View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
Thanked 3,029 Times in 968 Posts
charmedbyekkie will become famous soon enough
Re: A more compassionate approach to Pet owners from the "Non West"

To be very frank, this is definitely not the first time I have seen people forget the difference in cultures on this forum. As someone who had been fully accepted in two very different cultures and as someone who grew up in a multicultural household (that had the same struggles as every multicultural household does), I do believe that many people verbally say they understand that cultures are different, yet do not fully understand what that means. (Note that I am not blaming anyone.)

What is reserved in Western culture is still quite aggressive when viewed in other cultures. I know I now find most Americans (a group I was/am considered part of) to be incredibly aggressive. Yet when I code-switch, I realise that, in an American context, that American is actually quite soft-spoken. But in my current context, they come off as very brash, arrogant, and aggressive.

I myself had to change completely. Quiet, non-aggressive American Me still came across as aggressive when I first started assimilating into my non-American family's Me. I had to completely change my mindset (American Me has different values, politics, mannerisms, verbiage to Singaporean Me - so much so that I struggle to vote because the two Mes would vote very, very differently).

I even struggle to communicate now with my American friends because of these cultural differences in how things are phrased, what is acceptable to say, what connotations are implied/read.

TL;DR
So yes, to OP, it was aggressive. To the Westerners, it was not aggressive.
Both are equally true and valid. It just depends on if you want to speak in a Western style to a non-Westerner, or if you care to speak in another way.

@cairothedino on Instagram
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to charmedbyekkie For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (02-28-2020), Betrisher (02-27-2020), DaveTX (03-06-2020), Inger (02-27-2020), Jen5200 Supporting Member (02-27-2020), LaManuka  (02-27-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (02-27-2020), SailBoat Supporting Member (02-27-2020), SassiBird (02-27-2020), Scott  (02-27-2020)