View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Baby - Sun Conure; Tango - GCC; Bindi - Sun Conure; Stanley - Pineapple GCC; Screamer “Scree” - Cockatiel; Mr Tee - Pineapple GCC
Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,086 Posts
Jen5200 is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I get a bird? What species?

I see a few pros to getting a bird, and several cons based on what you’ve told us. This is only my opinion, and you know your circumstances best!

Pros: You have time now, and you have previous bird experience. It sounds like you are very invested and have a long term interest in birds, with a lot of love to give to one.
Cons: Close quarters with 2 cats (even if they have not hunted before, the instincts are there). Others in the residence would have to be willing to give up things that can be harmful to a bird, careful of letting the bird out and willing to live with the noise. Birds live a long time - and while you have time now....things are going to change a lot over the next few years and you’d need to consider how a bird that’s bonded to you would feel if you became inaccessible. All birds make noise - and depending on how sound carries in your building, it could be an issue to heavily consider.

All that to say....it depends (on you, your family and your home). It could be beneficial to get some more experience while you go through some this time where life is transitional, fluid and a bit unknown. A part time job at a bird store, volunteering at a shelter, zoo or rescue/sanctuary....these can help you gain valuable experience, build contacts in the bird world, help you decide if an avian companion is truly something that you want, and if your lifestyle will suit a bird.

I look forward to hearing about your journey (whether you get a bird or not). Please ask lots of questions...there’s lots of collective knowledge here!
Bindi (Sun conure adopted Jan 2018, hatched approx 2011, female)
Screamer (Cockatiel adopted April 2018, hatched approx 2012, female)
Stanley (Pineapple GCC adopted Aug 2018, hatched approx 2014, male)
Mr Tee (Pineapple GCC adopted Jul 2019, hatched approx 2015, possibly male)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen5200 For This Useful Post:
Tami2  (08-29-2019)