Gigi's vet visit

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Chi, that's an amazing picture and story. The two sides of humanity. The person who was so evil to shoot the eagle and then the vet that was so kind to help him. The kindness balances out the evil in this case, but I wish that it didn't have to.

Nicole, I am so happy to hear that Gigi is healthy. You must be feeling good about that. :)

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Found a picture....

9.jpg

No bill for bird's new beak
Last Updated: Friday, August 16, 2002 | 12:26 PM ET

A Canadian dentist has become something of a hero on Vancouver Island for making an artificial beak for a bald eagle that had been shot in the face and left for dead.
In fact, the eagle has been named "Brian" after Dr. Brian Andrews, a former air force dentist who led a team that spent two months designing and fabricating the new beak, even colouring it the proper shade of yellow.

Andrews used prosthetic techniques to make the beak, much as one would prepare a protective mouthpiece for a hockey player. The challenge was to find a healthy bald eagle and use its beak to make a dental impression.

Someone managed to capture a healthy bald eagle with a salmon net. Andrews says the stand-in eagle turned out to be a "very co-operative" subject, allowing itself to be held upside-down until the impression was completed.

Luckily, the wounded bald eagle was found the day it was shot, otherwise it never would have survived the ordeal.

"The whole top of his beak was shot away, right to the top of his forehead," Andrews said. He said the wound was caused by a high-speed rifle bullet.

Andrews told the CBC Radio's As It Happens Thursday that if regular dental fees were charged the operation easily would have cost about $1,000. He didn't charge a penny, though, saying, "It was a nice way to help out."

Brian the bald eagle now tears up salmon for meals in the wildlife preserve where he is recuperating on Vancouver Island. The big question is when, or if, the eagle ever will be released to the wild.

YA lol Vancouver island. :) lol its just a ferrie ride a way from me. Ive been there at least 50 times. LOL just felt like pointing that out. I heard about that story too.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Wow, maybe Minzer could send Iggy to you, then you vould have 3 hormonal Amazons in the house ...

Yea, what's one more?? He's all yours :D He almost had a perfect 2 weeks with Chase until Friday, then he ripped up his hand pretty good...and I didn't dare touch him yesterday when I got home, WAY too excited...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D :D Oh I like that one. Nicole.

I'm sure he was just excited cos you had come home (and not as his chew toy) :D :D

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Yea, that's about what I feel like...someone is coming over today to meet him to see if she can handle bird sitting while I go on vacation in a couple of weeks (which I do not want to go on....) because Chase is coming too...I hope she doesn't resemble a chew toy as much as I do or she might be scared away (she also has an Amazon, plus a Macaw).

Most Reactions

Latest posts