New Member.

chaddlee78

Jun 25, 2007
Media
i live in Mississippi
Parrots
I have one Sun Conure but sometimes i get interested in acquiring a mate for him/she. I'm not sure rather sunnie is a he or she, so i at times call sunnie shim:).
hello. i have a sun conure and i have posted 3 pictures of sunnie in the photo gallery under conures. Sunnie is 3 years and 6 months old and he doesn't have yellow on his entire back like most sun conures do. Does anyone know for this reason or are there lots of sun conures like this?

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Re: Conures Species Information

hmmm.. maybe hes a jenday conure? Im sure someone else who knows more about suns would have a better answer than me.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure

If he is 3 years then I would say you "got took" I'm pretty sure he is a jenday this is a common mistake made by petstores unfortunatly if you got him from a breeder though I would definitly consult him. His wings are lighter than my Jendays but by 3 years they should be mostly yellow if he was a sun. Beautiful bit anyway go to "sidney's new feathers" thread to compare the colors to my Jenday.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,

oooh actually my mom just had a brilliant idea - Maybe he's a sunday a cross between a jenday and a sun???? Me thinks this is the answer! does Sunnie have red tuffs poking up through his shoulder he doesn't seem to have quite enough red for jendays although jendays have alot of color varieties. I'm really thinking he is a SUnday. Tex, we need your thoughts on this one.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi and Welcome to PF, hope you have great fun here. Any questions you have just ask and someone will be along to help you out.

He kinda looks like a Sunday to me as well, but as a non owning conure I'll pass to you all with Conures. :D

I moved this to the New members forum, as it will be easier for everyone to find. :D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Oh i completely forgot about the Sunday conure. Ya he loks like Sunday conure to me too. He looks too yello ish to be a jenday but i could be wrong. I dont own a conure so i'm just guessing.

OP
C

chaddlee78

Jun 25, 2007
Media
i live in Mississippi
Parrots
I have one Sun Conure but sometimes i get interested in acquiring a mate for him/she. I'm not sure rather sunnie is a he or she, so i at times call sunnie shim:).
yeah, i got him from a breeder. i saw his parents when i bought him and they were sun conures. I know he isn't a jenday conure. I'll have to get a newer picture of him and post it. I believe those pictures were a pretty good while back.

OP
C

chaddlee78

Jun 25, 2007
Media
i live in Mississippi
Parrots
there i go. i sent a new picture of him. I just took a picture of him. The picture is in the conure photo gallery.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, let's talk about this beautiful little birdie ... I believe that this is a sunny, he looks just like Hamlet ... So he's three years old and he has some green to him ... nothhing wrong with this variation ... I read in a couple of different publications that it is believed that female sunnies have less orange than males do, it's quite possible that you just have a little girl ... I wouldn't put a whole lot of concern into what type of breed (s)he is ... just be happy that (s)he's in your life and you couldn't have a better birdie! :D :)

~ :50:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
after seeing the more recent pic He definitly looks more like a sun than anything else maybe as he gets older he will molt and get even a little more yellow. such a unique combo of colors if you saw the parents and they were pure then he's gotta be a sun:) although I still think he more closely resembles a sunday - but you won't have to worry about him being a hybrid so that's great news - glad you got him from a breeder and welcome to parrot forums!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, Hamlet said that he didn't mind that I bothered him during breakfast, but he has green in his back too!

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

See, I think you just have a different coloration to your sunnie just like Hamlet looks a lot less orange than other Suns I have seen ... each bird is uniquely different in both attitude and design ... but between you and me ... they are the best birds you could possibly be owned by!

~ :50:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I've just been looking in the gallery and I noticed Emily (Sunconure) Kira, she too has a lot of green on her wing. But hey if I were you I'd def go with Tex on this one as he has Hamlet. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts