that I am not sure what kind it is, but I am going to go with what our south african princess, Wilma said :D

~Chi

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Yes Wilma is right I think its a Kakariki. DOn't see many of those around here. Here is a picture of one so you can compare for yourself.
0003-kiwi7.jpg

OP
M

millet

thanks for the replies hes not really as fat as he looks in the photo :)
he's just starting to make a few noises chiter chater mainly he jumps and races all around the cage now, hes only friendly when you've got some food in your hand then his your best friend,i guess he is still getting used to he's new surroundings, we don't want to name him yet just in case someone knocks at door and wants him back:(

OP
M

millet

well done tracey that him or her thanks for your help:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep definately a Kaki, we see quite a lot of them here, in fact nearly got one a few months back. But supposedly aggresive to other birds in breeding season, couldn't take the chance with my little guys. :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Opps, how rude of me, I meant to say Welcome to PF, I got a bit carried away when I saw the picture, :D

A VERY BIG WELCOME hope you have fun here.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If you are unable to find his owner will you keep him? Please keep us informed on your progress. :D

OP
M

millet

yes i want to keep him as it is,he's a right little show-off as he runs and jumps all around the cage muttering away to him self,

i'll be gutted if somebody knocks at the door for him, i will have hide behind the sofa until they go away
(sorry south london)

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hey another Brit, :35: I'm not far from London myself.

Yeah just don't answer the door for anyone. :D

You could have a look on birdline, thats one of our rescue centers here, I hope for your sake that no one comes for him, they are wonderful guys full of fun. You'll have to let us know how you are getting on with him. Take lots of pics so we can see a lot of him.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Its a centre, not a center.
Lets not bastardize the english language just coz the Americans want to.
Its called "English" for a reason.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Its a centre, not a center.
Lets not bastardize the english language just coz the Americans want to.
Its called "English" for a reason.

two diffrent words you ding-dong :cool:

centre

noun
1. a low-lying region in central France
2. an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm" [syn: center]
3. a point equidistant from the ends of a line or the extremities of a figure [syn: center]
4. a place where some particular activity is concentrated; "they received messages from several centers" [syn: center]
5. the sweet central portion of a piece of candy that is enclosed in chocolate or some other covering [syn: center]
6. the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story" [syn: kernel]
7. the object upon which interest and attention focuses; "his stories made him the center of the party" [syn: center]
8. a cluster of nerve cells governing a specific bodily process; "in most people the speech center is in the left hemisphere" [syn: center]
9. a building dedicated to a particular activity; "they were raising money to build a new center for research" [syn: center]

verb
1. move into the center; "That vase in the picture is not centered" [syn: center]
2. direct one's attention on something; "Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies" [syn: concentrate]

cen·ter Pronunciation[sen-ter]
–noun 1. Geometry. the middle point, as the point within a circle or sphere equally distant from all points of the circumference or surface, or the point within a regular polygon equally distant from the vertices.
2. a point, pivot, axis, etc., around which anything rotates or revolves: The sun is the center of the solar system.
3. the source of an influence, action, force, etc.: the center of a problem.
4. a point, place, person, etc., upon which interest, emotion, etc., focuses: His family is the center of his life.
5. a principal point, place, or object: a shipping center.
6. a building or part of a building used as a meeting place for a particular group or having facilities for certain activities: a youth center; The company has a complete recreation center in the basement.
7. an office or other facility providing a specific service or dealing with a particular emergency: a flood-relief center; a crisis center.
8. a person, thing, group, etc., occupying the middle position, esp. a body of troops.
9. the core or middle of anything: chocolate candies with fruit centers.
10. a store or establishment devoted to a particular subject or hobby, carrying supplies, materials, tools, and books as well as offering guidance and advice: a garden center; a nutrition center.
11. shopping center.
12. (usually initial capital letter) Government. a. the part of a legislative assembly, esp. in continental Europe, that sits in the center of the chamber, a position customarily assigned to members of the legislature who hold political views intermediate between those of the Right and Left.
b. the members of such an assembly who sit in the Center.
c. the political position of persons who hold moderate views.
d. politically moderate persons, taken collectively; Centrists; middle-of-the-roaders: Unfortunately, his homeland has always lacked a responsible Center.

13. Football. a. a lineman who occupies a position in the middle of the line and who puts the ball into play by tossing it between his legs to a back.
b. the position played by this lineman.

14. Basketball. a. a player who participates in a center jump.
b. the position of the player in the center of the court, where the center jump takes place at the beginning of play.

15. Ice Hockey. a player who participates in a face-off at the beginning of play.
16. Baseball. center field.
17. Physiology. a cluster of nerve cells governing a specific organic process: the vasomotor center.
18. Mathematics. a. the mean position of a figure or system.
b. the set of elements of a group that commute with every element of the group.

19. Machinery. a. a tapered rod, mounted in the headstock spindle (live center) or the tailstock spindle (dead center) of a lathe, upon which the work to be turned is placed.
b. one of two similar points on some other machine, as a planing machine, enabling an object to be turned on its axis.
c. a tapered indentation, in a piece to be turned on a lathe, into which a center is fitted.

–verb (used with object) 20. to place in or on a center: She centered the clock on the mantelpiece.
21. to collect to or around a center; focus: He centered his novel on the Civil War.
22. to determine or mark the center of: A small brass star centered the tabletop.
23. to adjust, shape, or modify (an object, part, etc.) so that its axis or the like is in a central or normal position: to center the lens of a telescope; to center the work on a lathe.
24. to place (an object, part, etc.) so as to be equidistant from all bordering or adjacent areas.
25. Football. snap (def. 20).
26. to pass (a basketball, hockey puck, etc.) from any place along the periphery toward the middle of the playing area.
–verb (used without object) 27. to be at or come to a center.
28. to come to a focus; converge; concentrate (fol. by at, about, around, in, or on): The interest of the book centers specifically on the character of the eccentric hero. Political power in the town centers in the position of mayor.
29. to gather or accumulate in a cluster; collect (fol. by at, about, around, in, or on): Shops and municipal buildings center around the city square.
—Idiom30. on center, from the centerline or midpoint of a structural member, an area of a plan, etc., to that of a similar member, area, etc.: The studs are set 30 inches on center. Abbreviation: o.c.

Sorry had too
flag-smiley-7376.gif

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Just coz Yanks write volumes of bullshit, doesnt make it so.
Its too hard to try and teach dumb Americans to write correctly, so they try and change the english language.
Sounds like Iraq all over again.
Shame on Americans,.... for being American.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D that could open up a whole new debate here. :D Don't think I'll go there though.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
There are worlds of differences between RPE (Received Pronunciation English, British English) and SAE (Standard American English) ... you are talking about 2 completely different languages, each have thier own rules and both have many different dialects to them ... Anyone want to debate this one with me? I gaurentee that you WILL LOSE!

Now, American Politics ... yeah, lets not go there either cause that always upsets me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts