Rescue bird

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
Sun conure, military macaw
I recently rescued a military macaw that has had at least 2 previous homes. She's pretty social, but not trained well. I need to work with her, but this is my first big bird and I'm trying really hard not to be intimidated. I can be unimpressed when my conure bites me, but not so much when she decides to bite my wrist (amazingly I got away with only a nasty bruise). Anyway, she'll come to me off her cage and go back willingly enough but the idea of stepping up isn't clear to her unless she actually wants to go there. I need some suggestions, some do's and don'ts please :D

Dana

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I cant offer any advice, but well done on taking up the challenge.
You will get some good answers from this thread soon I am sure.
Keep it up.
Pix please,... no hurry,... now?

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Make sure when she does step up, after saying "step up" you give her lots of attention and appraisal, get her a bit of her fav foos as a treat also.. soon she will associate stepping up as a good thing and want to do it more often... will take time depending on the stuberness

oh, and make sure you clearly say step down when putting her back... LOL my fid thinks both up and down is "step up"

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
First off, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Secondly, how long have you had the military macaw?
It seems as though she trusts you, so then it's time to get started on training. Does she have a favorite snack that you could entice her with, or use strictly for training purposes?

Here's a link that I think covers the bases.
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/behavior/f/birdstepup.htm

Plus I like that it stresses to end a training session on a positive note. It makes sense once you think about it.

If you'd like more articles & tips as well, you can google "Teaching your bird to step up" plus I am sure more people will come along with advice in am inute or two

OP
Dana

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
Wow fast responses :) I've only taken one picture of her and it's in her cage so it's not very good
scarlett.jpg
I've had her 3 days now.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
HI AND WELCOME TO PF
As she trusts you already the battle is half won. Also if she doesn't have any favourite treats you could use a clicker and then a head scritch that will work as well. They are really a personal preference for both you and the bird,

Do always treat her when she steps up and lots of praise
Don't make the training sessions too long, short and often is usually the best way to go.
Do try and do things the way that both you and your bird feel comfortable.

Well done on Rescuing her and please keep us updated, and lots of pics please. :D:D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Wow, a Military Mac ... what a beautiful bird ... that one's on my wish list too ...

Ok, BIG MACS WILL TEST YOU! FIRM AND CONSISTANT BOUNDRIES ... LADDER DRILLS and lots of FLOOR TIME if they step out of line ... think toddler mentality ... you aren't an owner you are now a mommy of a toddler. You must treat a big mac as you would a small child. Establish that YOU are the flock leader, not HIM/HER.

Please also learn how to "bite pressure" train your big mac so that they know the damage they can do with their beaks ... if you want more info on this PM me and I will give you some insight.

You will be greatly rewarded, think about how mushy your conure is, and then think about this BIG GREEN being at least that mushy ... face-to-face time, cuddle time ... set firm and consistant boundries and you will wonder how you ever had a life without a military mac in your life before!

~ :50:

OP
Dana

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
Picture124.jpg

Sweet kisses :) Can you believe I haven't even had her a week?? I am so lucky

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ok, so I just went to 11 on the jealousy meter ... what a beauty!! I WANT ONE!!

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Amazing bird.
Is that your nose in her beak?
Like between its jaws so to speak?
Or is it just an illusion?
Am I right in feeling she could take any part of your body she decided to sever?
That would require a lot more trust than I think I have.
Nice save.
Also,....Its metre, not meter.
Do I need to hijack another thread to state the obvious?
DELETED COMMENT
And here is a pecident from Canada,..."City won't modify parking metre charges
Montreal city council has defeated an opposition motion to eliminate parking metre charges three nights a week, Sundays and holidays. ..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Now now Red. :58: Dana doesn't really know you like we do, so be nice in our new members thread. :D And no more name calling please.

BTW tex is in the right with the Metre and Meter, two different things completely.

Dana she is beautiful, I too am on that jealousy scale reaching very high. Hmmmm I wonder............. no stop it Peta.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts