4 Months old and already smarter than us ...

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, Hamlet has learned his first trick, and it is a way to get what he wants (go figure) ...

This afternoon, I went ot put him back in his cage after some cuddle time. I put him up to his perch and gave the STEP-UP command (which, I am proud to say, he knows very well). He started to step-up and put one foot on the perch and started to put the other foot up as to put it up on the perch, but then, swung the second foot QUICKLY OVER THE PERCH and then scurried up my arm and curled up under my chin again.:rolleyes:

Only three days in, and we already have our hands full. :eek:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is so wonderful and cute. Start to worry now, as they only get smarter the older they get. :eek: I've been trying to outwit Bucc for the past 2 years and so far he is well and truly in the lead. :D

How can you resist their little faces bless them they know just how to get to us. :D

When is Hamlets hatchday, and do you want it included in the hatchday list.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Yeah im with Darkchi there, mine also needs some advice from your cutie!! He is sometimes so full of nonsense, he doesnt even want to come out of his cage!

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ok, so I now have a SECOND example ... came home from having him weighed tonight (part of the agreement with PetCo, have to have him weighed after 72 hours of purchase to make sure he is gaining/maintaining weight ... which I am happy to say he left there at 112 g and he weighed in tonight at 109 g so it looks like he is maintaining [around 10% increase/decrease is the benchmark]) and put him in his cage while I ran to the potty/WC/loo/can/john (you get the point) and I didn't close the cage door ... I came out and he was standing in the middle of my living room floor ... he looked at me, flock called as if to say, "there you are I have been looking all over for you" and then came over to me and wanted to be picked up ...

OK, I just learned a lesson - CLOSE THE CAGE DOOR!!! :eek: luckily I got away with this one ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D I have done that one before, :D

Its a learning process all the time with birds, they are so dam smart :eek: They certainly keep you on your toes.

Another one to watch, is what you leave about, normal everyday things, mobiles (cell phones) tv remotes, So far Im on my 3rd remote and 2nd phone. Yep I left the phone and Bucc got hold of it. Kids left the remote and you guessed it Bucc got hold of it. Buttons missing, beak marks all over it. etc etc. :D Its a good job we love em.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Sneaky they are... turn my head for a sec and Cricket took a chunk out of my printer :eek: shhhh don't tell the boy friend :p

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That'll be our little secret. I didnt tell hubby about the tv remotes or the phone ;)

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Ok, she is starting to show her smarts...
While playing Cricket still in the cage (trying to get her over the cage aggression) I hand her one of those little birdy waffles for her to chew on. What she did and chew on it a couple times and drop it, I of course pick it up and hand it back. So what does she do again, play with it then drop it and once again I pick it up and gave it back to her. This is where I should of known something was up because she had her thinking pose on (head cocked with the neck feathers up) The next time she dropped it and I went down to pick it up from the bottom of her cage the little sneak took the chance to preform an escape act. Her only flaw was I came back up to quickly. When I stood up she was doing a split, one leg on the perch and the other 4 inches away on the door. Of course when I popped she pulled back to the perch quickly, did the little birdy "I didn't do anything" dance and cocked her head at me as if to think "foil again"

:rolleyes: :D silly bird

Most Reactions