Our two newest members of the family

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Finally found the two little Leopard Geckos that have joined our family. I never thought I would say this but they are very pretty. Have I been brave enough to hold them NO not yet :D. Luke was over the moon with them.

It turns out that we have a male (wait for it) female :eek: so I'll be having words with them.
The larger and braver one,
Picture030.jpg

Smaller and shyer(is that a real word) one of the two
Picture031.jpg

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Although reptiles are not my favourites I can say that they are pretty little creatures!Just watch out for the cat, my grandma's cat loves little lizards :eek: j/k I know your cat is well manered like the rest of the family pets! :p

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah not a big fan of Reptiles myself, in fact they scare me silly. But Andi (husband) and Luke (Son) really wanted them, and as Andi has never stopped me getting my birds then I didn't feel I could complain about having them.

The cat well don't think we've got much to worry bout there, she's so old she just doesn't have it in her anymore to even think about getting them. :D But just to make absolutely sure we have a lid on the tank or whatever its called.

Think the biggest problem would be Bucc and Kito, so the Gecko's don't come downstairs when the birds are out.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
I am a bit squeamish :eek: of reptiles, but these two little creatures are quite simply adorable! How big are they, Peta? I love the coloring. You most definitely will have to have the "birds & bees" talk with them so as not to have any more little geckos scurrying about! LOL

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I am a bit squeamish :eek: of reptiles

Same here.

At the moment they are really tiny, about 3" and they should only grow to about 8-10". I hope :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Geckos are cool, Christy's brothers both had a couple ... one of them lived like 10 years ...

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They are hiding at the moment, but once they get used to their surroundings they should be okay. They are pretty though and they look as if they are smiling at you. Two more plotting my downfall. :eek: :eek:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
It's a fair deal then with your husband! Actually you are luckier to have Bucc and Kito than the geckos, but don't tell him! :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D :D Yeah I think I got the best deal there, with all of them, even Gemini who is plucking really badly now :( Poor little soul has taken out all his back feathers, but he is letting some of his chest feathers grow back. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I know how you feel about it!It's heartbreaking to watch them doing this to themselves..:02:
But why is Gemini doing it?I mean he has a mate..
My Phoebus has reduced plucking, but some days he will pull out some feathers..
I don't know, sometimes it makes me angry, but then I feel sorry for him..Anyway, he is otherwise a healthy birdie now and I love him anyway!:)

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep Gemini is a healthy and happy birdie but just picks, its more of a habit than anything else. We did try a collar once but he was just so unhappy that we took it off. Wasn't prepared to have a unhappy bird, just for the sake of a few feathers. I can always get someone to knit him a jumper. :D He started this one year when he had a particularly bad molt, and ever since then he just picks all the time. :( We love him no matter what.

Just had a thought, yep hes got a wife, so maybe thats why he plucks, she nags him too much. :D:D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I have just been informed that the Gecko's are called "DelBoy and Rodney" don't know if you all know, but they are characters from an old comedy here in the UK called "Only Fools and Horses" :eek:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Same here.

At the moment they are really tiny, about 3" and they should only grow to about 8-10". I hope :D

Oh my goodness, they are teensy-weensy! 10'ish inches isn't too awful bad, eh? That is so adorable that they smile!! :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Well, that would be a nice idea to knit him a jumper :p! thanks I might get someone do it as well!:D Nice names for the geckos!are they tame to hold?

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Everyone has held them (apart from the wimp in the family - me) and they will walk up their arms and just lay there, I'm still not brave enough to let them do that. I don't mind looking at them through the glass but thats as close as I'll be getting for a while at least. :D They don't bite, its more of a suck than anything else but hey I'm not gonna find that out. :D Give me the birdies with the big sharp beaks I can handle them anyday.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Aww, what pretty little guys... you just wait until their skin changes to thier leopard print :D

No come on peta, you cant handle the scaly feet of a bird not to mention the blood drawing beaks but you cant touch a little itty bitty gecko? hehe

so how did you figure out thier sex? I know itr wasnt you who held them squirmy things down to look under their tails lol... well if y ou are right with the sex, be happy that you got two diff ones... the female tend to fight among them selves... matter of fact, most pet stores over here only sell males for that reason. You have the special order the female (not many people know that)

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
No come on peta, you cant handle the scaly feet of a bird not to mention the blood drawing beaks but you cant touch a little itty bitty gecko? hehe

I know, I blame the age (knew it would come in handy one day :D)

so how did you figure out thier sex? I know itr wasnt you who held them squirmy things down to look under their tails lol...

Well actually ............ okay no it wasn't me, it was the guy at the store. In fact while they were loose I was in the other room with the birds, totally taken with this baby Grey, who was the tallest baby I've ever seen. He was huge. :eek: In fact he made Bucc look small.

Most Reactions

Latest posts