Is PVC Glue Poison ????

desperadosdl

Jun 7, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey
:confused: I am making a play gym and stand out of 1/2 " PVC pipe for our African Grey but don't know if I can use PVC glue on the fittings? I don't know if the glue is poison if ingested. What should I use to keep the stand in one piece? What have others used on home made PVC stands Is a toxic free glue available that I can use any suggestions thanks in advance. :confused:

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I personally wouldn't use glue of any sort for making things for my birds, you can guarantee they will find the smallest bit of it and start chomping on it.

I would use screws, ropes, nuts and bolts etc. You can even find corner brackets, a X shaped thing and a T thing, all in pvc piping (Now that makes a lot of sense, hope you can see what I'm trying to say though,) maybe someone will be able to give you their proper names later on. :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
I was going to use glue on mine - you actually put it inside the tubes when you attach it so none should be accessible to the outside of the actual play gym. I ended up not using glue because it seemed sturdy enough but after moving it several times it is starting to get weeker so I reccomend glue or some kind of reinforcement especially for larger birds - i used 1-2 inch as well but it's mainly for my two teils. Also, it helps if you but it in a container then put corn cob bedding around the base to help weigh it down.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I was going to recommend the nut/bolt attachment way, or screws etc ... also, it allows you to change the perches without taking the whole thing apart. I'd also do an X shape at the bottom, then into a container then the cob bedding on top of the X (make it real sturdy). Could you use sandbox sand maybe? When its poopy just scoop it out (like a cat litter sort of). Is snadbox sand safe for birds? I mean Pix eats dirt (out of plant pots), can't keep him out of it ... gravel on top of the dirt only makes it look more interesting. Anyways, I have made play stands for my lovebirds (my budgie is just not interested) but I used wood dowels, screws and rope. When I make a pvc one, I will be using the nut/bolt or screws/rope methods though.

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
For me, if there is no other realistic option except glue, I use something like Elmer's children's glue, and I use as little as possible, and I try not to make it be accessable to the birds (SUPERVISION)

But that's just me. If you can use bolts, screws, or other options, go for that.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
PVC GLUE IS VERY TOXIC TO OUR FIDS!!!! DO NOT USE IT!!!

PVC pipe will fit snugly enough without glue for your playstand ... if you want, you can wrap the PVC pipe in vet wrap (adds color to the stand) and will make a more snug fit into the connectors. Just wrap the pvc pipe into with the vet wrap, tuck the excess vet wrap into the ends of the pvc pipe, and fit snugly into t-bends and 90 degree bends!!!

I hope that this isn't too late ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT USE GLUE!!

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I'd think all glues and like substances aught to be avoidedunless 100% safe.

batmanwv

Oct 29, 2014

PVC pipe will fit snugly enough without glue for your playstand ... if you want, you can wrap the PVC pipe in vet wrap (adds color to the stand) and will make a more snug fit into the connectors. Just wrap the pvc pipe into with the vet wrap, tuck the excess vet wrap into the ends of the pvc pipe, and fit snugly into t-bends and 90 degree bends!!!

Is vet wrap SAFE to use?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

Is vet wrap SAFE to use?

Yes, vet wrap is safe to use...and...the previous posters are wrong about PVC cement/glue...when it is dry and cured.....but it takes 3-7 days for the esters/smell to go away.....

You want to do all your gluing outdoors and don't smoke or use open flames around open glue containers the ketones in the solvent/glues is explosive, but you can eat off any dried glue.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The glue fumes are deadly! Don't use it anywhere near your birds, or they will drop dead on the spot. It's as bad as teflon... Let it dry completely overnight before any birds come near it.

Use the glue on the inside of the fittings, and use is sparingly, wiping off the excess. Then cover that with vet wrap.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I didn't use any glue on the play gym we made and it is very secure. I just fit them together tightly and there has never been any problem. I was going to add treat bowls but can't figure out how to do it without glue so I think I will just add on to those areas with more pvc and make the gym bigger.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Thanks for adding to this thread. I'm in the middle of a play gym for my Zon and I'm finding without the glue one of the uprights is falling down. I haven't started vet wrapping it yet so I'm hoping that does stop it from falling. I don't want to use glue on all of the parts because someday I may just decide to redesign the thing. I will have to glue the feeding and water cups though. I was trying to avoid that expense.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I didn't use any glue on the play gym we made and it is very secure. I just fit them together tightly and there has never been any problem. I was going to add treat bowls but can't figure out how to do it without glue so I think I will just add on to those areas with more pvc and make the gym bigger.

You drill a hole through the center of the four way connect, and then use one of those Licksit locking treat cups. Get a longer bolt and run the bolt through the center of your four way connect. Then just bolt it on...

And they generally can't dump those.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
For me, if there is no other realistic option except glue, I use something like Elmer's children's glue, and I use as little as possible, and I try not to make it be accessable to the birds (SUPERVISION)

But that's just me. If you can use bolts, screws, or other options, go for that.

Children's glue won't work on PVC. Might as well not use anything.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Is vet wrap SAFE to use?

Yes, vet wrap is safe to use...and...the previous posters are wrong about PVC cement/glue...when it is dry and cured.....but it takes 3-7 days for the esters/smell to go away.....

You want to do all your gluing outdoors and don't smoke or use open flames around open glue containers the ketones in the solvent/glues is explosive, but you can eat off any dried glue.....

Agreed.

You have to let the glue cure first. And I put the glue on the inside of the fittings, so that they are inside the part the bird can't get to. You want as little excess as possible. Let it cure. Then vet wrap on top of it...

There are commercially sold playgyms made from PVC where the parts have been glued together. Sweepeas had hers since the day she hatched... what 12+ years ago...

Most Reactions

Latest posts