Getting the bird in?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
The bird would rather starve than go into his cage for food or water.
He knows I will be closing the door sometimes but I try and let him go in and out as often as he wants. He wont let me hold him or take him to his cage. (we havent got that far yet). If I push it too much he gets cranky and tries to grab your hand and bite it. Im trying to avoid agro behaviour all the time. No aggressive games etc, but I need the control of putting him away quickly when I need to. (Answering the door etc).

(INSERT SWEAR WORD HERE)! I have waited 3 hours to get him into the cage, and as soon I turned to type up this post he walked (quietly, not flew) into his cage, ate, drank and (insert same word here with "ing" at the end) flew out again while I was away from the cage.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I had the same thing with Bucc when I first got him, What I did was (and this is gonna sound a lot easier than it really was) get him to step up, then clamp my hand down on those wings, and put him in, even though I wasn't going out, I then spent time playing with him, not easy when all he wanted to do was bite my hand off. He finally got it that the cage is a good fun place to be, Now he goes in on his own and when he wants to stay there, he will say night night, love ya. I also make sure that I give him a treat when he goes in, even now, well if he has been good.

Trouble you have is that he won't come to you, has Skippah got a favourite perch or place in his cage, If so you could try putting some seed, or other special treat, on that perch so he has to go in to get it, then make a big fuss of him, you could try leaving the door open so that when he has finished you take him out rather than him letting himself out. He needs to realise that the cage is a fun place to be, lots of toys and chewables, anything he likes. Good luck

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
ah ma kinda bird.:p Roxy wont go in for the men in the hoose unless she is in the right "mood" but she dont mess with me .....I don't need to say a word a wave of hormonal command and zip shes in. Bless.
I love this new found power and assertiveness that comes with physical (if not mental) maturity

Part of my job is introducing people to adopting a more assertive approach to life so its good to practice what u preach. And even better to reap the benefits.
I have worked with Aussie nurses in the past and u don't mess with them..maybe ask the lady of the house to train Skippah...shes prob trained u over the years:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
maybe ask the lady of the house to train Skippah...shes prob trained u over the years:D

I'm saying nothing, I'm already waiting for his solicitors to get in touch with me :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
The seed trick is wearing thin.
In the Morning he wants out bad and will just follow me from room to room.
He will let you touch him anywhere you like, and he will walk over your arm (and probably over his own Grandmothers body) to get FOOD, but he wont be picked up or held yet. He jumped on my arm and shoulder to eat once, but got off at his 1st opportunity.
Its the end of week 2. When does the training part of his brain slow down?
I dont want to leave it too late and I have to be back to work Tomorrow.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
PS; Im too hung over for witty responces, sorry.
Im realy really really sick and the bird wont leave me alone.
He picked today to start whistling at me in mono tones. Im too sick too whistle back. It makes my head hurt.
I need fluids and prescription medication.
Oh, and as expected, I dont want to go back to work.
Can I train birds for a living?
Apparently not.
Bugga.
Im really really really sick, and Debbie wont get up and look after me.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
When does the training part of his brain slow down?

Never, they are always willing to learn as long as its fun and rewarding. The earlier you can teach him the basics the better.

Another suggestion, on a weekend when your not at work, you could try to get him to step up on your hand and let you hold him, if he doesn't make him stay in a little longer :confused: You only need him to let you do it once, he will soon realise that by stepping up and you holding him he gets to come out earlier. :confused:

(I haven't tried this, so not sure if it would work or not maybe worth a try)

Hope your head is feeling better, I have tried to type quietly for ya.

P.S for Debbie, This is the best time to get up, when they are laid up feeling bad, all the things you want to do, that they fight you over you can now get done, they are too hung over to worry, and if they do give you grief you can always turn the radio up LOUD, usually works here. :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
What are the basix?
Stepping up.
Holding.
Coming on command?
going into his cage on demand?
pooing only in the cage?
What are the basic trix?

Thanx for typing quietly.
My head is ok. Its all transferred to the other end now.
I still dont want to go back to work. I have to be there in11.5 hours.

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
What are the basix?
Stepping up.
Holding.
Coming on command?
going into his cage on demand?
pooing only in the cage?
What are the basic trix?

That would depend on what you want from him,

For me, it was stepping up, touching of wings, (for getting harness on)
going into his cage,

Then everything else we work on over time.
Coming to me when I call,
touching all over, (handy for when he needs vets visits, he don't like that too much, and I have a lot of blood shed at this one :eek: )
Staying on his Java Tree when I tell him.
As far as tricks are concerned, I don't teach him any, he will do some, but that is what my son has taught him, he plays basketball and loves it.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I am having trouble getting my bird out and staying out, he just wants to go back in all the time!! When i walk past his cage he will jump to get back in, what to do? And when i try to get him out he runs and tries to hide somewhere!!! Atleast he wants to be with you, mine doesnt seem to want to get outside at all, dont know if he doesnt like us or what!!!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Mine was too curious for his own good.
If you went into another room and stayed quiet, He couldnt help himself. He would have to come and see what your doing.
I used seed and a small cannister. I shake the cannister and give him some seeds.
then I walk over to the desk, spill some out and shake the cannister. He flies over and eats it. You pat him while he does.
Is it cruel to suggest you take his food out of the cage 2 hours b4 you want to wok with him.
He will come to you for the food and then when you pat him while he eats, he gets less scared. Then you shake the cannister but dont spill any seed. when he comes over, just give him the headrub.
After he is addicted to the head rub and not the food, you have won.
Anyway, thats what worked for me. But I still cant hold him or get him sit on my hand if Im standing or moving. I still cant get him into his cage so I got lots of work to do.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
I am having trouble getting my bird out and staying out

same issue only mine is getting her out and keeping her from getting on top of the cage.. so sneaky, gets up there and acts like she is king kong or something. She don't bite me when I try to get her down, but sure is smart about getting out of arms length. Ya so just picture me running around in circles trying to reach her
"... all around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the... parrot?!?!"

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Now that you mention it, Skippah spends lots of time on top of his cage. Is this a bad thing?
I couldnt get him in last night or this Morning so I had to go to work with him out.
I put all his seed inside the cage and locked it up. I put out some water but thats all. Then when Debbie got hom 7 hours later she opened up the cage and in he went.
What am I doing wrong here?

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
If you haven’t already noticed I have been trying to establish dominance over Cricket. Maybe one of the main reason I might soon need an IV drip :D
I have been keeping little miss nibbles below eye level to tell here that I am the one in charge; and so far it seems to be going better because of it. I am a short person, 5" 2' (157.48 cm) and not even close to being eye level to the top of my cage. So her being up there makes her think she is head of the flock when, indeed, she is not. That is one reason why I am going to keep her wings clipped for now. Until I know that I would have any problems getting her down and into the cage and any point in time, they will stay clipped. That way I am running in circles around a small area trying to get her and not the whole house :cool:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Can't say I blame you for that, and keeping her below eye level is the best thing to do. I think that is the biggest problem with flighted birds, training takes twice as long, if they don't like what you are doing they fly off. If they want to get higher than you, they fly off. I was lucky with Bucc and he was quite content to stay with me for training. The next one I probably won't be so lucky and will then think of a wing clip all be it a short term one.

You are doing a great job with Cricket keep it up and you'll have a loving friendly happy bird. Its better to have a clipped happy friendly bite free parrot than a flighted one. Well done to you.

Skippah spends lots of time on top of his cage. Is this a bad thing?
Its not great as slowly he's training you.

I couldnt get him in last night or this Morning so I had to go to work with him out.
He's got just what he wanted.

What am I doing wrong here?
Your doing nothing wrong, its just the bird training the human. You have to show him that you are head of this household, not him.

ordenrahl

Nov 9, 2006
VT
Parrots
Lucky, a 10 year old Eclectus
Sorry, I'm not familar with your parrot, Eclectica. What parrot are you speaking of? Where did you get him/her? They just might need some time to get used to you. I would try giving him some of his favorite foods when he's outside the cage, like on a playgym or on a stand so he can figure out that being outside the cage is a fun place to be!

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Hi there ordenrahl, check out the eckie forum, there is my boy Kodie. I talked to my breeder yesterday, she told me to move his cage because he might feel insecure, so i did it. Also she said that i should remove anything that could interest him more to stay in the cage, he likes shredding newspaper, so i stopped it too.

We'll see how it goes now, he's been here for about almost 3 months and he remaines unchanged. I hope the move will get us closer together, he is not a nippy or screamy boy, he just never ever wants to be outside his cage. :(

Well, i am waiting for an email from the breeder, she said she will get some advice from the eclectus group and mail me with some info on what to do. Will keep you guys updated!!!

Most Reactions