Update

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Deanna,

I was a 'livestock manager' for one a major pet store chain here.

When I started I could not bare the thought of touching the crickets. I literally had a major panic attack the first time someone wanted some. I had the customer get them that first time lol.

After that I kind of had to force myself to find a way to bag them without touching them. My solution: thick rubber gloves.

I also used those gloves to clean the rodent cages and anything else dry like that. The fish tanks were on three huge systems and there was a company that, for the most part, maintained them. Just making sure the water was fine was all we did and in my case I had a "fish guy", a "rodent chick" and I was the bird person. What you don't know you quickly pick up as well.

We did not have cats or dogs for sale (they were adopted in a different department). Good luck Deanna!

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Thanks indigo ... I appreciate it very much.

I'm so nervous about this interview and my current job, I'm feeling ... :vomit-smi

At my current job (I am a File Clerk, master of paper!! LOL), my boss and only coworker hate each other; the tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife. The file cabinets are all located in a hot (searingly hot) warehouse because they overgrew the office space. So, I stand on concrete, 100 degree heat, with dim light and file 4 hours a day. If I'm lucky, I do data entry for about 20 minutes, just to get out of the heat and into the cool office area. The strife between my boss and coworker is ... :headwall: (and, though, I try to not let it affect me or my mood, it still does).

Just talked with my hubby ... I think we are both in agreement that the job at the shelter is probably not the right one for me (but, I'm still holding out hope ... a little anyway). We agreed for me to go on the interview just to gather information and we'll discuss it afterwards.

Dan is afraid I will jump at anything (job) thrown my way just to get out of my current situation; I'm hoping I won't ... I'm trying to "chin up, buck up ..."

As for crickets ... well, umm ... eeeeeeeewwwwe. Gives me the willies!! LOL ... I do think, though, I will take a jaunt down to PetsMart and Petco and see iffen they have anything that does not involve bugs. Preferably part-time ... I've been enjoying my time with my critters; I don't really (after working 24/7/365 for over 3 years) want to lose my time with my babies again.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Ya I completely understand that. I don't like being away from them much at all really either.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
i hate to say this (jitters getting the better of me), i am having second thoughts about this shelter kennel technician position. ack, maybe just pre-interview jitters ... or maybe more along the lines of my questioning my ability to participate in euthanasia. i have to look at the interview as a fact finding mission ... gathering facts so i can bring them home and contemplate them -- see if i really am a good fit for the position.

If you get this job, you can only do your best, and if you realise that its really not the job for you, you can always look round for sommat else. It propably is just pre interview nerves, Good Luck to ya, We'll be thinking of ya.

(MSN not working but I'll be on as soon as its up and running) :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I don't really (after working 24/7/365 for over 3 years) want to lose my time with my babies again.

Think that is the best time for us all to relax, when we are with our babies, Its the best part of any day.

You will find something that suits you and still gives you time with your babies, and if its not this job then another one is waiting for you, somewhere, Good Luck to ya.

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Thanks you guys ... didn't get much sleep last night, I honestly do not know what has me so, so, so worked up in a tizzy about this interview! Goodness, I think I might need a valium! LOL!!

Anyway, since late last evening, I have mellowed considerably ... what is is, what will be will be. Just going to simplify things and go with whatever happens.

I have about 45 minutes until I have to get ready for my interview; so, pumping coffee into me to keep me alert. Dreading going into my job this afternoon, it is like walking into a coal oven. *ugh*

... java!! :47:

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Just back from my interview (thank you for the Good Luck wishes!!!). I think I did very well, actually, and the dialogue during the interview was relaxed and I gathered quite a bit of information. I do think this is a job that I would be good at (inspite of euthanization procedures; it goes with the territory). But, I must discuss this with Dan when he calls home tonight.

They said they wanted to make a decision by the end of the week (which is tomorrow); then they would give a verbal job offer to the applicant of their choice, then they would check references and then make a formal, written job offer.

I know the director of the agency. She is a fabulous woman and I would love working for her. We have a lot in common in our belief systems and I have always enjoyed my visits with her. The intervew, LOL, was actually more like a relaxed visit about things of importance rather than a stiff interview.

