Update

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
*sobs* oh yah I'm hurt hehehe kidding ... I'd never be able to work at a shelter unless it was a no kill one. I am glad to hear you made the right decision for yourself. Also, I know what its like to be looking for work. I've been doing the exact same thing here. I hope you find something soon, something perfectly (or at least better) suited for you and your family :)

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
No Deanna - you did what was best for your family you in no way let us down. We will support you no matter what job you end up getting. That's what friends are for.

I will definetely agree with Kelli!

You had your doubts from the begining!
I'm glad you thought it over again and you chose what you think is right for you!

And of course you didn't let us down... :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
He would be the person who would take the fallout from my work after I came home from euthanizing 10 adoptable dogs ... don't think I would want to be him either.

Hey you've not let any of us down at all, as you say, Dan would be the one to take the fallout on this one, so it had to be a decision that ultimately both you and he have made, You have done what is right for you and your family, and thats the main thing. We are here to support you in whatever decision you make,

*Ugh* I hate "job hunting"

When your feeling down think of me doing my belly dance, thats sure to brighten up your day (or make it a hell of a lot worse :D, its not a pretty sight) :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
**Visions of Peta belly dancing swirling in my head!** ;) LOL

Thanks again guys. I just received an e-mail back from the director of the shelter and she said that she completely understood how I felt. She's asked if I would want to volunteer to do adoption follow-ups (they are trying to catch behavior problems/adjustment problems earlier and rectify situations). As she said, it would let me continue to do something that I am passionate about (animals/animal welfare). So, I'll give this some thought as well. :)

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Just spoke with Dan (he's out of town, yet again!), and told him of the news with the shelter. He was quite enthusiastic about me offering volunteer time to serve as adoption follow-up liason ... I've given it quite a bit of thought this morning and I do think that might be right up my ally! It would employ both my interests and skills for a better purpose. Need to find out about time committment and how that will mesh with my job (or upcoming job). But, yes, I think that sounds like something I could excel at and enjoy myself at the same time! :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Oh boy ... boys and girls ... I may be in hot water and most probably just burned a bridge (which I don't too much care about).

As far as the Kennel Technician position went, the director of the shelter was involved and one man from Human Resources was involved. I completed their ELEVEN page, all-inclusive application form which required listing 3 references that could immediately vouch for my work style, work procedures and work ethic. I did as required and provided them with the names of three clients that were intimately familiar with my work and history (I'd worked with 2 of them for 2 years and one of them for over three years).

The man from Human Resources contacted each of my references and LIED to each of them telling them he was having a hard time contacting the third reference (which was not the case; all three references reported to me that he got through to them on the very first phone contact). He then requested that they provide him with an ADDITIONAL reference ... two of them told him (to nearly jump in the lake) that he would need to consult DIRECTLY WITH ME for that information. The third one gave the name of a client that we both know (they live on the same street and know each other). All three thought that his question was odd and out of bounds. ...Needless to say, so did I. I never provide a reference that I have not received explicit approval to do so ... and if he is getting references from a third party, I am not able to gain approval for those references.

Anyway ... I wrote, earlier, to the director of my displeasure with this practice. The Human Resources man called and left me a LAME message telling me that they do that "only to speed up the process" in case they cannot get through to the other THREE references I have provided. I mean, really, do they have to go at such a WARP SPEED AHEAD that they cannot allow a reference a half of a day to return a phone call inquiry???

Anyway, I just wrote to the man in Human Resources telling him that his reasoning was bogus and questionable. That if they in fact want SIX references, then ASK for six references on the OFFICIAL application form.

I gave him a piece of my mind and told him that he had upset my clients by doing what he had done (and they were upset; they each thought he was completely and totally out of line).

Anyway ... I just burned the bridge for any county work ... but, I was so incensed, that I could not hold myself back to respond to his asinine response to me.

Very angry ... don't like it when people play games ... :mad:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Sorry it didnt work out (meaning they went the dink route), but very very happy that you stood up for yourself like that (and for your clients for that matter). You proved, by your actions, that you are the IDEAL person to work there, and in their absurdity they lost you, not the other way around. I mean really, had you not said something imagine how working there would be like!?! They were very very disrespectful.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I agree with you 500%, if these people want moe than 3 references then ask for more, they should not be able to lie to people like they did. You have done everything they asked of you, it is they who broke the rules. That is totally unacceptable. If they change the rules at this stage, just think what it would have been like to work with them, how often would they change the rules to suit themselfs then. Good for you. You did exactly the right thing.

