View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Thanked 13,908 Times in 5,576 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Red-belly scared to go into sleeping cage

Start back over and he will eventually get over it (if he has favorite treats etc, you can try feeding them to him whenever he gets within a foot of the cage..then increase the proximity required before treat is given..then try placing the treat on the cage and leaving it (I bet he will eventually go there again). This would need to take place over time, but I think he will be over his fears more quickly this time (in comparison to initial fears that he had when you got him). Don't push too hard or too fast. Focus on keeping stress low and training sessions short.

You might also consider periodically using towels within like 10 feet of him, so that he doesn't get so scared of them..Not this second, but a few days from now or something.

The boxes could also be scaring him. How did he react when you moved them?
Have you labelled these objects, also? It is really important to give objects names and narrate what you are doing. It helps with vocabulary development but it also helps them learn to anticipate if they associate actions with certain phrases---for example, Noodles knows "going to the store" "going to work" "taking out the trash", "broom" or "sweeping the floor", "be right back", "unloading the dishwasher" and "I'm going to move this", as well as "boom" (which I say whenever I drop something by mistake lol).
She doesn't repeat these phrases, but she responds to them as through she knows what they mean (having heard the same phrases in context). She is much less scared when I label things and talk about them over time.

Last edited by noodles123; 11-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.