New Family Members

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
camera002.jpg
Here is a picture of our latest members of the family. They are two young Lineolated Parakeets, and although you can't tell from the picture, its not very good, I took it with my phone, one is Blue and the other is green. Hubby has named them bluey and punch, after his football team. I will get some better pics tomorrow once they have settled in. They are so lovely and very tame and noisy, but its a nice little noise. At the moment they are busy investigating their new home, doing acrobatics and generally flitting about.

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
They are quite handsome looking from what I can see.
Are they purchased or did you find them in need of a home?
I believe they need to be DNA or surgically sexed to know their genders. Do you know what your two are?
They are lucky to have found you, Peta.

Michael

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Again they were needing a good home. The lady phoned me up and asked if I'd be interested went to have a look at them and asked if she would have them looked at by an avian vet to make sure there were no problems with them and he gave them a clean bill of health so went and picked them up. They have been separated from mine for a few weeks just to be on the safe side, we will also be picking up a couple of Rosellas from her as well in the next few days, hopefully. She is going through a divorce and has since gone back to work full time and doesn't feel shes got time for them anymore they have been really well looked after and she loved them too much to have them in the cage for most of the day.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Congrats on your new flock members. Looking forward to more pictures.:)

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
As promised here are some better pics of Bluey and Punch, they are just so lovely and cute

camera015.jpg

They are usually really close together, so to see them going in their separate ways is lovely.

camera012.jpg

Punch after having something to eat and drink and taking it easy.

camera010.jpg

Bluey, all he needs done is a nail clip. Think they could both do with a nail clip, and that will happen in the next day or two.

bubbles

Feb 6, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels, budgies, 28s, princess parrots, ringnecks, plumheads, Red Rumped Grass Parrots, Lovebirds.
wow they are absolutely beautiful, ive never seen that kind of parakeet before, very pretty

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
Peta, they're very handsome! What nice coloring on the turquoise. I remember when I first learned that all parakeets do not look like the ones you find in the stores. And imagine my daughters' surprise when we found out that they even come in pink?! What a wonder! THanks for sharing the pictures.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
There are real michief makers, honestly, but you have to laugh at them. We picked the other two up today, and there is one Rosella, and a Bourke, will post pics later and Mkay, its got pink in it. They are settling in really well, but will get pics tomorrow and post them then.

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Rosellas are gorgeous. Here are some pale headed (mealy) rosellas we handfed for friends. They made me laugh with their long necks. They can really stretch them out at feeding time. Also is a pic of my boy rosy bourke, Mork. They make the sweetest, soft singing sounds. I really like listening to them--they're the first ones up every day!

Attachments

• Rosellas 7-6704.jpg
    Rosellas 7-6704.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 726
  • Rosellas back view 7-2-04.jpg
    Rosellas back view 7-2-04.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,317
  • bourke male of pair.jpg
    bourke male of pair.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 903

bubbles

Feb 6, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels, budgies, 28s, princess parrots, ringnecks, plumheads, Red Rumped Grass Parrots, Lovebirds.
Hi, In America are hand raised rosellas common? Because here in Aust where they are native its common thought that they arn't worth hand raising because they go "wild".

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
They go 'wild' here, too. They're flighty by nature, and took a lot of patience and quiet, slow approaches in order to be able to handle them. We made it a point to walk up to their cage very slow, with easy, slow hand movements. One of them was tame for quite some time, but eventually lost interest in human contact after being returned to their owner.

We did injoy them while they were here, but they'd never know us today. Sure are beautiful birds. I'm very jealous of you, as you probably are exposed to various species often, and they are not prevalent in my area. Ah, but, we have pictures!

Attachments

• Rosella snuggle Alina.jpg
    Rosella snuggle Alina.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Rosella fanned feathers 8-9-04.jpg
    Rosella fanned feathers 8-9-04.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 383
OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Haven't posted pics yet as you can see, but am having real computer probs at the moment so its a bit of a pain. As soon as I get this sorted out then I promise I will get posted. They are really lovely and so tame, which is nice as Errol and Flynn have been watching them have a fly round today, they wouldn't come out of the cage, bless them. The aviary will be up and running soon so then they won't have to worry about coming out they can fly round all they want.

Dave

Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania-USA
Parrots
1 pet CAG--1 pet TAG--1 pet YC Macaw--2 pet Quakers--3 prs of breeder greys--not pets
Just a few photos----Not my birds
=========================

cockatielwhiteface.jpg
BudgieWBPk_C072.jpg

yellowplumheadringneck.jpg
01402432-1b05-4f33-8ef1-370e9ec26908.jpg

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They are just so pretty. I love the ringneck and what colours. I rescued a ringneck when I got Errol and Flynn, but unfortunately I couldn't save him, but I like to think that for a few short weeks he had the best life he'd ever had. I must have cried for a week, as in the few weeks he had become a real character.

All the pics are lovely.

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
That pearl cockatiel looks like a young pic of our Cody!

We had a ringneck here for a short time. I was surprised at their loud call.

Dave, what type of parakeet is the one with the red head? It looks like a ringneck, but with a plumheaded keet's head. Very unique--what is it???

Here's Cody. He won some prize at a bird fair with this photograph. Handsome guy.. has lost all of his pearling now, but still quite the looker!

Attachments

• Cody Dec 2004.jpg
    Cody Dec 2004.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 219

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Re: question

Was that a Moustache parakeet in Dave's post? I have a question, can you tell the difference between males and females by beak color as babies? I was told that the male Moustaches and Ringnecks have pink beaks, while the females have bone-colored beaks as babies. Is this true?

bubbles

Feb 6, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
I have rosellas in my back yard as well as cockatoos, galahs, king parrots, lorikeets and others. Ringnecks are not able to be visually sexed until they are 2-3 yrs old when the cock develops his ring. We breed ringnecks and they can get very noisy when they want to but they make really nice pets

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
MKay, have to say that your rosellas and bourke are really pretty. Did you make the fence and play area that the rosellas are standing on. It looks really good and they seem to enjoy it.

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Peta,

We set up those little gates, I think they sell them for hamsters, but we use them to keep the birds in that area while cages or 'brooders' are being cleaned. We just put a playstand on our counter with papers, and gate the area so nobody will fall off the edge. The rosellas were fledging at the time, but they always liked sitting on the fence.

It's just a temporary play area while their homes are cleaned. Here are a couple more pics; we had a whole bunch of quakers here that we were feeding for friends at one time. Here they are.. also some of my tiels are in with them. They really enjoyed eachother's company!

Attachments

• Quakerville 6-30-04.jpg
    Quakerville 6-30-04.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Baby huddle.jpg
    Baby huddle.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 562

Most Reactions