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Thanks for backing me up guys! This man really got my hackles up (not good to tick me off!) ... in such an instance as this that I could (and probably did!) blow my chances for *any* county job, I had to stand my ground and stand on principle. What this man is doing may not be illegal within hiring procedures, but it certainly is quite questionable and definitely unethical (IMHO). grrrrrrrr ... :mad:

My mother was in Personnel within governmental agencies for over thirty years; she said she never, ever heard of this type of procedure before ... she said he was "fishing".

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Sorry for that Deanna!But don't worry !:)

It's better that things turned out this way before you got the job than they made your life difficult after that!

A friend once said something that suits them perfectly: Idiots are invincible!

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
blow my chances for *any* county job

If thats the case then is THEIR LOSS, and all because they have an idiot working for them. :D

Thanks for backing me up guys!

Thats what families are for, we back you in any decision you make, ALWAYS.

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
OK you s-guys ... (gals rule, of course! LOL) ...

I've not heard back from Landon ... the man from Human Resources. I am debating whether or not I should send him an e-mail asking for his superior's name and contact information so I can discuss my concerns with their hiring process with him/her.

Dan is not in town to discuss this and I've not yet talked with him this evening. His response will probably be: :eek: :eek: :eek: (oh golly jeepers, no, don't do it!!!) LOL ... he is a live and let live, don't ruffle the feathers kind of person.

Do you think I should persue this with Landon's supervisor? I've already crapped my ability to get a job with the county by doing what I've already done ... so no more harm will come of it. Except, Dan will be beside himself with angst (but, with me being an uppity woman, that is normal LOL).

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
go for it maybe your chances with the county would'nt be over after all - if the supervisor is unaware this is going on. If he is aware and allowing it then it's his loss not yours. I get so frustrated at my mom for being too nice to people LOL go rip him up one side and down the other- I'm sure Tex can spare Ham to fly down and help you out :)LOL

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah I would have to go with it, for sure. You may even be able to stop this kinda behaviour in the future. :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Talked with Dan last evening and he said he would support my follow up on this matter! (I was quite surprised). So, I wrote an e-mail to the man asking for his supervisor's name(s) and contact information. Will let you know what transpires ...

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Go for it!As you said you've nothing to lose!:D

I'm sure Tex can spare Ham to fly down and help you out LOL

Hmmmm....I was thinking Iggy would be better for the case...:16:

:D :D :D :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
I took on the system ... and much to my dismay was basically ignored and put down.

Called this jack@$$'s supervisor (he's already spoken to her and forwarded to her my e-mails), she defended him and his actions and said he followed policy and procedure. I stood my ground and said that as a member of the public (this is a governmental agency!), that I have a right to express my displeasure and concern ... AND BE HEARD AND TAKEN SERIOUSLY. She said that my "perception of the incident was wrong" ... :mad: ... I reiterated exactly and expressly what occurred, and she back-peddled a bit and said that she would make sure that the man is not misrespresenting their procedure to others ... well, duh, he did with me!!!

She was of no help, nor did I gain any satisfaction. She went on to tell me what a wonderful agency they are because of this that and the other -- I told her that the PURPOSE of my contact is not "this that or the other" it is VERY SPECIFICALLY WITH THEIR PROCEDURE AND POLICY REGARDING REFERENCES! Okay, they can have brownie points for "this that and the other", but it does NOT negate MY CONCERNS!

Hrmph. Oh well, at least I called and registered my concern. Not much else to do, just let it go. Grump, grump. :mad:

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
What a total ASS she is.

I agree and second that! Pffftttttt... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wasn't shaking (like usual) during the phone conversation, but after I hung up, I began trembling out of shear anger and disgust! I have a right to register my displeasure and be heard and acknowledged. I've worked for governmental agencies for nearly 2 decades and would never, ever treat someone with that type of attitude! Grrrrr ...

Most Reactions

Latest posts