feeding

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I've been concerned my baby tango isnt being fed enough. hes growing n pooping n all but when im holding the babies and pix comes over to feed them he never gives food to tango. im just concerned hes not getting enough food.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I am going to have to hand feed I think (I'd prefer not to have to though). I'd rather momma and poppa do it but I really don't think he's getting enough food. Also, of course, it being 5:30 PM on a Sunday does not help - everything is closed :( ... think I could use a powdered pellet type thing for tonight? I can get some weening formula (which is what I was advised would be best - but if anyone else has suggestions about that too please share) tomorrow though. I'll see if the spoon and pellet-formula thing works for tonight. At least the baby will have something to eat. Also, do you think I should feed both, or just the little one who I am concerned about? Help!!!

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Ummm... I think it would be great to feed them both for the reasoning that it would be good bonding for you and the babies and keep them tame. You could run to the store and get some baby food for tonight, but if he looks ok just trust your own judgement.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Okay, so I had the babies in their cage (the one they will be in once weened) and put a little piece of box so they could have a little house to feel safe in (and warmer to). So the babies are in there and Serenity and Pix are going crazy in their cage pacing and screaming and very obviously upset. Nothing I could do would settle them and it was just not going well at all.

So, I thought maybe I would try feeding the babies (didn't have any formula, but I had ground up some pellets in my coffee grinder and made a formula from that (better than nothing is what I figure). So both babies, to varying degrees, enjoyed the food, and both were covered in that food by the end of it. So, I introduced the babies to water (ran the bathroom tap on warm and showed them how to have a bath) - Jade flapped and had a bit of fun with it but Tango wasn't so sure. I had someone help (they are both climbing now and won't stay in any container with less than about 4 inches high sides and then thats even in question if they stand on each other - which they have done).

Anyways Serenity and Pix just could not calm down so after the babies bath time I fixed the nest box back up so it was clean and ready for babies and put them back in.

With my nest box there is one end that has a two layered access door thing. The first layer of door (closer to the inside of the box) is clear and the outer one is black (makes it quite dark in there and i usually only have it in place at night so they can sleep better).

I got the babies in there (they snuggled up right away) and opened the door to let Serenity and Pix in the nest box. They both rushed in and checked their babies out. Serenity didn't stay in long but Pix did so I thought I'd take a look to see what was going on.

Lo and behold there was Pix feeding Tango! Yeah! Tango looked so happy. I think maybe Pix was forgetting to feed Tango or something. Anyways, whatever it is he was feeding them both. I will keep an eye on them though and if I need to, then I will feed them by hand but I really hope Serenity and Pix will.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I used Exact formula for feeding kito, its really good and is great for feeding well into weaning.

Glad they are feeding them now, just keep a close eye on who and how often they are feeding him. Hope it all works out well.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
They seem to have remembered that they both need to be fed. I will be keeping my eye on them though.

Most Reactions