View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanked 16,668 Times in 5,935 Posts
wrench13 will become famous soon enough
Re: Conure help!

Don't take this badly, please. The only reason to get 1 or more additional parrots, is because YOU want another parrot, not because you think your original one needs a 'friend'. We see this happening time and time again on the board here. The OB ( original bird) develops or has some interpersonal reactions that have not been worked out with the family, and the acquisition of another parrot is done to try to ameliorate the issue. This goes one of 3 ways.

1 New parrot and the OB hate each other, now cutting 1 on 1 time with people in half, with no better result in the original issue.

2 New parrot and the OB dont care for each other, but kind of change the dynamic with the family for the better. But still the 1 on 1 time is cut in half.

3 This is what you have - the new and OB love each other, to the exclusion of everyone else. I can only tell you what I have read on here and other places, since we are a 1 bird family. Me, personally, and this might sound harsh or cruel, I would bring the new bird back to the shop or breeder, before the new relationship becomes so ingrained in their minds that separation will be traumatic. Can it be resolved, like Laruasea says above? Yeah, maybe, if your willing to work, be diligent and patient. She is definitely a multi parrot house hold, with much experience in this, so her advice is certainly a path to pursue if you are determined. Lots of experienced members on here have several parrots and hopefully will chime in with more advice.

Good luck, and stick with us to let us know how things are progressing!

Follow Salty's 129 page lifestory thread:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/...now-salty.html

The Crew:
Salty - Yellow Shoulder Amazon (YSA) - hatched 8/15/15
Tinker - Cairn terrier, 4/15/08
Geri - Blonde haired Queens wife, birthday 4/25/19??
Remember - two wrongs don't make a Right, but three Lefts do!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrench13 For This Useful Post:
cake_olicious (01-09-2021), Laurasea (01-09-2021), plumsmum2005 (01-09-2021), Scott  (01-09-2021)