Cecil & I

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
I am stunned (understatement). First, I guess, I will tell you Cecil’s story. I call her my $350 rescue bird. She came from a purported “breeder” that turned out to be a hoarder :( of hundreds and hundreds of birds. She was “supposed” to be a baby hand fed, hand raised Senegal of genteel disposition. She was our first parrot. And, I had my heart set on her from the original phone call to the “breeder”. So, when we went to meet her, we were both beyond appalled at the conditions of the entire home :eek: . I won’t begin to go into the situation in its entirety, but Cecil was a biting terror :eek: :eek: :eek: … scared beyond belief. I frantically wrote a check out for $350, threw it at the breeder, grabbed our birdie and ran like the dickens to get her (Cecil) and us out of there.

The next two weeks, Cecil spent chainsawing my hands into pounds of hamburger (my first introduction to needing Band Aids on hand!!!) … then, suddenly, she laid eyes on my hubby and fell madly (literally, head over heels :bigkiss: ) in love. From that point, he was able to have her step-up, pet her, place his hand on her back and pick her up from the back. Had I tried that, my hands would have been bloodied something fierce.

But, tonight, after I was showing my hub what Moj and Cec could do together on the play perch, I gently asked her to step-up onto my finger, and (what I thought was stupid, but worth a try) placed my hand at her back … she DIDN’T even flinch! I gripped her wings and gently flipped her onto her back and scratched her tummy!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

I am so honored that she would allow me to do that!! I, as a human, cannot begin to imagine the amount of trust that took!

I’m just with disbelief. *boggle*

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
You know, we talk about "those moments" (you all know the ones, it's where you know things are going to be OK from there on out) and I think, Denanna, you just had one of those! Congrats ... hard work, and not rushing her, allowed you to gain her trust!

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Wow!Good job!:35:

You must be very proud of yourself and her of course for giving her the time she demanded and now she paid you back! :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is truly awesome, I'm so very happy for you. That really took something for Cecil to put all her trust in you, so a really big well done to you, you have brought her this far without pushing her too fast, You'll remember this time for ever. It truly is a "One of them moments" time.

WELL DONE TO YOU BOTH.:D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh thank you for all of your nice and encouraging words!! You will probably laugh at me, but I wondered if it was by accident (an anomoly of sorts) that Cec let me pick her up for a belly scritch ... so, I decided to try it again (and she let me!!), then I tried again and again ... the whole time she just soaked up the attention and enjoyed herself immensely! I'm still shocked!! :eek: But, man o man, that is just way too cool!! (And, again, I am honored that she would offer me the trust that she has).

I do believe we've reached that juncture, as many of you have spoken of, that "everything is going to be OK" ... I still HIGHLY respect that my hubby is her mate (she lives and breathes for him), but I happily take second seat to him and truly enjoy my time with Cec now--the trust is very real, amazing.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I do believe we've reached that juncture, as many of you have spoken of, that "everything is going to be OK" ... I still HIGHLY respect that my hubby is her mate (she lives and breathes for him), but I happily take second seat to him and truly enjoy my time with Cec now--the trust is very real, amazing.

Theres your reason for her trust, you are not trying to come between her and her man.

Way to go you. Brilliant.

Most Reactions

Latest posts