Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
(((NZ))) ... gosh, it's hard when they pull on your heartstrings! (I know, I have 9 living creatures in my home). Like Tracy has mentioned, I would take a very intensive look at 'Toos before considering what you are considering. You have a heart of gold :) ;) (but be wise and informed).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Also this jumped out at me when I first read it.

she has been out of the cage a couple of times not many.

This bird is 21 and she's only been out of the cage a couple of times???????????

I would have to ask this
How many homes has she had
Why are they selling her
How long have they had her (and I'm really hoping she has NOT been with them for long)

Considering she is a Too, the cage is very small for her to have been in for most of her life. I'm hoping that I'm being over cautious here.

The site that Tracy posted is very good and will give a lot of info.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I've looked again at the pictures, and noticed a pad lock on the door of the cage, as well as no toys in there, and only wooden perches the same size.

I think this bird is gonna be a rescue situation for whoever decides to get her. And judging by that she will need work I think they may have lied a little in the profile.

OP
nzchickadee

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
and if i really wanted a cocky chicks over here are the same price. I'm forever reading websites (mytoos being a favourite) and picking up the good and the bad. I just don't think I'm ready, but that bird deserves so much more

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
This is a screamer waiting to happen ... RUN AWAY - RUN FAR AWAY!!!

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Ok I'm really sorry for doing this but I just have to say it.

Maybe you should get her and give are the nice loving home she needs, at least she is not a plucker.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
NZ, if your heart tells you to go get her then do it. She clearly isnt in a good place, and if you cant handle her then at least you can get her away from them. If shes too much for you (and I know I'll get bad press about this) but then you could find her a GOOD home that CAN handle her. Who knows, she may be the sweetest lil girl there was. Go with your heart.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Ya know I've come in here this morning to have another look at this guy/gal and everypart of me wants to say "Go get her" just to give her that great life that she so rightly deserves, but.................
what if comes into this

What if...........
............you bring her home and for some reason or another it doesn't work out, that may mean another new home.

............she does turn into a screamer

............. she isn't used to humans (and it really doesn't sound like she is)

There are so many what if. Think very carefully before you decide anything. I really do wish you luck.

I would really love this fid to get a wonderful forever home.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Peta, what I was saying is even if this girly isnt able to stay with NZ then at least NZ will be a better person to be finding the ideal home for her. Just from reading that ad it is fairly obvious they don't take proper care of her, so they probably won't take proper care in re-homing her either. Yes there is the potential of yet another home, but that is better than her having numerous new homes. Besides, she may be a sweet wonderful bird. I have found that the rescues I have taken in (feathered, furry and reptilian) have all been very grateful and do their extra best to please until they feel secure, then they usually are still pleasers but not to the same degree as initially.

Are there any local rescue groups that could help you with her if you brought her home? I know one in particular near me has an avian vet that helps out (and is on their board); maybe you can talk to them and ask if they'd be able to help you out with anything, maybe in exchange for some volunteering by you (and possibly rope your husband, friends, family, strangers off the street - anyone - in too). It's worth asking anyways. They aught to understand that some rescued animals have a price tag, but they may help you, not with the price tag, but with the aftercare.

That's my "haven't slept and it is nearing 5:30am and the sun is coming up" thoughts.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
20 years in a cage ... not sure, where there toys in that cage? --- doesn't like human interaction ... only been out of that cage a 'few times' (probably very cage aggressive and they CAN'T GET NEAR THE CAGE)

"RUN FORREST, RUN!!"

This is a screamer .... it's not fair, it's sad, it's not right ... people like this upset me, we can't rescue them all ... And as Peta said, if it dosen't work out with you NZ then it would be another home for this poor birdie, and that's not fair because who knows how many there were before this one ...

Can we talk about something else here - if you are going to post an ad to try to rehome a pet, would you please use proper language and not "text speak" - :rolleyes: UUUUGH!! :mad:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Peta, what I was saying is even if this girly isnt able to stay with NZ then at least NZ will be a better person to be finding the ideal home for her. Just from reading that ad it is fairly obvious they don't take proper care of her, so they probably won't take proper care in re-homing her either. Yes there is the potential of yet another home, but that is better than her having numerous new homes. Besides, she may be a sweet wonderful bird. I have found that the rescues I have taken in (feathered, furry and reptilian) have all been very grateful and do their extra best to please until they feel secure, then they usually are still pleasers but not to the same degree as initially.

I agree with ya, and every part of me is saying get this gal, but we get so attached to our fids and furbys if it doesn't work out thats when the problems start with both us and them.

Tex, nope, no toys in there, I also personally wouldn't have a Too in that size cage,

we can't rescue them all
Why not :(
I agree tho' we just can't do it. And it really does need some very careful thinking about.

Good Luck t ya NZ and whatever you decide will be the right decision for you. Please let us know eh.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I know we can't save them all but I think this one is one that can be saved (spidey senses). What would the worst be if NZ took her in:

- Birdie would have a good experience with people
- Birdie would get a good sized dose of love and caring.
- Birdie would have the opportunity to be placed with a loving guardian
- Birdie would be at least a little more secure having gotten good food, an appropriate 'home' and toys, and possibly some vet care ...

I don't know, but it seems like something certainly worth doing. But it is your decision NZ. We will back you whatever your decision is.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
- Birdie would have a good experience with people
- Birdie would get a good sized dose of love and caring.
- Birdie would have the opportunity to be placed with a loving guardian
- Birdie would be at least a little more secure having gotten good food, an appropriate 'home' and toys, and possibly some vet care ...

All very true,

The only thing I could think of was (if this were me) I would have to go see the bird, (but then I'd probably get so mad with the present owners they'd chuck me out) to access what she was really like with humans. Maybe thats the only way you can truly see if this fid is really for you. Let us know what you decide.

OP
nzchickadee

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Yep, thats the other thing. For those of you who know what our South island looks like, Shes right down the bottom, I'm on the random bit out the right side, about halfway up.
- Equates to 5/6hrs travel.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Well, I hope thats for the best. So, NZ, had the ad not been pulled what were you leaning towards?

Edit: YES! I am nosy!! But don't say you all were not wondering too!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Me, never I'm not that nosey........................................

Okay so yeah I am, :eek: :D

Most Reactions