Jess is doing better

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Took Jess back to the vets today, and she is doing slightly better, we are able to manage the pain relief with Metacam, which she is gonna be on now for the rest of her life, she also has a skin problem (which we have been saying for a lot of years now) the vet we saw last week has given her some special shampoo, which should help with the skin. We also has some blood work taken, and should get the results of those sometime within a week. So all being well with the bloods, she is good, Ancient but good. :D :D Needless to say we are over the moon, and just hope for good news with the blood work, At the moment she is comfortable and not in any pain which is great, I'll keep you all informed as to the blood work results.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Peta, this is very positive and hopeful news! Hoping that the blood workup will show everything normal and stable.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Good News.. I know we cant keep our pets going for ever..but it is sure hard to imagine life without them. Well done u getting the best for her Kx

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks guys,

Forgot to mention she's also got a skin condition, had it for years, and all the vets have said the same things Fleas, when we know she doesn't have fleas, (She has a flea allergy, so we have to keep her as clear as we can) this vet gave her a good look over and gave us some shampoo to use, (I'll let ya know what it is later, I'm upstairs on my Sons putor) we have to give her a bath every 3 days with this shampoo and leave it on for 20 mins :eek: Ah thats going to be fun, trying to keep her in the bath for 20 mins. She's kinda like a feather plucker, she pulls all the hair out from her back leaving a strip of it running down the center. :18: She looks a bit like a punk rocker.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I'm really happy for you and Jess!:)
It was a big relief I'm sure, because you were expecting to hear other things..
Thank God you didn't! Let's hope for the best from now on..:)

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Still got to wait another week for the blood work to come back, but she's gonna be just fine. :D

because you were expecting to hear other things..

Yes I was, even tho I did keep trying with the thinking positive, I just kept coming back to what ifs. No more thinking that way from me, I won't allow it. :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Hmmm..any ideas as to what the skin condition is?

Jazzmenn gets really bad hay fever in the late summer/early fall. Her skin becomes so red & itchy. She's a dalmatian, and her skin gets so red that she just looks pink with black spots.

Good news though on Jess. I hope the blood work comes back good too!

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks Nicole,

Have no idea what the skin condition is, but some sort of dermatitis. Once we have the results of the blood test ten we are gonna think about the skin condition. The vet didn't want to be pulling her about too much as her back leg was still crunching a little. :(

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh dear, Peta ... I sense your turmoil, yet you are trying desperately to be positive. I feel for you and little Jess to bathe so often (and for 20! minutes, oh mercy!). I wondered quietly how you could both stay comfortable for that length of time each bathing. But, I know you'll find a way.

Be hopeful about the blood results. But, also, try (hard as it is) to be realistic. Jess is not as sprite as she once was ... and the results may come showing wear and tear on some of her organs (but, in most cases, for her age, that is normal). Try to keep in mind what will be normal and expected for her age group.

I'm glad that she is finding some measure of relief with the Metacam. That she is not suffering is key. And, I know, that that is what you most dearly and deeply care about.

You and your family (human and fid, alike) are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a wonderful mama with a caring, doting heart (that comes through loud and clear). Jess, I've no doubt, knows that and thanks you with her soul.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Deanna, Thank you so much, your words mean so much to us. Its so hard to think of her being so old and knowing that some day soon.................. We are waiting for blood work, and taking it one day at a time. Every day is now a bonus.

At the end of the day, I will not allow her to suffer, she has been so good to us these last years and has always looked after us no matter what. Now it is our turn to do the same for her.

Thank you again, your words are beautiful. :07:

Most Reactions

Latest posts