Showers

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Hey guys, I have a question about showering with the birds. Because we figured out that the birds like the shower and because we don't tend to have a lot of time in the mornings,either one or the other of us will bring them in. They enjoy it, but I am worried about the smells and chemicals from the soaps and shampoos. I can smell them even though Jason really can't. Is this bad for them and if so, what would be a better way of doing it? I leave the shower curtain open a little bit so fresh air gets in, but I don't know if that is enough. Thanks!

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I would think that as long as you don't let the birds eat the soap/shampoo and don't actually get any of the product on them, it would be ok. I know that aerosol products are bad, but I don't think just regular liquids or things like that are very harmful...just MHO.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
As Minzer said as long as they don't eat it, it should be fine, I've been showing with Bucc now for over 2 years, and he's fine, oh wait Mac and Ham could turn out like Bucc "the brat" in the "terrible twos" :D :D Seriously tho' its never been a problem and I make sure I keep all soaps (I use the liquid soap) shampoos out of their way.

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
I take both birds in the shower with me too and they are totally fine. I have a towel hanger in the shower and it's on the opposite end of where the shower head is and they sit there untill I am done getting clean. They also get a slight mist.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I take Popsicle in the shower with me all the time, she gets on her shower perch and enjoys her self. No problems with her.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Should have said before that Bucc doesn't come anywhere near the water, just sits on the top of the shower curtain pole. Kito on the other hand will either sit on his perch while I'm washing then will come and sit on my shoulder, just so he can get his fair share of the water. :D

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Same in this household.
Mine has been getting the steam but not direct water.
I wouldnt know how hard or hot the water would need to be (depends on the size ofthe bird)?
I just get it steamy in there and let him preen away.
He seems to like it, and I dont see see any ill effects yet.
As long as the bird is not unhappy, I would keep it up.

OP
Christy

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Thanks guys. I worry too much, but I guess better the be safe then sorry. Especially when it comes to my babies. :)

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
forget the steam... I drown her ass ...lol ok not drown, but is it just me or do a greys feathers have water proof coating?

I would take pictures, but well, I am all wet too and I dont think the camra can come into the shower with me... LOL

speaking of that... we both curently need a hosing :p

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
forget the steam... I drown her ass ...

*LMAO* :18:

Yeah, when they go in with me they get the stream put on them (shhh, don't tell Christy) and they just sit there and enjoy every minute of it ... I should mention that I always make sure that the tempature of the water is nice for birdies ... never too hot.

I love it ... while I am spraying them they just roll their heads back and go into a trance like state. Good times had by all!

~ :50:

P.S. Chi - I thought something was kinda stinky in here ... ;)

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I feel some members are angling to send pix of themselves showering with their birds.
Can we avoid this some how?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOO please. Its first thing in the morning here.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
You guys all have dirty minds, and that's coming from me ... king of the dirty minds!

I knew there was a reason I liked all of you so much!​

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
To all our beautiful/handsome members I love ya all but please WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON. :D:D:D

OP
Christy

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
You guys went a whole different place with this. I was worried it might happen when I posted the question.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I know I'm a little late posting on this, but I started taking Sisqo in the shower with me and he started enjoying it, but was still pretty hesitant. Now that it's nice outside I take him to the outside cage and give him a really good shower with the water bottle. Lot's of times he hangs upside down from his cage with his wings spread out. Pretty funny to see.

Most Reactions

Latest posts