TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ok, so over the last 2-3 days Mac's sqwaks have turned into almost distinguishible words -- I thought I was hearing things (or rather wanting to hear things that weren't really there) but Christy is hearing at least something that is really close to "step-up" in Mac's sqwaks. I have thought that I have heard, "Mac Mac pretty bird" and "Hamlet" out of Mac's sqwaks ... we will keep you guys up to date on this one, but this is exciting as he is still very young ... :D

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
I know the feeling of hearing a bird's first words. Lulu (my Jenday) is starting to say "kiss". Keep us posted!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh isn't it wonderful, WAY TO GO MAC

From here on in, the words will start to get clearer, you wait till you hear him say "love ya" it just melts your heart I can tell ya. :D It really does. And yeah when they start to talk it is so exciting, whether you have one bird or 100, its just as exciting. Keep up the great work, and keep us infomed, we are excited right along with ya. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
How nice!:)
It must be great to hear a birds first words..I don't know myself but I think I can imagine..:D:D
Phoebus is trying something,his name and something else long and I have no idea what that might be!I don't know I could be my imagination..
Good job Mac!Way to go!:emoticonc

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Congratulations Tex and Christy!! Isn't it just so much fun being witness to our birdies' progress??

WAY TO GO MACCCCCCC!!!! :jumping40

Conure Mom

Jul 11, 2007
Wow, that is so exciting! Nikki & Charlie talk.... but not so that anyone else would know it, lol. Whenever I'm about ready to leave for work in the morning Nikki starts saying "bye bye, bye bye".... I know that's what she's saying, because I taught it to her.... but if I didn't tell you that's what she's saying, you wouldn't recognize it. Same with "step up", "I love you" and "night night". I had high hopes that Charlie might talk a little more, as I had been told green cheeks do talk a little more than sun conures... but if she's talking, I don't recognize it.... except in the mornings when I'm changing the paper in their cages and I keep saying "Clean paper, clean paper" and I think she is saying "paper, paper". But again.... who knows!

I would love to have birds that talk, but hey, I love my babies so much, it doesn't matter. Still.... I'm really excited for you guys and can't wait to hear more! No pun intended. :p

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
YAY!! yes it is indeed fun listening to all the new words or even just one word.. melts your little heart.

Unless you have a bird like mine who has start mimicing the annoying bird that swaks this horrible song every morning. :rolleyes:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Chi - I LOVE you're Siggie Too cute
Congrats Tex and Christy and MAc.

I keep hoping Sidney will pic up something he "talks in little whines and groans so you can carry on a conversation with him but not in words) He is very good at mimicing sounds like a clicking sound I make and I'm trying to teach him to make a kissing sound which he's getting better at. Did Mac start this all on his own or was there anything ya'll did to encourage him.

on a side note my bird talk came in today with quakers as the featured parrot I want one so bad :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Kelli, try cutting down on the sounds you make, and concentrate on talking, Birds will pick up sounds far easier than talking, but they can do it. When he does start saying something make a really big fuss of him,

Any new words today. Ooooooo so impatient I am, but it really is so exciting.:D Give Mac a great big Parrot Forum scritch, (also give Hamlet one too, just because he's Hamlet and beautiful :D)

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
No new words, and nothing any clearer ... who knows what is going to happen ... don't want to push him too much .. there seems to be certain times of the day when he is more "talkitive" than other times ... I know this is normal, so we are just going to work with him during these specific times of the day ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
You'll notice now that as each day goes on, then he'll get clearer and be picking up a lot of new words really quickly. I bet you both still have a smile on your faces a mile wide. :D

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
We just got a pretty clear, and understandable, "STEP-UP" from Mac ... pretty cool! :D

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Arent Green cheeks just the cutest, Sqeaky also started talking very early, i think he was like 5 months or something when he started. But he only says his name and stretches it as far as he can "Sqeeeaaakyy!":D, makes kissing sounds, and a weird kinda purring sound if he sees wild birds outside. I love the GCC they are very intelligent!

Congrats on Mac, atleast it seems he's gonna say more than just his name!:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Now Wilma, you kept that quiet, we wanna know everything, :D

Is Mac saying anymore yet, yep I'm one of them people that as soon as they start talking I want them to say more and more and more. :D

Anyway they have both done really well

Way to go Mac and Squeaky. :D :D :D :D

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
No, nothing new yet ... but now there are lots of "step-ups" and he is even starting to use it in context ... yesterday morning he told Hamlet to "step-up" onto Christy's finger ....

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D :D :D Thats brilliant. You may find now that as Mac is talking, Hamlet may start. :D

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Nope, no words out of Hamlet yet - but he does imatate the microwave - :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts