No hormones here.....yet.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
I think maybe I should feel guilty or something. Everyone I talk to is saying how their birds are hormonal and acting all crazy and stuff, yet my Gwen is being sweeter than normal right now. He is using his sweet voices and saying 'thank you' when given a treat, he is coming in and out of the cage without drawing blood. Whatever is in the air everywhere else, isn't here in the air in my house.......yet......;) . Actually, none of my birds are acting badly, they just seem normal. Maybe they know everyone has been sick here (I'm down with pnemonia) and they just feel sorry for us. I'm sure my time will come, but I'm enjoying that it hasn't arrived so far, especially when I don't feel good.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Maybe Gwen can have a word with Bucc the Brat, although he hasn't been as bad today as he has been.

Don't feel guilty, enjoy it.:04:

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
Don't feel guilty, enjoy it.

Oh I am enjoying it. No nips, no bites, no blood loss. :D Today I took Kiwi in the shower with me for a good drenching bath, which she desperately needed. She was great about it. I started to spray Gwen with a misting bottle, but he decided he wanted a better bath and asked for the large bowl I use as his bathtub. I wish I had a working video camera, because he was absolutely hysterical while bathing. He was singing and making all sorts of noises, all the while he is submerging in the water and kicking water onto his butt and flapping around like a drowning duck. He decided that my daughter needed a bath also and used his beak to throw a good amount of water on her too. I was dying laughing. I sprayed the other birds down also and they loved it, except on who was less than amused as usual. Nope, still no hormones here. :)

Dave

Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania-USA
Parrots
1 pet CAG--1 pet TAG--1 pet YC Macaw--2 pet Quakers--3 prs of breeder greys--not pets
Re: No hormones here/Allison

Allison
Just to let you know. Male CAGs and TAGs really don't go through any heavy duty hormonal changes. They may get a little antsy at times but that doesn't last very long ( a couple of weeks and it's sporadic--no set time of the year --just strutting their wares) It's the females that go through obvious hormonal changes and it lasts for about 1 to 2 mt. It doesn't seriously begin until the female is approx 4 to 5 yrs old . They'll get short tempered and nippy. BUT there's many females CAGs and TAGS that don't show any aggressiveness during those changes. They simply wanna a man which is what most women desire and crave and long for.-------Dave

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Ah well so in that case Alison it must just be a man thing, to get stroppy at the touch of a hat LOL.

Sorry Guys we love ya really:smile015: :40: :smile015:

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
Male CAGs and TAGs really don't go through any heavy duty hormonal changes. They may get a little antsy at times but that doesn't last very long

Thanks for posting that info Dave. I'm sure that not everyone knows that. I myself have dealt with many CAGS (and many other species also) over the last 12 years, so I do know about their hormones and aggression. I was specifically referring to my own CAG though since I've had Gwen for over 11 years. I generally know what to expect from him and approximately when to expect it. He is usually more aggressive during February, but every couple years, he doesn't start in until March. Thats why I said " I'm sure my time will come, but I'm enjoying that it hasn't arrived so far".

Ah well so in that case Alison it must just be a man thing,

LOL Peta, cranky, irritable, snippy and looking for a fight, yup, definitely a man thing. :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts