Hello everybody!

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I'm new in the forum!I signed up yesterday and I still find it a little hard with the forum. It took me quite a while to find how to post this..Anyway I'm glad I managed to!Well I'm a YFA owner for just about a month.He is not a baby and not hand raised.He must be between 5-8 years old and probably caught in the wild as a baby.I saved the little guy from the horrible petshop owner where he was slowly dying..He hardly fed him every 2-3 days some very poor diet.He was in a miserable condition when I bought him and took him to the vet.He was under antibiotics as well as some in injections for three whole weeks.He is now in good health and not in danger anymore.His diet now is richer than he had ever dreamed of!The only bad thing left is the plucking.He has plenty of toys and he is playing a lot but will pull some feathers out when preening. We are getting along really well!He lets me tickle his head and plays a lot with my hand.I think he is a really good bird because when he goes a little far with the 'hand' game he gets a firm NO and he backs off.. That's my story!Any advice is very very wellcome from anyone of you!

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Well first off welcome to our site, where I am sure any and all question will get sort of answer :D

we like to hear stories about fids getting out a danger, good for you. I bet was a lot of work to get as far as you have.

oh, and feel free to post lots of pictures of your little guy. We them them pictures here LOL

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Wow...an Amazon plucker? I don't think I've heard of too many Amazons that pluck, so he must have gone through a lot. But it's great that you found him and he's in a much better situation and becoming healthier.

Have you had any other birds before, or is he your first?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot Welcome to the Forum!

OP
pheobus

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Thank you very much guys!I have had an eastern rosella and a cockatiel which I tamed both myself.I had bought the rosella and found the cockatiel in the streets boldheaded and almost dead..I love birds and I have read quiet a lot on the internet. Yes guys an amazon plucker..Is it hard to stop this bad habbit?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Welcome to PF first off.
I'm so glad that this little guy has found you, I've not heard of too many Amazons plucking either, I would think that the best way was plenty of showers, toys and a lot of love, which he seems to be getting from you already. Hopefully he will stop this soon. It sounds so easy when you type it, I just wish it was that simple.

We have some very knowledgeable Amazon Parronts here who will be able to give you plenty of help I'm sure. If you need any help with the Forum itself then please just ask away we'll be only too pleased to help out where we can.

Please we would all love to see lots of pics of your fids, we do love pics here. :D

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Hey, welcome to the forum!!! I have a Yellow Crowned Amazon...I think that's the same as a Yellow Fronted...at least they look exactly the same to me...anyway, I'm glad you took him out of a bad situation and it's going so well! My Amazon doesn't pluck himself, just me...leaving me with flesh wounds, lol. I'm sure with some hard work you can start to alleviate the problem, especially since he's in a much better situation now (but I know nothing about plucking). Anyway, enough of my rambling, and welcome again!

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Wow, good for you!! That bird is lucky to have found you. Where are your from? Just curious. Welcome to the forums :)

OP
pheobus

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I'm from Greece,Europe!Really far away from most of you people.Thank you a lot all of you,for the warm wellcome .I'll try to post some pics as soon as I find the way!
Oh!I forgot to say thank's for the advice!And yes, yellow fronted is the same with yellow crowned..
I'm happy I found you guys!I have to thank Karen for inviting me! :)

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Hey u are most welcome. I have a wee orange wing who will be one on Monday...Roxy. We didnt get her sexed but everyone like everyone who meets her says she has to be a female.

Last edited:
OP
pheobus

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
your baby is really so cute Karen. you are lucky to have her!and she is lucky to have you!how can you tell she a ''she''? because I try to figure out my YFA's sex..

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
she is just so like "what ever" she looks girly LOVES men like all men and eats like a woman. endless grazing. she likes to get her own way.

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Great pics Karen, I love the first one,

"Now I can read the paper" :D but they are all brilliant.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Hello and first off welcome to the parrot forums. We do have a few great Amazon Parronts like Peta said. I also have a rescued Amazon but thankfully not a feather plucker. Good for you taking on the challenge of a rescued Amazon, possibly a wild caught.

Feather plucking is a hard habit to stop but is usually possible with lots of time and patience.

Feather plucking can be caused for many reasons but since he was at a vet I will assume he has so diseases, or mites? Therefor it is probably a dietary deficiency or behaivioral.

There is so many questions to be asked to help determine why he may be plucking.

Was he plucking before you got him or after?

Daily bathing would be very important to help if the skin is bothering him and thats why he may be plucking.

There are so many questions but here is a website you can check out.

http://www.featherpicking.com/Basics_of_FP.htm

OP
pheobus

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
thanks a lot Nicole! Nice articles here, I had not read! :)

Most Reactions