TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
OK, so I am home for about an hour between my two jobs this afternoon (I usually don't come home between them, but with Christy being away I had to come give the boys some out of cage time that they would normally get when she came home after work... ) and I let them onto their tree stand so they could do their business and Mac went without issue - but Hamlet, on the other hand, has me worried a touch ...

He pooed, with a lot of effort, poo colored liquid ... really watery and runny ... now my first reaction is "OH GOD WHAT'S WRONG" then I thought about it for a while .. he had a lot of fruit for breakfast (apples, papya, banannas) this morning, and he is acting 100% like himself, nothing out of the ordinary ... infact right now he is trying to chew the buttons off my shirt ...

So, I think that everything is alright, but I am going to monitor this one closely for the next two days while I am home so I hope this clears up before I have to leave ... HOPEFULLY it's just the fruit and everything will be, umm, back to normal in a few hours ...

Any advice from you guys out there?

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
No advice Tex ... just do what you are planning ... Give a close eye to the next 24-48 hours, have a sip of brandy (calm the nerves!!). ;) :D

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oops, tried to edit and messed up ...

On second thought ... can you comfortably isolate Hamlet from Mac? Just a thought? ...until it resolves.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I think it's probably the fruit as you said.
Phoebus does it sometimes when he has a lot of fruit.
Watch him closely as you said but I don't think it's something to worry.
I feed Phoebus boiled rice together with the fruit sometimes, as rice has this effect on humans, I mean when you are sick at your stomach..
try giving him some maybe..

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
probably the fruit I read somewhere that they can have really watery poo if they have ingested a lot of water during a bath or playing in their water dishes.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Good news folks ... 5 hours later and all is "normal" again ... nice solid feces, white urates ... all is clear on the poop front!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
When I'm feeding fruit to my guys I always try to have some rice and chicken nearby, for that exact same reason, :eek: I'm glad that everything is back to normal, but yeah its very frightening when you see this.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I could answer that one, but, for once, I am going to behave

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
On the subject of BIRD poops...

Our conures LOVE papaya...a little too much and sometimes it gives their poops a redish color and the first time I saw this I FLIPPED OUT.

But of course, everything checked out okay. :)

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
:eek: Why what you up to? :D :D :D

Just because I am not making noise does not mean that I am up to no good ... it's just a pretty good indicator that I might be thinking about being up to no good! :p

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
I once done a bright blue poo. It was the sweeties I was eating had loads of colour in them.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
NOW THAT MIGHT BE too much info right there Karen, thanks!

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Well I know some people who swear the have pood a famous person lookalike.

I think as an x nurse I probably have an unhealthy and over familiar attitude to bodily fluids etc. so Sorry ..
I ahve loads of poo..stories but I suppose I should look for a pooforum.com..gonna do that now.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
OMG u really wouldnt cedit the crap good choice of adjective u can find on the web. DONT check out "rate my poo" oh yeh its for real

Most Reactions

Latest posts