Thread: Stubborn parrot
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Thanked 18,146 Times in 4,669 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road
Re: Stubborn parrot

I once had a mature age cockatiel who point blank REFUSED to even recognise pellets as food. I tried every recommendation from my (most excellent) vet, online and by the pellet manufacturer and she pretty much would have preferred to starve to death rather than eat them! Her fellow cockatiel would happily munch away on his pellets but she was having none of it. Finally what worked for me was grinding pellets into powder in a mortar and pestle and sprinkling it over her seeds to get her accustomed to the taste. Et voila! Within days she converted over and ate them like she had been doing so all her life!

"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaManuka For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (07-22-2020), Inger Supporting Member (07-11-2020), Scott  (07-12-2020)