TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
OK, so this really sucks right now ... I HAVE NO ELECTRICTY AND NO HEAT IN MY APARTMENT!! I think Hamlet is ok right now (it's 69 degreees F ... sorry no time for conversion to degrees C) I have to figure something out quickly ... I have to get something figured out before it gets to like 66 or so ... I think I am going to have to take him on a road trip to my sister's place .. she has heat!

.... DEEP BREATH ... must stay calm ... must stay calm ... must stay calm ... DEEP BREATH

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
JUST AFTER I POSTED THIS (litterally, I hit post new thread) MY ELECTRIC CAME BACK ON!!! *PHEW!!!!*

Ok, I am going to calm down now ... I am not going to lie ... that was pretty scary!!

(p.s. for those of you wondering, I have a battery powered laptop ... )

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I so glad that your heat came on really quickly, to be prepared for next time, you could keep some thick towels in the airing cupboard (not sure what you call them over there, or even if you have them?) then when the heat goes out and it starts getting too cold (anything under 60 F) you can then put the towels over him and he should be fine.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
you could keep some thick towels in the airing cupboard (not sure what you call them over there, or even if you have them?)

Wow! I have never heard of one of those, and after doing some research they sound like a great idea ... but, too bad, I don't have access to the hot water heater in my apartment complex ... but let me tell you something, when I BUY A HOUSE --- OH YEAH!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yeah, if you don't have anything else in you house, make sure you have one of them, Mine has been used for many things, not very often for laundry, So far its been a brooder, its been a source of warmth when a few of my birds have been ill, (I wouldn't recommend this unless you have been advised to do it by an AVIAN VET) I had two very sick birds (rescued, with Errol and Flynnie) who were so bad they didn't make it. :17:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
hot water bottle?? not sure how safe that would be but that was the only thing i could come up with and let him snuggle so your body heat will keep him warm glad it came back on quick though

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Ok, I had the same problem yesterday... only we had power... QUESTION!!

Can you use a heater that you can plug into the wall around a bird (thinking about the air quality)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hot Water Bottle ????

Yep I've used these wrapped up in a towel on the little ones if they are too ill not to bite. If its just because the heat is out and I want to keep them warm, the only ones I would use this on is the Bourkes as I know they wouldn't bite it. All the others would have a go at it. But yeah as long as they wouldn't bite it that would be fine.

Heater ?????

If you mean one of those space heaters, I don't think I would use that, but any other heater, should be fine for the small (hopoefully) amount of time that the power would be off.

Don't forget tho' that our birds can withstand quite a lot and I wouldn't rush into putting any heat in for them.

My airing cupboard was just something I used as a source of heat for some very sick birds and the door was open.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
...Don't forget tho' that our birds can withstand quite a lot and I wouldn't rush into putting any heat in for them...

Actually in the heat of the 'crisis' yesterday I did manage a call to the vet, and I was told that if the temp in my apartment got much below 66F (19C) then I would need to consider getting him outta here and into a warmer area ...

I like Crazy's idea best, and if wrapped in enough towles I don't think that Ham could get through it ... he's only a little bugga and can barely manage to bite through an almond shell ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Actually in the heat of the 'crisis' yesterday I did manage a call to the vet, and I was told that if the temp in my apartment got much below 66F (19C) then I would need to consider getting him outta here and into a warmer area ...

Really, that is very surprising.

:eek: In that case I'd better turn my heat up, or just move the birds out, hmmmmmmmmm. Well they seem to have done okay on it so far. :eek: I never have my heat any higher than 18 Opps. When it gets really cold I may turn it up to 19. What a horrible nasty person I am. :D

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
...What a horrible nasty person I am... :D

YEAH! :rolleyes: AND AS WE CAN ALL SEE YOUR FIDS ARE JUST IN ABOUT AS ROUGH A SHAPE AS THEY COME!!! :rolleyes:

Well, it was so cold here last night that even with my heat on my apartment could only manage to get to 65F overnight ... and Hamlet is the normal "poopin', chewin', squakin' machine" he usually is he seems fine ... so I guess I went into crisis mode too soon ... :eek:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
ha ha ha funny how sometimes they drive us nuts with the poopin', chewin', & squakin' then if they stop it, we start to miss all the poop, noise, and destoryed things...

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... or we run straight to the vet ... :D

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Yes thankfully the vet is just a 2 minute drive from my apartment!!! Great for those Birdie Emergencies!!! My friend who lives in the same building, has a CAG. Well she figured out how to open the cage and escape while she left home alone and found a bottle of Mr. Clean and drank it. Luckily she is fine!!! Anything ever happened to my babies they would be at the vet so quickly, take better care of them then I do of myself... :eek:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
or we run straight to the vet

:D Yeah but I don't think we can ever be too careful.

I did ask Bucc last night if I was a bad Mum, his answer "Oh Yeah"

I asked him if he was cold, his answer "Oh Yeah"

So there you have it folks, I'm really not a good Mum. :17:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Yeah they usually think your a bad mom until they want something from you :rolleyes: Then your the best mom ever!!!:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Your right there, when I came down this morning I was sitting having my coffee, and all I could hear was "Bucc come out, Love ya Mum." followed by some lovely kissey sounds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts