skin colour?

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Today as I was giving Phoebus a shower I noticed that the skin colour at his pits was not as white as the rest of his body.
Is that with all birds?
Has anyone noticed such a thing or can somebody whose bird lets him find out and tell me?
Or should I just give the vet a call anyway? (I know he will tell me to take him over to see him)

And something else. He keeps rubbing his beak at the top of his cage when he is on it at the corners which are kind of harsh at some points..His beak has flakes on the external part and I can see new clean part under it? Is it normal what he is doing, or can this destroy his beak?can't he feel it if that is bad for his beak?

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
what he is doing with his beak is normal... my baby is a big rubber LOL

under the wings... hmmm.... yeah I would say it could be a diff color... less/more blood vessels could do that... but I am not positive

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
All mine rub their beaks on something or other, its just their way of keeping it in trim, the beak is like our fingernails, growing all the time. Its also very hard, I mean have you ever had the beak slap, :eek: Bucc has managed to catch me on occasion with that beak and boy does it hurt. :D The skin colour is normal as well, but if you are at all concerned or worried then its always worth having a word with your vet. They are the experts and will be able to explain it much better than we can. I have a saying here "If in doubt call him out" (well I call up and get an appointment but that doesn't have the same kinda ring to it. )

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet's beak has flaked like 4 times in the year I have had him ... I agree with Peta, normal - but if you are really concerned - Avian vet ... as to skin color ... normal, think about your dog's or cat's skin under their fur - or for that matter, human skin ... pigmentation is always different - I say normal, but if you are concerned - Avian Vet

Most Reactions

Latest posts