Not a feather in site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I am in big trouble here.
I have just watched the American "version" the brilliant English sit com,The Office.
I am going to need a special forum amnesty here guys.
I dont want to point fingers here, but there is a race of people, (no nationalities here, but they have American accents and do not come from Canada), Who do not understand the concept of sarcasm, Wit, timing, or understated writing styles. Im am going to need one of you to come and defend This appalling version of the funniest tv show since Faulty towers.
I vow to have my tongue firmly "in cheek" at all times and promise not use common sense, or "stating the bleeding obvious", in any of my replies.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I actually hate that show ... i don't find it funny at all!

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I can see that this isn't going to go anywhere good...but the American version of the Office is my favorite show on tv, and I roll on the floor with laughter the entire time...and also not to start a full-on war...but I think the British version drags and doesn't make any sense...

Sorry everyone for feeding into him...I have to defend my favorite show though :eek:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
*Pointer finger hovering over the command to lock this forum*

If this strays too far I will do it!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I don't revel in my powers ... I do appreciate them, and if I have to use them I will ... but not without just cause ...

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Wow
Someone defended that crappy show?
Colour me impressed.
I watched the the pilot of the American version and was inconsolable.
Tis hard to believe its based on the same charactors.
Did the Americans ever do a version of Fawlty towers?
Now that would be interesting to see.
Trying to copy English humour is fraught with danger no matter what Country you come from. There were Oz versions of "father dear father"and "Man about the house" and they were both appalling.

Very brave defence Minzer.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Now this is coming from a Brit and the British version of The Office is ........ wait for it ........ STUPID. I saw it once and didn't even snigger, as a Brit I think I can say this The British Comedy's Suck. (IMO) Sorry to all my fellow Brits. :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Comedys? Comedies?
Sorry Couldnt help myself.
Shutting up now.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hey I can get away with my spelling mistakes, I'm blonde. :D :D :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Ok
its a bad habit I have.
I try and stop myself.

If we are going to be pointing out mistakes here ... this one should be it's, as in IT IS not the possessive its ...

Just thought I would point this one out ... it's kind of a flaw of mine too! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D :D :D OMG gals watch out we've got two of them watching out for our spelling mistakes now. :D

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
GASP Peta im gutted.. the office was a joy...as the league of gentlemen....little britain....Catherine Tate.. All british Sooo funny.
There must be a brit comedy that at least made u smile....the dead parrot sketch in monty python perhaps:26: now I say this without checking rest of posts ...so if anyone recently lost aloved one I apologise BUT sketch a winner. oh the pink panther movies i wept till i weed come on there must be one a wee one huh wot about our own Billy Connolly...theres a down to earth guy. oh oh what about the fast show jings that killed me.....Kevin.. teenager.
Chewing the fat...aye hes started the masterbating sketches......
please there must be one.
And my over the pond pals....I adored malcome in the middle pure joy I fancy Hal:eek:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... OMG gals watch out we've got two of them watching out for our spelling mistakes now...

Actually, I would never point out someone else's mistake without good reason, I just read through them and I don't comment. But, when someone is giving someone else a ribbing I will point out their mistakes ... :)

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
haha since we're talking about mistakes i thaught this is an interesting thing that i got in my email:

Heres a a really interesting thing, try and read below:

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Scroll Down for what it really says in case you couldn't read it or want to double check.

Now heres what it says incase you couldn't read it:

If you can read this you have a really strange mind too

Can you read this? Only 55 out of 100 people can.

I could not beleive that i could actually understand what i was reading. The phenomonal power of the human mind according to a research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read without a problem.This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing huh? Yeah and i always thought spelling was important!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I loved all those English shows mentioned.
I am Watching malcolm in the middle right now, but as Deb points out, its the same story every episode, (boys are bad, do bad things,no lessoned learned) But I just love it.

English humor is great, DELETED. case in point: The new Pink Panther movie,..... get me a bucket! (and not for the vomiting sketch from Monty Pythons "meaning of life"). I defy anyone to defend that stinka! Peter sellers must turning in his grave.

Re: Speling errors. I can handle the lazy pronunciation, and missed commas and lack of capital letters, I am even guilty of shortening the English language when it suits me (b4 I tell how, U have to guess).DELETED I just see them even bigger.
Btw I am not really anti American,DELETEDHow would you like to explain a Monty Python sketch to DELETED English Humour is in a world of its own and should never be imitated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Karen, - I'm not a great one for Comedy anyway, but Pink Panther uggggggggh Sorry, Billy Connolly, well yea, I can cope with him, but after a while it just annoys me. I think the only things I watch on the TV (and its not really a lot at all,) are all American. I did see a comedy a while back and I have to admit I was in stitches, laughed till I cried, again it was an American one, don't know the name of it though. :eek:

Actually, I would never point out someone else's mistake without good reason, I just read through them and I don't comment. But, when someone is giving someone else a ribbing I will point out their mistakes

Yeah I know Tex, I'm just ribbing ya. :D

Red, no more please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions