Water bottle question

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
So I'm setting up Sisqo's (& eventually Gigi's) outside cage, when I realize that I don't have a water bottle for him. Would it be okay to get one for a hamster and use that one for outside?

He's not very rough on his water bottles. In fact he has used the same one since we got him. I just don't want to go spend $30+ on a water bottle that will only be used minimally.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If he's okay with it then I don't see why not? Of course you'd have to do a good washing and cleaning of the bottle, but you'd do that with a bird one anyway. The only concern is not sure how secure the spout part is on a hamster/rabbit but if you are keeping an eye on him the first time he goes out it should be okay.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Don't they try to eat em' ?

Wow, I'm impressed that your birds will use the water bottles. I was thinking of getting some since my guys just love making soup out of their water dishes (don't they all) Would be great to know they always have a fresh water supply when I'm not there to change it.. but I think they'd just destroy them immediately. Especially since they are not confined to cages.
Your birds don't destroy them? Even those plastic rodent ones?

Sarah

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
all my guys have a water bottle Misty will actually always drink out of hers first before she uses her dish. I have teo small rodent ones and 1 rabbit one for Sidney. It is great when you have to leave them over night and stuff. I also always provide water and dishes which I would like to think is fresh but I have to chanmge SIdney's at least 3-4 times a day to keep it reasonably so.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Since he knows how to use it, it should be fine!Only my rosella makes a very big mess with her water bowl every single day!She will even poop in it even in the dish that she eats.I tried a plastic bird bottle but she cut it into pieces and let all the water run on the floor.Dirty bird...:mad:The other two are very clean with themshelves and their stuff, but Phoebus(amazon) wouldn't let it exist as a whole for long, as he likes to chew on anything..:D

OP
NicoleN

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Sisqo has a glass bottle on his cage, and it has a stainless steel spout, so it's pretty tough. But of course, he doesn't show much interest in tearing it up.

I went with a plastic rodent bottle,but it's by Lix-It. I must say I'm not very happy with it and might get a different one. The way to attach it to the cage is kind of akward, and it keeps tilting. Plus it leaks a lot.

Gigi drinks out of a water bowl and he love to make pellet soup with it also. I've also noticed that he'll dip his toast in there on occassion. I don't think we're going to be trying to convert him to a bottle or anything because it's probably better for him that his food is softer. Plus we've got so many other things to work on that drinking out of a water bottle is at the bottom of my list.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Only my rosella makes a very big mess with her water bowl every single day!

Yep I swear the Rosella's here are the same, bathing and making soup in it. I swear they are far messier than all the others put together. :eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts