View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 AM
Parrots:
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker not decided, Phoebe quaker female, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC RIP
Thanked 24,241 Times in 7,827 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road
Re: Possibly Sick Parakeet?

Hi,
psittscosis is vey contagious and persistent. It is also a very treatable and curable! A two week or longer treatment with doxycycline ( cheap antibiotics) for two weeks or longer all whil cleaning everything in the cage every day and throwing out anything soft that can’t be scrubbed or thrown in the washing machines. Exotic vets aren’t the best a true avian vet is the best. But for this I might ask the vet to treat all the bird for it, the meds are pretty safe doxycycline and the disease is well known and pretty common.

The picture of the eye, it could also have been a tumor, tumor are not that rare in parakeets

If you add anything to the birds water like vitamin stop, it rots in the water and throws off the gut flora. You could try offering a little live culture yogurt, just scrape a little spoon full near the food and try to temp them to lick it up, or offer on your finger, my parakeets will lick it up. Remove after ten minutes or so if they don’t the probiotic in the yogurt will help balance the gut. Pet stores in America sell probiotics for birds you can sprinkle on food never add to water. But I prefer yogurt to offer my birds once or twice a month

Parakeets are constant shedding those little down feathers that’s normal, as is a random over feather here and there.

You can get a digital kitchen gram scale and start tracking your burdscweights this is a very good practice!!! I do it for all my birds,

Also parakeets seem to really love leafy greens, does your parakeets get any leafy greens or veggies? If never had might take a little while for them to try but still Ofer every day, offer choppy up veggies on plate in the bottom of the cage, for leafy greens I spear them in a stick, or weave in the bars if the cage, they seem to like to nibble leaves that are hanging better and romaine is a favorite !
[
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurasea For This Useful Post:
thegeeko (06-10-2020)