Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
...I'm in the age range of 3 to 50...

WOW, so are the rest of the people on here

(well, at least most of them on here, and folks, please, I am not dissing the 50+ crowd ... with age comes much experience!)

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I'm judging from the fact that when you were asking about a cage you suggested a branch in your room, as opposed to your house and when you said age 3-50, thats a pretty sarcastic and immature comment, that you are young and probably live still with your parents.

I'm young myself being in my 20's so I know you don't need to be older to have parrots, but I am also living on my own, with a permenant job for income.

Remember that everyone in the household should agree on the bird and the home you give it should be its forever home.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Its also super expensive.
I have spent over $1000 in 3 weeks and I havent been to the vet yet.
Make sure you have a job that is secure, coz if you run out of cash, the bird will Drive you into the poorhouse.
Bird
Outside cage
Inside cage
Inside perch
cement perch for his claws
Hard wood perch every 10 days (he eats them)
1 cordless dustbuster to clean up the mess.
Scotchguarding all the fabrics in all the furniture and drapes so bird poo come off easliy.
Thats what I can think of in 20 seconds. Give me an hour and I could add 20 more things I need to get.
Your bird will need someone around for about 5 to 9 hours a day, so get used to having your friends come to your place instead of going out.
Remember that bird poo can breed worms in under 16 hours, so his cages and perches will need cleaning each day, but you will be home a lot now anyway, so you will have time to do it.

I will throw some more info at you as soon as I have installed the new bird proof door for the back of the house.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Hey Red I think you forgot something ...

what about the cost of all the alcohol (FOR THE OWNER ... NEVER FOR THE BIRD) when the bird starts to really get on your nerves! :D :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm in the age range of 3 to 50

Right, nobody here is trying to be rude or disrespectful we are just trying to find out some information so we can help. We have members here as young as 12 going up to about 60 years young. The idea of owning a Parrot is so very different from actually owning one, as our members can vouch for.

Yes they are wonderful, loving, funny, loyal, colourful etc, they are also a right royal pain sometimes.

Have you given any thought as to what you would do if your parrot suddenly bit you, for no apparent reason (there will be a reason but we'll go into that later) or what will happen when he/she reaches maturity you can then have some major battles with them, what if you turn out NOT to be your parrots favoured human? that can happen.

You are going to need to find out your parrots body language, they can't tell you they don't like this or that, and they can't tell you if you are doing something wrong. Yes you will learn this over time but its gonna take a little while for you to work out all of his body language. There is going to be a very good chance that you will get bitten and sometimes these can be real blood drawing bites deep and sore.

We are all here to help, but you do need to help us.

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
ya I know I need to help you guys but I just finished my first parrot book like last night and I need to find a monthly yearly overall [etc.] total.

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
I'm a pre-teen to teen that help. i AM PROBABLY THE YOUNGEST ONE ON FORUM

Last edited:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I'm gonna give you some advice based on what I know from myself personally, I know you probably won't listen or want to listen but I should tell you anyways.

Knowing personally when I was your age I wanted pets, especially a dog and I told my parents I would clean up after it, feed it, etc. I even convinced myself I would, however I never did. I only used the dog for the fun stuff but never wanted to tackle the hard things to do.

I have since moved out on my own and decided to get myself a parrot and like other pets they have good fun things about them, but they still poop need to be fed. I have also learned the differences with getting a parrot over other pets. Food for parrots can not just consist of seeds/pellets they need to be cooked for. Many parrots are prone to feather plucking even self mutilation, not a pretty sight trust me. All the rest of my pets besides the parrots are content without any attention as long as they have food and water. Noise... Parrots can start screaming for almost no apparent reason and it can be a difficult situation to deal with. You can not just run to them or yell at them to shut up, it won't help. That means everyone in the household must understand this. This is just to name a couple, there are many.

I think it is great you are interested in parrots, they can be fantastic pets. They can also be a royal pain in the butt. Speaking from personal experience I would wait until I got a parrot until I was on my own with a secure job. Maybe try starting with a budgie or lovebird that can talk and learn ticks quite well, if that is what your interested in. They also require extra attention same as parrots. Also knowing what it was like to be your age your gonna do what you want so do whats right for the parrot.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
...Maybe try starting with a budgie or lovebird that can talk and learn ticks quite well, if that is what your interested in. They also require extra attention same as parrots. Also knowing what it was like to be your age your gonna do what you want so do whats right for the parrot.

(slams down his gavel) *BAM* and so it shall be ... the forum suggests that Slayor, at the recommendation of Tracy842, start off with a budgie! :cool:

I hearby nominate TRACY842 as parrotforums.com's new MEDIATOR (and level-headed thinker) ... all in favor ... :57:

**** All joking aside, this is a great idea Tracy. Though not AS time consuming or AS loud as the larger parrots, they still need considerable amount of time and attention and Slayor will get a taste of the amout of responsibility larger bird would be. Another benefit of the budgie is that the upfront cost (bird, cage, toys ... etc.) will not be as much as a larger bird, MIND YOU VET COSTS will be ABOUT THE SAME whether a budgie or Hyacinth (did I spell that correctly ... ) and for that reason alone, someone should not, as "Momma Tex" always says to me, "live a champagne life on a beer budget."

~ Tex

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
Ya I know I'm going to get a parakeet or Lovebird to start then when I have a job to support a parrot I'll get a African Grey [parakeets can live 15 years] After I started seeing the reality of the cost I knew my $5 a week would not support it. [allowance] I will tell you my old age of ten. Yeah no offense Tracy I vote Peta as forum person thing what Texdot said oh ya I think the temp would be a problem its like 22 degrees here I live IN Washington so ya if that helps

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I would love to say that age doesn't matter, but I'm afraid that it does, A larger bird would not be a good idea at your age, and I know that isn't what you want to hear, I know that feeling well. I had wanted a Grey since I was about 3, needless to say I didn't get one.

There are so many smaller birds out there, Budgies, Bourkes, Lineolated Parakeets that are just as much fun as the larger birds but a whole lot easier to handle. I have two Bourkes and two Linnies, and they are so quiet, the Bourkes NEVER bite. The only toys they like are ladders, swings and cozy hut. If you check in the Budgie Parakeet section you will see some pics of them there.

In saying all of that, as long as you are prepared to put in a lot of time and effort into them they in return will give so much love. But Please think very carefully before getting any bird. If you decide to put it off for a year or two, you can still join in our talks and fun here but all the time you will be learning. The more research you do the better prepared your gonna be.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Don't forget Slayor that temperature is something you might have to face sometimes when owning a bird. If your bird has to go to the vet during winter for whatever reason, there gonna have to be outside at least for a small period of time (House to the car, car to the vet, etc.) Just prepare for it, get a nice pet carrier for your bird and don't forget to cover it up to keep the draft out as much as you can. I know how cold it can be, it was -25 degrees celcius when I took Popsicle to the vet in November... :eek:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
when i brought sidney home yester day it was about 30 degrees!! i had his traveling cage buckeled in the middle seat with towles on the bottom and a blanket wrapped around and my electric blanket on the top!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
*pointing and laughing at the girl from Texas*

30 degrees ... that's WARM!! It was 5 degrees here today ... heck, if I had 30, I might just break out the shorts/t-shirts and sandles! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts