cookies for fiddies, furbies and us

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I make these pumpkin and zucchini cookies (I know, they sound gross but they are actually kinda good). I sweeten them with honey and add spices and yummy stuff. Here is an idea of what I put in them:

half a can of pumpkin
half a zucchini grated really finely
pancake / waffle mix to make it thickened
an egg
a blob of butter
some milk if needed to make cookieable
cinnamon, nutmeg and similar spices - a little sprinkle each
a tiny pinch of salt
some honey
you can also put nuts in them too I suppose
(I never measure, I just go by what looks right)

I mix it all up; its a fluffy orange-tinged cookie dough. I grease a pan, a thin thin coat of butter usually, and drop the batter in tiny bits (it puffs up a bit). I usually get about 24 on a normal - large pan. I bake only about 10 - 15 minutes at 300 - 325 degrees until they are golden on the bottom (they burn easily so watch them).

Adding a bit of fruit like pineapple or berries or something would make these sweeter. They aren't that sweet as is, but with the fruit / berries it is sweeter.

My birds, dog, and us people like them. My cats just don't "do" things like this. Adding some seeds or whatever and egg shell would be good for the fiddies too though, just make sure to label those ones :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh thats one for me to try, If its got egg in it even my cat will eat it. Yep she's a strange on that one.

I'll let ya know what they think of them.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh, but, must I SHARE with my fids and furbs?????? LOL

indigo, you cook like I do ... a pinch of this, a smidge of that ... LOL (It's not that I can't read a recipe, I just can't resist changing it "Deanna-style").

These sound scrumptious! Remind me of my late-grandma's persimmone cookies ... to die for!

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Things always seem to turn out better with a pinch of this and that added or omitted. I literally never use a recipe. Baking, cooking, whatever - no recipe. I sometimes write down what I do, and have passed it on to friends and it always works for them too hehe. Have you "juiced up" juice? I like making lemon aid (lemon juice, water and honey mixed with boiling water then cooled) with strawberry puree (nuked berries then pushed through a strainer) or any fruit like that that goes with lemon. SO yummy. When I add fruit puree I adjust the lemon slightly. I do a taste and test thing. Oh and there is the pumpkin pie I make - no pastry needed.

I make a thick cookie dough consistency dough with my trusty dusty buttermilk pancake / waffle mix, an egg, a glob of butter, some honey, mix and it will be dense. Press into the bottom of a spring form pan, and bake until just cooked (it will rise and be fluffed).

Then, while it's still hot (doesnt need to cool) I smoosh it all down with the back of a spoon so its like a flat cookie sort of (keep in the pan) and bake it again (re-smoosh after if you want to). Then on top I put my pumpkin mix.

I use 1 can (those big cans) of pumpkin, some melted butter (microwaved), a bit extra cinnamon and nutmeg, an egg or two, and sometimes a big blob of cream cheese; mix that up real well and dump in on the pancaked cookie thing.

Bake again and grab a fork; dig in. I've also used riccota cheese and I have also used big muffin tins instead of the spring form but its kinda hard to get it out of the tins. Real nummy and it usually does not last in my house hehe. Making two is futile as they both just get eaten anyways and that means you get fatter faster hehehe.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep me I never use a recipe, and if I can get away with it, I won't cook, I hate cooking. Its a good job Andi loves cooking, so he cooks and I do DIY.

He won't cook for the fids tho, so I do that. :D and hey thats fine.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Oh, I enjoy cooking allot (in fact was in talks with a top culinary school not that long ago to enroll) and LOVE making easy recipes that are really yummy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts