Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
I enjoy cooking and preparing foods for my birds. To me, whole foods are essential and provide so much more beneficial nutrients than commercially bought products.
I realize that eveyone does not have the time or inclination to do this, but when you do, fresh is enjoyed immensely by our birds.

Here's a simple recipe that's easy and is enjoyed by my birds. I've got plenty of recipes but I'll start you out slow and easy.

2 cups chopped or shredded carrots
5 apples sliced or chopped (peeled and cored)
2 tbs. whole wheat flour
4 tbs. honey
4 tbs. vegetable, olive or grape seed oil
3/4 cup orange or apple juice.

Place apples in a baking dish and cover with carrots. Sprinkle flour over the top and drizzle with honey and oil. Pour juice over the entire dish and bake for 40-50 minutes at 350° F Cool enough to serve warm to your birds.
Reheat any left over food before serving again.

Michael

PS I make and feed a large number of birds so I use a food processor (Cuisinart, Kitchen Aid, etc) to prepare ingredients for many of my food dishes. It's a time saver and eliminates tons of work for you.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That looks yummy, am gonna have to give that a go.

I'll let Gwen know what Bucc thinks of it Alison.

Thanks for sharing this Michael

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
That does sound good, but I'll have to wait for the official word from Bucc ;) . Wouldn't want to upset his Royal Highness, by not consulting Bucc first... :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Alison said:
That does sound good, but I'll have to wait for the official word from Bucc ;) . Wouldn't want to upset his Royal Highness, by not consulting Bucc first... :D

His lordship, has given the go ahead, he loved it. Now as you know he is real fussy so if he loved it then everyone will.:D

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Well alrighty then! Guess I have some baking to do. Thanks Bucc and of course you Greylady for relaying the message from Bucc ;) and Michael for the recipe.

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
YUM.. that looks delicious! Thanks for another wonderful recipe, Michael. We may just make that this weekend!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I have just noticed my post, how rude am I!!!!
THANK YOU MICHAEL
FOR THE RECIPE. Keep them coming.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Emily, It is great, Bucc loves it and so do the little guys. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts