adults learn to talk?

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I have read in an article that adult parrots over 2 years old don't learn to talk easily and that they will learn a couple of words. Is that true from your experience?Not that I would make a big deal if Pheobus won't talk.. though he tries when I train him.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They can learn to talk at any age, but as is always the way some birds talk and some don't.

Just keep talking to him and saying things over and over, I would keep the words simple to start off with,

Hello
Bye,
Good boy/girl etc.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
They'll still learn to talk, just maybe not learn a huge vocabulary.

Sisqo is 10, and has always said "hello", "sisqo", "sisqo bird", "hi", "pretty bird", "bye", "ma" & "mom".

Latey though, he's been muttering "step up", and "what's up".

So yes, you can still teach them to talk, but make sure you give them a lot of praise, even when you hear them just attempting it. You can tell when they're kind of struggling with it, because they'll mumble and grumble it to themselves until they get it just right, and then it'll come out clear as a bell.

OP
pheobus

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Yes, he does that!I have heard him a lot of times mumbling but I can't figure what he says!I do praise him by giving him his favourite treat and talking in an excited voice when he is most close to sound of the word...He also says something long that I can't understand and I didn't teach him that.Maybe sth he heard at that petshop he was.. Thanks Nicole! I'll let you guys know how we get on.:)

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
ah mumbling lol.... I love it when my bird mumbles, all I can picture is a little homeless man wondering the streets talking to my self and laughing at random times :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts