macaws warming up to you?

dancingwithbears

Jul 5, 2007
Media
hey all,

i was wondering how you guys got your birds to warm up to you. i am feeding them with treats thru the bars but taking them out, they really dont like that to much yet. they are older one is 21 and the other is 11. they were both given to me so i know it will take a little longer but what can i do to speed things up.

thanks

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Lets see ... you want to speed things up ... um, NO! GO AT THEIR SPEED! DO NOT PUSH THEM! A little time spent now building relationships AND TRUST will mean the difference a year down the road ... I know you are probably really excited with your new flock members, just give them time to adjust to the new situation. You will build a stronger bond with them and they will let you keep all ten of those "silly little things" at the end of your hands ... :D

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Welcome, and I'm going to have to agree with Tex (Tex, start saying ridiculous things again so I can constantly taunt you!!!!), the birds need to go at their own pace to trust you.

And no matter what Tex says, you don't really need ALL "ten of those those "silly little things" at the end of your hands"...

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
I, too, agree ... and, I, too, am in a similar situation as are you runningwithbears.

Excepting that my fid is a lil wee Parrotlet. It is very, very difficult for me to reign my wishes, desires, hopes in ... to accomodate the trust level of my little fellow Timothy. I must always remember the harder I push (unintentionally, and inadvertantely as it may be), the longer I prolong our true bond to one another.

Timothy calls the shots ... I *do* challenge him; but, when my challenges are not realistic, it blocks our progress ten-fold.

Welcome and best to you!!! You've lovely little creatures--the pics were very nice.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
And no matter what Tex says, you don't really need ALL "ten of those those "silly little things" at the end of your hands"...

*looking at Minzer's hands* 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... and a half ... 4 .... 5 ... and another half, well, that's 6 .... 7 ... 8 ... and a half ...

I see it's been a pretty good week with Iggy hasn't it ... :p

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hey welcome back you two :D :D Its been so quiet here Minzer.

Anyway have to agree with Tex, if you push them too much you're gonna regret it later. Go at their pace, once they learn to trust you things will move quicker.

Agree, but its quite nice to have them there intact.:18: :18:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I don't have big birds (but I *do* have a yellow one who thinks she's big) but yeah, best thing is to go at their speed, and keep in mind you WILL get at least one chomp (bite) from them ... I like to think of chomps as love gnaws though. ;)

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
I'm going to agree with everyone here.

Relationships with parrots are based on mutual trust, so don't push things too fast, or they may not trust you the way you would trust them. This may take longer, but it's worth it in the long run. :)

NoTx

Jul 25, 2007
Macaws can be a bit standoffish. Honestly, the best way I know to gain their trust is a combination of: talking with them, singing with them, feeding them, and the number one part, lots of face time. You have to spend prodigous amounts of time to get to know each other. Preferably in a calm enviroment.

Thats what I think at least. Your mileage may vary.

Celeste

Sep 4, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, English Buddgie, considering a Hyachinth
I am new to the site and just read all your posts. Thank you all for your contributions. I am about to adopt a Hyacinth from a friend. She is 13 and very tame and loving with her owner. She views me with suspicion. But is willing to get on my arm and spend a little time getting to know me (as long as her Mom is around). My instincts from training other types of birds ( Cockatiels and Ringnecks) were to give her time, treats, and lots of visits before the transfer.
My next question is inside - or outside - or both????

Jackson

Aug 16, 2009
Upstate New York, USA
Parrots
2 Blue + Gold Macaws
1 Catalina Macaw
Hi, I adopted my first B+G macaw from a rescue last year at this time 9/08. She was about 15 yrs old. It has taken me most of this entire year for her to really warm up to me. I started with baby steps. First I would stand by her cage and talk to her and give her a small treat when she was out on her play stand, then I would put my arms on the cage and lean my chin on them. Next, she let me scratch her head. All this time she was right in the living room where I could interact with her on a moment to moment basis. We are now very close friends. She gives me kisses and rides on my shoulder while I do my chores. She is very sweet and loving but, we went at her speed.

In the dog world, experts say it takes two years for an adopted/rescued dog to fully acclimate to its new home. That I know to be very true.
Good luck with your new babies :blue1:

Darius

Sep 10, 2009
Fraser Valley British Columbia Canada
Parrots
2 African Grey Congo
1Yellowcrowned Amazon, 1 Indian ringneck
1 Severe Macaw
1 Harlequin Macaw
I have 4 recued birds from horrible circumstases I've found each one has taken different lengths of time to warn up to me. I think the longest was about 8 months and that was with at least 2 hours of total one on one time on a daily basis. Rescued birds are a little more difficult to gain trust with because their trust in humans has been betrayed it takes lots of love and patients to win them over. Its worth it though I have never done anything in my life that has been more rewarding then turning a scared very unhappy bird into a bird that is loveing and happy and well adjusted again Its a wonderful legacy.

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
Yes, go slow. Try putting your hand gently on the side of the cage, and feeding them some peanut butter on a chopstick. Every day make it so the peanut butter is closer and closer to your hand until you can feed them treats through the bars. If they are REALLY afraid of you, every day pull a chair next to the cage (about six feet away), and read or talk on the phone or eat. Then gradually move the chair closer and closer to the cage each day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts