Sorry looking macaw

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Our local pet store is a small family run shop, they have their scarlet macaw in the shop with them at all times. A couple of days ago I was in the shop and decided to talk to the owner, asking questions of his parrot. He is now looking very old, his eyes are dull and his feathers have seen better days. I asked the owner how old the parrot was and to my horror he told me, 33 years young, and for a macaw that is young. I was horrified as to look at him you would have thought he was nearing the later end of his life. I have been in touch with the local rescue centre who have informed me there is nothing they can do, unless I can prove that the bird is being mistreated. My aim was not to cause trouble but to make sure that the bird was not suffering in anyway. The owner is not a very pleasant sort of man, and is not keen on talking to his customers. I shall be keeping an eye on the bird and maybe trying to talk to rescue centres again.

It makes me so mad that a magnificent bird like the macaw is allowed to get into the state that this one is in and the owner doesn't even seem to realise :mad: Sorry for the ranting but I was so horrified.

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
I have a small locally owned shop that they keep their scarlett Macaw there too, but the bird is only about 15 years, but is in better shape...Good Luck

Maybe you could try talking to the owner?

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
So many people have tried talking to owner but he's not interested in listening to anyone, his reply is "its my bird and if you don't like it then leave my shop". Makes me so mad :mad:

Have been on the internet most of the afternoon, looking at rescue centres and as yet have not seen one that looks like this bird. I'll keep trying, and maybe have a word with a few others. Hopefully we can get him to see sense, we are not trying to say he's a bad owner but maybe if we can get some things changed then in time more will happen.

Lets hope.

Most Reactions