Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Well I have some great news as of yesterday that I can't wait to share. I had recently been told of a Mealy Amazon that was dropped off at a pet store where I have a friend that works. This gorgeous Amazon was in a cage that was about 20" Long x 12" wide x 20" high. If that wasn't bad enough the cage had about 2 inches of poop covering it. This Amazon has been fed a diet of sunflower seeds and candy. The lady who had owned her dropped her off admited that men have flicked books at this Amazon. Needless to say now she is quite nervous around men. All that this woman has said about the Amazon was that she thought it was a Yellow Naped, it was approximately 29 years old and its name was Pepsi. Well she is actually a Mealy Amazon. She looked like she had never had her nails trimmed, some were cracked off and others were growing right around back into her feet. Her beak was in such a mess.

She has been brought to the vet to be checked out, nails trimmed, beak fixed, and wings clipped since she had flight and the pet store doesn't usually sell parrots unless their wings are clipped. She also had blood work done to make sure she is healthy.

Well I have seen her since she has returned from the Vet and she is finally able to climb around, which couldn't be done before with her nails the way they were.

I have decided to take on quite a rewarding challenge and bring Pepsi home to live with us. She is not hand trained at all but very friendly. I can not wait to show Pepsi what it is like to be loved and spoiled. I plan on making the rest of her life much more enjoyable then the first 29 years.

I will keep you all updated on Pepsi and have lots of pics very soon.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I know that these types of stories really upset me (as they probably do all of you) people who get birds and don't understand thier needs and can not care for them properly :( . Cudos to you Tracy for taking on a worthy adventure! Can't wait to see the pics of this very unlucky, but yet, very lucky Amazon. :cool:

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
So good to hear a happy ending "start" for Pepsi. Roxy our orange wing has just shredded a SUM 41 poster...now started on a toilet roll holder. She completely wrapped herself in toilet paper yesterday...had to be rescued,that got me brownie points.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Tracy, that is great news. I'm so very happy for this little amazon.

I took on my Rosella and Red Rump from conditions very similar to those that Pepsi has suffered, it has taken a long time, but they are totally different little guys now, They never made a sound, were scared stiff when I cleaned the cage and when I took food and water out to be changed they would really freak out, They only used to get clean water once in a while. Its heartbreaking, but that first time they decide to trust you is amazing.

I know that Pepsi is gonna have the best life ever now, and has finally found his forever loving home thanks to you. I look forward to seeing lots and lots of pictures and hearing all about him. I hope this is readable, I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face just thinking of the life he has had, and a huge big smile on my face for the life that he is about to have

Good Luck to you. A big hug from us all to you.

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I can not contain my excitement or do any work (I'm currently at work) We get to take her home today!!! Already she is spoiled I have bought so many toys for her last night that I can't fit them all in her cage or she won't be able to move. She is such a special bird thats been through a life no person or animal should have to know. If I had of been there when she was brought in I would have wanted to hit the lady that had her. I will never know how anyone can do that.

Well I'm starting the countdown until I'm finished work and get to go pick her up. Ok here it is the official countdown:

4 hours and 24 minutes... :51:

I'm like a kid at Christmas!!! :D

Thanks everyone for all the support and thnks in advance for all the advice I'll probably come looking for!!! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks everyone for all the support and thnks in advance for all the advice I'll probably come looking for!!! :D

Of course you know there is a fee for all our advise, ........ are you ready for the very steep price............................ Lots and lots of ................ pics. :D

Also you are very welcome in advance. Its great that you are doing this. Have added a little welcome for Pepsi in the Hatchday Thread. I am also on countdown now, I'm getting so very excited for you. :D

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Thank you so much for the little welcome, brings tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for her and myself of course... :bunny7:

I think I should be able to afford that price of lots of pics. Hopefully she's not camera shy. If she's anything like my Senny she'll pose for the camera :pic:

1 hour and 55 minutes left to go...

Won't come fast enough...

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Well we got her home and she's wonderful, here are a couple of quick pics for now. Shes a little afriad of the camera but many more to come soon.

Attachments

• Pepsi1....jpg
    Pepsi1....jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 388
  • Pepsi....jpg
    Pepsi....jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 416

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Tracy -- you say she's 29 ... Tell her she looks great for her age ;)

What a wonderful new companion ... you can almost see in her eyes that she knows things are going to be so much better for her ... CONGRATS again!

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Well here I am at work, just starting so, awhile before I get home to see her. Yeah we are told she is 29 years old and she does look great. She wasn't very easy to get out of the cage at the pet store. Considering she is not hand trained and doesn't know you can use a hand as a perch. I have my work cut out for me when she becomes for comfortable.

We brought her home in a pet carrier and when we laid her down in our place she started dancing. Climbed right into her new cage and went straight for her bird kabob toy.

She even let us hand feed her fruit and nuts, which we probably gave her too many treats but it was her first day home.

After one short hour you can see the difference in her, she even said hello to my boyfriend. Which is great because we were told she couldn't talk.

And of course the eyes say everything, they don't look scared or sad anymore. I think she knows she is home.

I don't want my Senegal to get jealous so I need to spend lots of time with her as well, so now twice as much of my time is gone to parrot time. I wouldn't want it any other way.

A trip is being planned to the Parrotdise Perch warehouse as soon as I save a few hundred so I can really spoil her.

Well I'll keep everyone updated on her progress and get lots of pictures soon!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
She is beautiful, and yeah the eyes and body language say it all, and boy does she ever look happy.

Hey as far as feeding her too many nuts, don't worry about it, she is now gonna be having the most healthy diet she ever had in her life, and as you say it was her first day home. A little bit of extra spoiling never hurt any of us.

I am so glad that you are able to afford our fees :D We look forward to you paying some more fees very soon. (Both of them would be even better) ;) don't want much really do I :eek:

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Here's the latest update on Pepsi...

She's still wonderful... Playing with her toys alot more, but still a little nervous with us and she don't let us touch her yet. I decided to let Popsicle and Pepsi see eachother yesterday for the first time... Well I couldn't quite tell if she wanted Popsicle as her new friend or as a snack... :eek: Then she started making the loudest sound I think I'm ever heard so that was enough introduction for one day...

Well I'll keep everyone posted on how everything turns out...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for the update Tracy, I'm glad it is all going really well, and as long as Pepsi is only "thinking" of Popsicle as a treat and not actually having her for a treat.

Keep us updated on their progress. :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
She heard "Popsicle" and thought she would have a lick... maybe she just didn't know Popsicle was a real bird, maybe she thought she was a bird shaped frozen treat :D

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
LOL Good thing I didn't show her my Gerbil his name is Snickers :p

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
I was going to name my bird Pickles but I seemed the only one to like the name :p I guess I has to be a "sweet" treat or something.. or she would have to be green for it to work :D

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
LOL Pickles I love that name maybe I could use that one for the next parrot, if its not already named. Both Popsicle and Pepsi had there names but I kept them, and we got a theme going. Names that start with "P" and are a food or drink. So Pickles could work! :p

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Well I got back home last night and went straight over and said hello to Pepsi like I always do. She came over to the bars of the cage put her head down so I could give it a little scratch.

I was so excited this has been the first time in her life apparntly that she has wanted to be touched. Needless to say she got lots of treats and tols how good she was!!! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is great news Tracy, you can now say that your Pepsi is one happy bird. She knows she has found a forever home, and a great one at that. Love Kindness and Understanding, what more could a bird want. I'm so happy and excited for you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts