How Often,....?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
How often should I fill his seed tray?
I know it sounds silly, but I have had him 4 days and and he has gone thru a 5 kilo bag of seed. 2.2 kilos is a Pound, I think. (note to Americans. Please learn the metric system). I'm told the only thing Americans buy in Kilo's is coccaine.
Some mis informed bird back atthe aviary must have told him all the seed in the top 4/5ths of the bowl is poisoned, so he spreads that all over the room and only eats the stuff at the bottom. It takes about 1/2 an hour to make all the mess and the bowl is empty again.
I dont want to give him the seed I sweep up off the floor coz it no longer pristine.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Are you really sure it's the seeds and on the shell he is tossing?

Birds love seeds (junk food) and you shouldn't give him a lot at all.
About two tbs a day should be good. I also like to save a seed or two and treat when she is good.

Have you given your bird pellets? Is he eatting them? if not you should deff switch. Seeds are like us eating potatoe chips, could lead to a tubby un healthy bird. Fruits and veggies are good too. We also have some good recipes in the food forum you could try.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Bucc won't eat pellets if they are in his bowl, I have to make him think they are human food, then he'll eat them. I wouldn't give him very much seed at all,

What are you feeding him on? Is it just a seed mix or are there other things in there?

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I will go and investigate "pellets"
I have only been feeding him seed and fruit up to now(were into day 5).
The seed is called Parrot mix and has about 6 or seven different seed types in it.
Seems to me he only 3 of the seed types in there, so when he cant see enough of the ones he likes, he buries his head in the seed tray and turns his head fast enough to get the top layer out of the way,(and onto the floor). Then its on to the next layer of seed. The bowl is empty in about an hour, so Like a slave I go and fill it up again for him.

Am I slowly killing him?

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
hmmm the work killing is harsh.... but yes kind of

let me see if I can give you some reading that I found useful

I feed my bird Zupreem fruit mix, I am told it has the same nutrition as the plain nuggets except for the flavors.... and they smell like fruit loops.

here is a link to a pamphlet not about there food but about the reason behind pellets and some ways to switch your bird to them

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats a great link, thanks for sharing it. Its not gonna be easy or quick to get them off the seeds so far its taken me nearly 2 years to get Bucc onto pellets, and while he will eat them if I feed him, he won't touch them if I put them into his bowl. Crazy Bird.:D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I have found an importer who will get the ZUpreen in for me.
I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
I went and bought (read: "I sent Debbie out for,..") some Bird pellets.
They smell the same as rabbit food pellets to me.
Skippah politely indicated he wasnt as fond of them as the other food,... by tipping the bowl over and jumping on it till I removed it from the cage. I went back and made him a frut salad of green apple, watermelon (no seeds), pear, grapes and a few cherries. He begrudgingly ate that, but I think he is expecting better service in the future.
This Bird game is harder than I thought. I think I should have started with a bird thats dumber than me.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I think I should have started with a bird thats dumber than me.

You mean there is such a thing. (by that I mean a dumb bird, I'm not insinuating that your dumb) :18: :18: Ever since I've had my birds, and thats been some years now, I've been trying to outwit them, with no success at all. :eek:

Skippah sounds a real character, your gonna have to post some posts in our "funny stories post, can be found in each species forum. With LOTS and lots of pics. :D

Most Reactions