View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Thanked 27,739 Times in 7,004 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road
Re: Green Cheek Conure Clipped Wings questions!

Hi GiraffeMan, welcome to the Forums to you and your soon-to-be-baby, and congratulations!

Your birdie's flight feathers will grow back after he has had his first moult, which should be around the age of 8 months or so. Hopefully the breeder clipped both wings evenly and not too short, as birdie will most likely instinctively try to fly anyway and a bad clip can lead to injury if the bird hits the floor too hard, particularly if the floor is timber or tiled. You might think about having him checked out by a certified avian vet as soon as possible once you get him home, to check how the clip has been done and also for a general wellness check. The link below may help you to find an avian vet if you don't already know of one.....

https://www.aav.org/

Some avian vets also carry out the procedure of "imping", where donor flight feathers can be reattached to your bird's wings. I've had it done with one of mine and the power of flight is restored straight away! Your bird will ultimately regrow his own feathers though and will learn to fly, although some who were clipped before ever learning to fly can remain somewhat reluctant flyers for life - I've had one like that too.

Other than that, I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your new baby when he comes home!

How to Post Pictures

(This is a subtle hint )

Once again, welcome to the Forums, we look forward to sharing your journey with you!

"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)
The Following User Says Thank You to LaManuka For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (01-09-2021)