birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
ok i don't know if i have mentioned misty's (my cockatiel) egg laying problems. so far this year alone she has to be close to 24 or 25 eggs! she layed two straight clutches of nine eggs earlier in the year. I left them in there untill she abandoned them and all that. Then a couple of weeks ago she started laying again I figured I didn't have anything to lose and she didn't seem as intrested in them as usual so as soon as she layed one I took it out she layed three then stopped. Today I have her out of her cage while I'm doing school everythings cool I put her back in while i go grab something to eat come back and out of the blue she's layed an egg! and she is super protective of it like never before.This time though she didn't have any of the pre-egglaying symptoms she usually does. I've tried everything I've read -keeping her cage dark for long periods, then keeping it well lit, removing all mirrors from her cage, rearanging it frequently ( i just did this not 4 days ago), plenty of time outside the cage the bird has more than 20 toys i keep frequently rotated anytime she start whistling through her rear end on her perch i spray her with water and move the perch. I just don't know what to do! I've even considered giving her to this place i found on the internet that has an open aviary for just cockatiels where they are free to nest as they please and if this is the best thing for her i will but i really do love her i just don't want to worry about her getting egg bound all the time! it doesn't seem to matter what the season is. any advice is appreciated thanks i know this is kinda long and i'm really tired so my grammer is horrible :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi Kelli, you don't say whether Misty has been mated, or is it just egg laying? and no chance of them being fertile.

Have you got any cuttlefish for misty also egg food these will help also plenty of fruit and veggies can't do any harm.

I understand you love Misty very much or you wouldn't even think about giving her to someone else. I'm afraid no one can help you with this one, its something only you can decide. This is a big decision for both you and Misty, please don't make a rash decision when you are tired, think very carefully what is best for you and your bird. I wish you all the very best with this its a very hard one. Please let us know what you decide,

I have two cockatiels Male and Female, and they are in the process of laying eggs right now, yes today :eek: Even though they are laying eggs we have never had any successful eggs as the female just drops them to the bottom of the cage and doesn't give them a second thought. :( For what its worth Leo has never become egg bound or had any problems related to that. I wish you all the best.

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
no, misty has never been mated - I really don't want to deal with babies I would consider it but in the town/city I live I don't think there would be much market for them, and I don't have room to keep a large flight cage for them if I couldn't find homes. We will see how this time goes I'll keep you updated with how many she lays as of right now I left the egg in the cage since she seemed so protective of it.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That seems like a good idea, theres no point in stressing her out, and as there's no chance of babies she will soon abandon the egg.

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Ok so we have 3 eggs now and she's super protective of them she bites at me if i go anywhere near her cage!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats a natural instinct, she's protecting her unborn babies from everyone. Even birds who have been mated but have laid infertile eggs will abandon them once they realise that they are no good. She will soon abandon them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts