View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Thanked 1,331 Times in 504 Posts
ParrotGenie is on a distinguished road
Re: Mating of Triton sulphur crested cockatoos

Quote: Originally Posted by Ivanmig26 View Post
Hi! Im just new to the forum. I own a pair of Blue and Gold Macwa, sun conure, jenday conure, greencheeck conure and a pair of tritons. Im from the philippines and currently rescued/bought the pair of tritons.

They came from a small cage and according to the previous owner they are about 5-6 years of age. Build a bigger cage for them with toys and wooden perches and after a week decided to put a camera to check up on them online. After putting up a camera i noticed that the male often gets aggressive to the female and chases hee off but often time too the preen with each other. And i saw them Mating too! For a week i think i saw them 4 times. So i decided to put up a nest for them. Build it from scratch. After a few days the male gets cuurios and tries to get in but the female seems just peeks inside from time to time

My question is:

1. Usually after mating, how long do the female lay eggs?
2. When do the female go in? Hiw can i make her go in?
3. Is it normal for the male to be that aggressive and chases the female off then preen with each other? Love and hate relationship eh? Hehe

My cage is about 6.5 feet high and about 6 feet wide. Nest has two entry.

They are definitely a mated pair, last picture said it all. Now as far as the male being aggressive? This could be a huge problem, as they can seriously injury and even kill one, or the other, yes I seen it happen over the years. Usually breeder will try to correct behavior by clipping the aggressive bird, so the non aggressive bird can fly away if they have to. Reason it important to have a very large cage, so it reduces cage aggression and they can have their own space when they want to get away from each other. They will remove the male and move into a different cage and then after a while introduce back together with supervision. Now if I see a male is still way to aggressive, I split and break the bond. Usually a professional breeder will try to match the pair with non aggressive to a non aggressive mate and hope they will accept each other.

Breeding is very tricky and not for the faint of heart, You have to know behavior patterns and etc, otherwise could end in complete disaster and heartbreak. I know even expert breeders that lost birds. It is not something I recommend you get into as larger birds are way more complex to breed. Then you have to have experience, setup for Hand Rearing, just in case parents reject baby and that a whole another topic. Plus birds have to be vet check and blood work done, especially the female, otherwise you run the risk of egg binding and other issues and you have to change diet and provide a large cuttle-bone and mineral block.

When you say aggressive is it just protective over each other, or dominating behavior and chasing? If it is the dominating behavior, it best to separate ASAP, before something goes very wrong. Just keep cages close to each other.

Last edited by ParrotGenie; 11-06-2019 at 09:49 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ParrotGenie For This Useful Post:
charmedbyekkie Supporting Member (11-06-2019), noodles123 (11-06-2019), Scott  (11-06-2019)