View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Parrots:
Ducky - Lutino Cockatiel, Kermit - Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Bluebell & Pearl - Budgies
Thanked 1,495 Times in 707 Posts
FlyBirdiesFly is on a distinguished road
Re: Which conure is this ????

The reason I think free flight is too risky for small birds is not because they can’t be trained as well as larger birds. I agree that they are just as intelligent and can be trained just as well with the right approach. I don’t think free flight is safe for small birds because there are way more predators that can target them, they are more vulnerable if they’re lost in the wild, they are too small for a GPS tracker, they are not as recognizable or easy to see as large parrots, and they are easily spooked. All of these things make it risky and I don’t think watching your bird fly freely outdoors is worth potentially loosing your bird forever. A small bird can easily get enough exercise by flying indoors and can be taken outside in a harness. Recall training/indoor flying is great; free flight and recall are not the same thing.

Last edited by FlyBirdiesFly; 05-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyBirdiesFly For This Useful Post:
ChocolateChipCookiez (05-21-2019), EllenD (05-24-2019), Kalel (05-24-2019), munami (05-21-2019)