Persian Food!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
(Don't worry, *I* still will do the dishes ... but ONLY if Peta belly dances!)

What a sight that will be, but hey I'm game for a laugh :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Yes, Phoeb, the jet is on its way! It is comfortable with movies, caviar and champagne. But, don't eat too much as you might spoil your appetite!

It'll be by your place any moment, drop down in to scoop up Peta and ... anyone else wanting to catch a ride, then off to Canada ... wisk around the U.S. a bit, then land safely in Colorado ... red carpet treatment! (This is a BIG chindig!).

We will have THE STAR BELLY DANCER Peta for dinner entertainment ... I'm sure she will be in a lace veil and have a belly button ring in ... authentic-style. Then, since Tex has volunteered his buddies, I thought as an after dinner laugh -- ack! I meant TREAT -- we can watch Tex and crew do "Y M C A"! (I most definitely have GOT to see this!). But, umm, beccause of Tex's little chest hair problem, I'm arranging for him to have a full upper body wax before he performs -- it's just safer for us all that way!).

(Tex, I've heard it "only stings" ... I wouldn't worry too awful much! :p )

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh, yes, and I wanted to remind everyone (as this thread took a downward spiral! LOL LOL), that we are in fact serving scrumpdillyicious Persian food, hot and fresh! It will be in an elegant dining atmosphere with Peta fluttering about.

Now, you are all encouraged to shower Peta with diamonds and pearls; but, I think it is for the better good to keep our dollar bills out of sight when Tex and his gang show up ... as we do not want to encourage, umm, unsightlly :eek: :p :eek: :p :eek: behavior during his talent show!

(indi, I'll get my recipes together a post a few for ya!) ;)

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Indi ... here is Serkeh khiar (I've also called it Masto khiar) (Yogurt with cucs and onions) (omit cucs or onions if you'd like -- I love them both, but Dan can't take the cucs).

One large tub yogurt (making your own out of whole milk is the best, but I don't want to get into how to do that here, it is a little detailed) ... so, store bought, whole-fat (not non-fat or low-fat) yogurt is good. My favorite brand is Mile High (a blue and white container).

Grate a medium sized *sweet* onion into yogurt
Peel and grate a large cuc into yogurt

Be liberal with the dill!
Use about, at least, 1/4 cup dried dill weed, put in palms and rub palms together to crush and release flavor.
Use about 1 - 2 teaspoons of dried mint, again rubbed in palms.
Salt and pepper to taste.
(Depending on your taste, you will add dried rose buds) -- some people like it, some--like my father--do not. But, I do and I use a liberal amount of rose buds. Again, crush/rub in palms of hands.

Stir all together and refridgerate until chilled through. (One variation, which I love, but Dan does not, is to add raisins before chilling ... just depends upon your own preference).

Serve with any rice dish ... with flat bread (Lavash) ... or just get a spoon and dig in (like I do! LOL). It is an excellent thing to have on a hot summer afternoon.

Enjoy!

Oh, I forgot, the traditional way of serving is to put 2 or 3 ice cubes in the serving bowl, it keeps it nice and cold!

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
My version of Khoresh-e lubia sabz (green bean sauce):

1 pound cubed (1/2"-1" cubes) meat (any cut is fine and you can substitue one pound burger, if necessary) (can be beef, elk, deer, antelope, lamb, or?)
4 cans cut green beans (one can water)
1 small can tomato sauce
1 good sized, sweet, chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
Salt
Pepper
Coriander
Cumin
Cinnamon
Gol par (liberal) (I'm sorry, I do not know the American term for this spice :( )
Tumeric
2 Tablespoons lime juice (lemon juice can be substituted, but lime is much better)

Brown and cook through meat, add onions and garlic and simmer down, add all the rest of the goodies and let simmer/roil for about an hour (or as long as it takes to cook the "polo"--rice).

