I'm back!!!!!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
So far so good, It seems that I'm back on line for a while anyway.

The engineer came out on Thursday, he was here at 10.00am, I was thinking lovely, by the time he's finished I'll have the putor up and running again before the kids come home from school, that was my first mistake...... By 11.00am he had put the hard drive in and was running the recovery system, he said it would be a while and he would pop out for a min, I agreed to that, that was my second mistake. I didn't see him anymore then until 3.10pm. :mad: Finally he came back to a very frosty and irate woman who just wanted to punch him.

That evening I was uploading some of my files back on to putor, ie email internet, printer and such like, I had 2 crashes that night, came off went to bed. Friday morning started again putor was so slow it was ridiculous, called them again and I had to take everything off again and run the sytem recovery again, lost all the things I'd put on the day before.:12: Have now put the things on I need like internet and email and left the rest as the screen isn't right so will have to call them again on Monday. At this moment I have calmed down a lot but come Monday I'm sure gonna be real peeved again, as this time I'm not gonna be waiting round for them to fix this one I want a new one.

Hopefully thou no more crashing for a while anyway.

Its great to be back

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
I'm glad you got some of your computer problems straightened out. :) Hopefully the rest will be fixed soon.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I have since found out that the stupid engineer hasn't put in a sound card and has given me an old hard drive:mad: :mad:

Dave

Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania-USA
Parrots
1 pet CAG--1 pet TAG--1 pet YC Macaw--2 pet Quakers--3 prs of breeder greys--not pets
Re: I'm back!!!!!!!///PETA

Peta-----a suggestion

About 4 mts ago, my PC crashed badly. I had about 7 gigabytes of all types of files saved on my hard drive ( Approx 6 yrs worth of material) . Much of that stuff couldn't be obtained again had I permanently lost it. My wife and I then VERY DELICATELY extracted all of the files from the crashed hard drive. It took us about 3 wks to do this. If I had brought the PC back to the store where I originally purchased it a while back ( Best Buy ) they could have fixed it BUT everything would have been lost. Any repair area will fix the PC but will not retieve your files for you. Had I let them fix it it would have been like me coming home with a new hard drive that had nothing in it yet. First we extracted everything and put all of it on my son's PC. We then went to work on fixing my main PC. That took about 2 wks to reconfigure the hard drive which also included many of the protective programs which I also lost. After that we then went back to my son's hard drive and took all of the extracted files I put in and put everything on rewritable disks. Then we went back to the main PC with the disks and reloaded the main PC again. The good thing here is that I now had rewritable disks with all of my ALMOST LOST material that was reinstalled.
So, that taught me a very hard lesson and this is what I now do--approx every 3 months or so I take the new material I accumulate and add it to those rewritable disks so if that ever happens again I will have copies of all my material both from the past and the present. This method is very good to use if you're not PC literate. Luckily, my wife who is PC literate knew what to do and knew how to slowly extract files.
The files that you put on a rewritable disk will have the exact names that are on your PC so it's just a matter of adding them to your rewritable disks periodically. If a PC should crash just before the new material is added to a rewritable disk, all that's lost is the amount of material you collected from the last 3 mts or so.
You don't even have to use a rewritable disk. A regular disk is fine but when you finish with, it has to be closed permanently so no additional info can be put on. You would then have to use a new disk. Then when you need to look up or use old material, you simply put the rewritable disk in and continue what you're doing.
You should seriously consider doing this to protect yourself in the future especially if you like adding things to your PC periodically.------Dave

Last edited:
OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks Dave, I used to be very hot on back up disks, but in the last year or so I have to admit I have lapsed. It was always "I'll do that in a minute". Luckily I managed to update everything before losing it, but it was more luck than anything else. I have made a promise to myself that I will back up everything each month. Sounds excessive I know but I work on my computer and if I lost the work for the month it would be a major problem. Anyway I'm gonna go out and make sure I have a stash of rewritables just for me,

Most Reactions