Bird without a cage?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I have taken the birds cage off him!.
I decided he spent too much time on top of his cage being aloof.
I have replaced it with a perch only.
img8269um5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
He is now down at eye level for everyone who goes past him.
He no longer decides when and if he wants to do any work, and has to assosiate with us on our terms.
Now he is on a perch instead of on top/inside of his cage.
He is much more exposed than before, and now I worry he will feel unsafe.
I decided not to be held to ransom by a bird and now I feel like I have nicked xmas off the little Kiddies.
How will I know if he is stressed out?
How long do I hold out b4 I give in and let him have his cage back?
Should I cave?
Am I being cruel?
Forcing the taming issue is good for him,...no?
Its for the best,...right?
Stop looking at me like that!
Why are you dialling the RSPCA?
WHAAAAT?

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Wow sir relax a little sir.... would you wonder if you were stressing out a child because you didn't let them have ice cream. I think you worry waaaay to much, and it is only natural but you have to think of it this way... if you gave the kids what they wanted they would grow up to be spoiled rotten brats who have no respect for enyone... same goes for your bird, and unlike kids they... wait... some hold a grudge :rolleyes: but anyways you have to think of the long run and whats good for your fid. 5-10 years down the line of giving him everything he wants and he will end up worse than he is now, and you might not think this now, but you might deside you cant handle him any more and have to give him up... having a good start start will ensure that you will have an easier time down the road, and when puberty kicks in you wont loose you mind when he does have his PMS moments.
think future and get your panties out of thier knot and become the boss we all know you can be

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Well the perch doesn't seem to have any toy or anything on it to stimulate his mind and all that. So basically it just seems that now he will be standing on his perch being aloof rather than on top of the cage.

You didn't really specify in your post...did you take the cage completely away? Like he can't go to sleep in it and now has only the perch instead? I think it's fine to take him off of his cage whenever you are there, and put him on a perch or playgym instead (that's what we do with Sisqo), but when you're not there and you're asleep, then put him back in his cage.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
I think he said he has issues with getting him back to the cage....
you will have to find away to get him back in because she is right, he need to be in the cage when no one is near by... use a towel, gloves, anything because its not good to let them stay out all the time like that.

YES... she also said it needs toys... even if he doesn't play with them. I remember you saying that too.... you could try toys that use food anything to keep him active.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
nup removed the cage all together.
If its inside the house, he will just go and sit on top of it.
He loves the cage so much he would rather go to the cage and scream at me to come and sit next to him, no matter where in the house I hide the cage.
Its only been 90 minutes so far.
I will rebuild his whole playgym round the perch in the morning.
I put his fave new log on the perch,underneath him, but he seems to have just gone to sleep.
He seems to be doing a lot of eating and sleeping so far.
When in doubt, he eats,...always,... not unlike myself.
Im worried that he is too exposed and will feel vunerable and thus s tress out.
Time will tell.
Edit: skippah has never been locked in a cage,...he doesnt like it. he likes to sit on top of it, and only goes inside to eat. But is never caged as such. he sits up on top of his cage and holds Court like some kind of king.
So the cage is just a platform of exclucivity that I am tryingto remove from his mindset.

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Could you not have a small cage just for him to go into for sleeping in? He may just go in there of an evening to nap in. Yeah agree you need to be the head of the flock or come that time of year, the dreaded mating season, you could find yourself with a real spoilt bird who thinks he's leader of the pack. :eek:

I would now start to leave toys around just in case he wants to play with them, You know how Skippah is on a day to day basis just watch out for any differences in his behaviour that may point to him being unhappy. What you have done could also make him realise that toys are good and fun, Let us know how he is handling this take over of power. :D He'll soon get used to it I'm sure.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Ok, Here is Phase 2 of life without a cage.
I piked out at about 3am and gave him his cage back, but today I made up this new home for him.
img8284ew7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img8274ym2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img8278eu2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img8276ju3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So now the plan is that he lives on that perch, unless its sunny and he goes into his huge cage outside in the sun, or wandering round the house on my shoulder.
is this a livable option?
Now he just steps up on command by the way,
If he wants to stay with you he does, if not he hops back onto the perch.
No more Mr Aloof,....after just one day of life down from the top of his cage.
I dont see any signs of stress yet. Lots of sleeping eating and chewing on the toys he never touched the whole time they were in his cage. But no screaming, tantrums, depression, or biting/maiming attempts on us so far. Note in the top pic how close he is to where I spend most of my time.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds like he has come a long way in only a day. If this is working for the both of you then I think I would keep it up.

Think of it this way, now he will step up is having no screaming tantrums, and even nibbles on his toys, before he wasn't stepping up? you were being bitten? if he didn't want to do something. never touched his toys etc etc.

This definately seems to be working, so I would be loathed to change it much at all. Being close to where you usually are is probably working in a good way rather than a bad way. He knows he can come to you if he wants to whenever he wants to.
Way to go Skippah, keep us updated on how things are going. :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
No huge changes.
I woke up and came out this Morning to find no dramas.
1 bird, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 1 perch no cage.
img8120ym4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
All present and correct for day 2.
Steps up 100% of the time, slowly if he isnt in the mood, fast if he wants to play with me.
Travels away from his perch with no stress, but loves to fly back to it from long distances.(read flutter/fly).
Today, he ate crushed pinapple I put on his log last night. He waitied till it dried out a bit then ate it up bigtime.
So now he is eating more than just seed. Another iimprovement.
He WILL bite you hard if he is on your shoulder and you try an pat him, but we are working on that one.
No signs of stress, and no screaming at any time,...so far.
Nothing more to report.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Seems to be working great for all concerned, and that is the main thing. :D Great job to you both.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Are we sick of the pictures yet?
img8317gr1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I know he is not as intersting looking as most of the other birds round here, but he is keeping me occupied.
img8308vb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img8309fd8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img8314ql8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Still no signs of stress yet.
Bird is ok so far as well.

Most Reactions