Serve over steamed rice with yogurt, Lavash or any other good bakery bread, cheese and relish. Yum, yum! :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Okay, here is the main staple ... Rice "Polo" (steamed Basmati rice):

Don't get freightened, it is not really complicated, just detailed. If you are in a rush, just use your rice steamer to make the rice. But, if you have a relaxed afternoon and enjoy cooking, try your hand at this:

In a large bowl, measure about 4 cups Basmati rice. Put bowl in sink and run a steady stream of cold water through the rice using your hands and fingers to jimmy the rice about ... you are cleaning it and getting excess starch off the rice kernels. Do this for some time (about 10 minutes or so). When the water runs clear, fill the bowl with cool water and mix a moderate amount of salt in with your hand. Let this sit for about 1/2 hour.

As time nears, get a good sized pot going with cold water. Do not add salt to the water (salt is in the rice water already). When it comes to a boil, drain as best as you can by simply tipping the bowl slightly, the rice, then add the rice and salt water into the boiling pot.

It is critical to stir occassionally and to test the kernels frequently (the kernel of rice, when at the "done" stage, will be about 3/4th of the way cooked through ... you don't want it any more cooked then that). When done, pour entire rice pot into a collander and immediately rinse thoroughly with COLD water (you want to stop the cooking process). Rinse, very well, the pot of all starch residue, and return pot to a medium heat burner.

Pour olive oil in the pot (to cover the bottom) and let oil heat as you prepare the saffron. Take about 1/2-1 teaspoon saffron and crush into small cup, add about 3 tablespoons lukewarm water and mix. When oil is heated pour saffron water into pot (WATCH for splatters! Ouchie!).

Next, you want to loosely "mound" the par-cooked rice into the pot. You want it to be shaped like a mountain with a peak on top. (A dome sort of). After mounding the rice in the pot take the tip of your wooden spoon and use it to poke holes in the rice mound ... make one hole right in the middle (like the middle of a volcano), then make holes around the sides as well. Drizzle olive oil into each of the holes that you have made.

Wrap your pot lid in "Turban-fashion" with a dishtowel (this facilitates steaming) and place snuggly on the pot.

Now, you must gauge the heat on the burner. Turn it down to a low-medium, but use your hand to check the heat: carefully tap/touch the side of the pot ... it should not be too cool that you can leave your hand there, it should be heated to the point that you slightly pull away, but it should not be so hot that your hand jumps off the side of the pot.

Leave on burner (checking every so often for right temperature) for about 45 minutes.

After that time, briefly turn the heat up to medium for about 2-3 minutes while you prepare the sink. Clear the sink and put the plug in the sink. Put very cold water about 3 inches deep into sink bottom. Then, take pot off stove and plung into cold water and leave there until "steaming" noise stops. Empty sink. Spoon rice onto serving tray ... and there will be a VERY nice surprise at the bottom of the pot for you!!! There is "crunchy" rice at the bottom called Tadick (sp?). It is a saffron, golden rice with lots of crunch and tastes so olive-oily scrumptious! Crack and break up this crunchy rice and place on a serving plate. (In traditional Persia, the Tadick is prohibited to be served to guests--I don't know why it is not proper, but it is not. But, the Tadick is what my whole family would fight over at the dinner table!!!). So, proudly display and serve it on your dinner table!

Enjoy! (Sounds like a lot of work, and it is a little, but well worth it!!).

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
oooooo sounds really really nummy. How well does it keep / travel?Is it good when cold or must it be hot?

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Ooooooo can I do that eh eh. please :D

Absolutely, Peta! Be our guest! (But, now, try not to enjoy yourself too much at Tex's expense, eh?! LOL).

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
**Deanna wonders iffen we all have scared Tex into hiding?!**

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, makes ya wonder don't it. He's probably peeking from behind a corner somewhere. :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Maybe I should be more specific in this case --- I am ignoring y'all JUST IN THIS THREAD

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
hee hee ... is that along the lines of male selective hearing?? ROFL

:11poke:

Most Reactions