So, I am crossing my fingers ... and again, I need to make sure that Dan will be in support of my desires.

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
OMG :eek: I barely walked in the door from the interview and the man just called me to tell me that I was their final candidate and they want to begin the next phase of hire (references)!! I'm shocked. :eek:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
YEAH!!!! ((((((((Deanna))))))))) YEAH! :60: :35: :22: :53: :51: :smile046: :smile027:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Woooooooooohooooo!
You managed to stay alive!:D

But why are you so stressed about it?It is either so important for you to get this job in specific or are you like this before all interviews?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!I have a good feeling about it ..... ;)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
WHOOOOOOOOOOO
yougogirl.gif
twirl.gif
yahoo.gif
rotfl.gif

WELL DONE
DEANNA

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Woooooooooohooooo!
You managed to stay alive!:D

But why are you so stressed about it?It is either so important for you to get this job in specific or are you like this before all interviews?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!I have a good feeling about it ..... ;)

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! :07:

Pheob -- I am unpredictable before any given interview, I am of a nervous ilk, I guess one might say.

As for this particular position, I had some concerns about being involved in euthanizing animals. That being a small portion of my job. Also, there are not a plethora of jobs that I am qualified for, so when something does come up, I want to do the best I possibly can -- especially if it is a position involving animals/animal welfare.

Thanks for everything guys ... I have a positive feeling about this and I think when I discuss it further with Dan, we will both agree that it is a position that I may excel at and can have an opportunity to make a difference in the life of a person/family and/or animal.

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
I truly am quite moved. The three references I listed on my application (that they are currently contacting) are three of my clients from my business that I recently closed. I owned a professional dog walking and pet sitting business and had the greatest clients in the world!

Anyway, my clients have been contacting me telling me with great excitement that they have been contacted by the county animal services agency for a reference and they go on and on about how happy they were to speak on my behalf. When asked if I were to start my business again, would they hire me they all said ABSOLUTELY IN A HEART BEAT! And, they each individually told me that they told the man that he could not find a better person for the position.

There are days that I long for the fulfillment of my business, for the wonderful clients and fantabulous pets that were in their care ... but, I just couldn't continue the 24/7/365. Reality set in and it was time to close, not without regret.

Gosh, my clients are great ... oh how I miss them so.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure your gonna get this position, and yeah they couldn't do any better, There are downsides to every job, that we really don't want to do, or would rather not do, Its how we handle those parts of the job that make us the best person for the job.

Hope that makes sense, I'm so tired at the moment I'm falling asleep. Think I must have been having a party last night. :confused:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Pheob -- I am unpredictable before any given interview, I am of a nervous ilk, I guess one might say.

As for this particular position, I had some concerns about being involved in euthanizing animals. That being a small portion of my job.

I get what you mean Deanna!

there are not a plethora of jobs that I am qualified for, so when something does come up, I want to do the best I possibly can

Well I am telling you on this that caring for others and especially animals who have problems or special needs is one of the biggest skills one can have and cannot be taught to some one who hasn't got it by nature.

Anyway, my clients have been contacting me telling me with great excitement that they have been contacted by the county animal services agency for a reference and they go on and on about how happy they were to speak on my behalf. When asked if I were to start my business again, would they hire me they all said ABSOLUTELY IN A HEART BEAT! And, they each individually told me that they told the man that he could not find a better person for the position.

see what I mean? :)

Lift your chin up girl and go for it! ;)

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
I am so terribly sorry that I put you all through such tumult and turmoil over all of this ... but, I am now reporting that I have just withdrawn my application and interest in the Kennel Technician postion. :(

I was having my own doubts (but, I was overcoming them), but my husband, Dan, just simply could not support me in that position. It was "unfathomable" to him ... and, probably rightly so. He would be the person who would take the fallout from my work after I came home from euthanizing 10 adoptable dogs ... don't think I would want to be him either.

I will wait until a more appropriate job comes along ... but, I guess (with a little hesitation), I must agree with Dan that this job is not the right job for me.

*Ugh* I hate "job hunting" ... it is very taxing and wearing.

Thanks guys ... sorry I let you down :(

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
No Deanna - you did what was best for your family you in no way let us down. We will support you no matter what job you end up getting. That's what friends are for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts