View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Thanked 2,136 Times in 788 Posts
ParrotGenie is on a distinguished road
Re: Caique vs Mini-Macaws

It depends on age of the child? It also depends if they are willing to accept responsibility and if you will be willing to step in if the child loses interest? I had birds since young myself but use to raising and dealing with animals since young as was raised on a farm when young, so chores where a big part of my life since young. I had to hand feed my blue streaked Lory due to petstore was unethical and sold us a unweaned bird. Thankfully a veterinarian show me how to and materials needed and she live for 28 years. Since then been training parrots and Raptors and volunteering and working at rescues and sanctuaries plus was a breeder and work with breeders for years since.

Now a lot of information was provided in posts above as birds are highly intelligent and sensitive to chemicals and gasses. So please read posts above. Back then I had to read books on care and etc. Thankfully today you can pull information on internet.

If child is still a infant, or toddler, then answer is no. Birds are wild and not domesticated and can be unpredictable. You and the child have to understand this. Is not like taking care of a hamster, dog, or cat. There is no such thing as a parrot that won't bite, or attack. Buying a parrot just because it can talk is wrong reason to buy a parrot and not even guarantee that they will talk. Parrots need at least 3 hours plus out of cage time and etc. They are a lot of work and highly intelligent. So keep this in mine when looking to adopt one. Also the bigger birds can live 60 years plus, so is a lifetime commitment. I rather tell you the truth then sugar coat it, so you fully know what involved and not a impulse buy. I seen a lot of parrots get rehomed due to people buy them on impulse thinking they are cute and easy to care for and no knowledge on the down falls. One other thing is besides needing tons of attention and can bite hard. They also tend to be loud as they flock call, or want attention, it is in their nature. So something you have to get use to. They are also expensive to take cage of as vet bill yearly can be a $300 to $500 just for checkup and bloodwork yearly and toys over $600 yearly. A large stainless steel cage can cost $2500 and up as your looking at a larger bird. Yes a powder coat cage is around $800 for a good one, but large birds can strip the coating off and they don't last as long. A lot more to get into but this is just the basics.

If you still do decide to adopt a parrot, please buy from a reputable breeder local to you, or even better adopt one from a rescue. If you never dealt with parrot I advise you to go to a rescue and volunteer for a few weeks in your area. You learn a lot this way and what you getting yourself involve in. Most rescues won't adopt a bird out till you have at least a few week of volunteering with them and most do house visits to make sure you have setup appropriate for the bird. Usually they only charge you for the vet costs and materials they have into the bird. A lot of birds that need a good home so getting a rescue is ideal, plus a bird may pick you.

Last edited by ParrotGenie; 11-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ParrotGenie For This Useful Post:
noodles123 (11-08-2020), SailBoat Supporting Member (11-09-2020)