Feeding question?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Should Skippah ever have need to be really hungry?
I feed him lots of foods, but he will only eat seed.
I feed him a bowl about 1/2 full and he goes beserk, like he is starving. If given his way he would has gone thru it all in about 1/2 an hour. If I were to refill it, he would go at it again, until it was empty. In theory, he would eat until there was no more seed. If I leave him an empty the seed bowl for the whole day, he seems ravenous when I do feed him.
In short, if I put up unlimited food, I doubt he would ever stop eating.
Should I stop feeding him constantly?
Feed him only once and when its gone, its gone?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Should I stop feeding him constantly?

No.

In that case I would cut down on the seed to maybe 1/4 full, then when that is gone I would put pellets, fruit etc in there, If he's really hungry he would eat it, (maybe not the pellets but the fruit.) Then in the evening maybe give him his other 1/4, it may be the way to get him to eat different things. Does he eat any kinda fruit? If so then put in the things you know he will eat and gradually add other bits for him.

Skippah is a smart bird, and I'm sure that he's gonna make you feel real guilty for doing this awful thing to him, :D But if he will eat a few different foods then its gonna be far better for him. Good Luck, let us know how you get on, What ever you decide to do, don't feed him constantly.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I would suggest that you pretend eating the food that you know is healthy for him but he won't eat it when he has a choice.It always works with my birds, they won't eat quantity first time but will gradually get used to the taste.
And I do something else.I have got a separate plastic little bowl where he gets treats and things he likes very much which I always remove from his cage as soon as he finishes eating.You should see him and hear him when he listens to the noise of this bowl tapping in the kitchen getting his favourites ready.So I tried giving him things, healthy food, that he is not very fond of and he ate it.Only don't do that all the time I mean stop the treats and other goodies in that bowl because he will finally get the point. :D
As far as the seed is concerned Phoebus had never tried fruit or vegies before I got him. He was a bit suspicious in the begining but I told you the way I made him eat almost everything. Most times I mince all together putting a bigger amount from the one he likes to suit him better in taste such as banana or peach. :)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Agree with Peta ... go her idea ... Skippa wont let himself starve, and you need to wean him off the birdie crack!

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Yeh agree with eating what u want him to eat. If its on a plate at the table Roxy steals ..runs..and eats. In a bird bowl shes fussy.;)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Yeh agree with eating what u want him to eat. If its on a plate at the table Roxy steals ..runs..and eats. In a bird bowl shes fussy.;)

Karen, I don't think that's just Roxy ... :05:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Bucc is the same way, Kito however has to have everything in HIS bowl. (but then he's one very strange little Grey) :D He had a piece of cheese yesterday and had to put it in his bowl before he would eat it. :confused: As I said very strange :D

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I had sort of this situation too RedBalloon. When I moved my one (now RIPing) buddy budgie from the big cage into this own (he was getting death threats from his roommate - long story) he ate like he never ate before too. I think he wasnt getting enough food before (said roommate) and he was hungry. He ate (pellets) almost consistently for about 2 days - eat, poop, sleep (in his food bowl), repeat. All he would touch was his pellets, so i gave him pellets. I knew he was not going to hurt himself, and when he was satisfied (either full or confidant he will have free access to his food) he stopped and began eating normally again. I don't know what to advise per se, but this is my experience. Hope it helps. Keep us in the know about how things are going please :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts