Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Alexandrines

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2020, 03:17 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
azgardezi is on a distinguished road
Alexandrine Query

I have a baby Alex that has just started weaning (he just had his first piece of apple and guava today). I got the Alex a few days back from a local breeder.

There are a few concerns that I have regarding my Alex. Please bear with me.

1. The breeder who I got it from had a clutch of Alex's he was selling. Naturally, I went for the one that was the most active. When I came home I realized it was wheezing and sneezing (occasionally). I also noticed some nasal discharge, plus a bit of beak was kept open to breathe - I realized there was a respiratory issue. However, I did check the beak and it would not fully close any way - probably it is still developing the ideal shape, maybe?

2. The next day the wheezing disappeared but the sneezing was periodic.

3. The parrot preens itself regularly, responds to its name and makes sounds to get itself noticed. Plus it keeps flapping ts wings to practice its flight. There is also no loss of appetite.

4. I got the bird checked by a local vet who has a very good reputation (Others mostly are experts on cats and dogs but not birds). I was told by the vet that the breeder that I got it from probably aspirated the poor bird when he was feeding it. As per him, in case there was flu or sickness, the bird would not be as active as it is. I was recommended some nasal drops which I am now administering. The nasal discharge has increased after the drops but the wheezing has reduced to once or twice per day.

5. As mentioned earlier, my bird has started picking up and exploring / eating tit bits of fruits. It actually looks forward to things to nibble and has started resenting the formula being fed.

6. What foods can I give the bird that would improve its current breathing condition?



7. I'd like to take the bird off the formula as soon as I can. When would be the best time to do so?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azgardezi For This Useful Post:
Cardinal (05-06-2020)
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2020, 07:20 AM
charmedbyekkie's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
Join Date: May 2018
Location: US/SG
Thanks: 1,829
Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,003 Posts
charmedbyekkie will become famous soon enough
Re: Alexandrine Query

Quote:
1. The breeder who I got it from had a clutch of Alex's he was selling. Naturally, I went for the one that was the most active. When I came home I realized it was wheezing and sneezing (occasionally). I also noticed some nasal discharge, plus a bit of beak was kept open to breathe - I realized there was a respiratory issue. However, I did check the beak and it would not fully close any way - probably it is still developing the ideal shape, maybe?
Without a photo, we cannot tell. Your avian vet should be the one to advise best.

Quote:
4. I got the bird checked by a local vet who has a very good reputation (Others mostly are experts on cats and dogs but not birds). I was told by the vet that the breeder that I got it from probably aspirated the poor bird when he was feeding it. As per him, in case there was flu or sickness, the bird would not be as active as it is. I was recommended some nasal drops which I am now administering. The nasal discharge has increased after the drops but the wheezing has reduced to once or twice per day.
Did the vet do any tests whatsoever? If breathing problems, avian vets will at least take a throat swab to confirm it's not an infection or other problem. Without any tests, your vet is just guessing.

Quote:
6. What foods can I give the bird that would improve its current breathing condition?
Without knowing the health issue, it's hard to say anything here.

Quote:
7. I'd like to take the bird off the formula as soon as I can. When would be the best time to do so?
What is the benefit to this? Betterment of the bird or convenience for you?

Recommend you look into abundance weaning - forced weaning will cause all sorts of problems later on.

Do check out this thread as it is particularly relevant to your case: So you bought an unweaned baby... It was written by our resident IRN (similar family to Alexandrine) expert.
__________________
Parront to Cairo (pronounced chai-row, or 菜肉)*!
*He grew up in a Malay-speaking family, so we have to respect his name and preferred pronunciation

@cairothedino on Instagram
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charmedbyekkie For This Useful Post:
Amsterdam (05-05-2020)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
azgardezi is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

Quote: Originally Posted by charmedbyekkie View Post
Quote:
1. The breeder who I got it from had a clutch of Alex's he was selling. Naturally, I went for the one that was the most active. When I came home I realized it was wheezing and sneezing (occasionally). I also noticed some nasal discharge, plus a bit of beak was kept open to breathe - I realized there was a respiratory issue. However, I did check the beak and it would not fully close any way - probably it is still developing the ideal shape, maybe?
Without a photo, we cannot tell. Your avian vet should be the one to advise best.

Quote:
4. I got the bird checked by a local vet who has a very good reputation (Others mostly are experts on cats and dogs but not birds). I was told by the vet that the breeder that I got it from probably aspirated the poor bird when he was feeding it. As per him, in case there was flu or sickness, the bird would not be as active as it is. I was recommended some nasal drops which I am now administering. The nasal discharge has increased after the drops but the wheezing has reduced to once or twice per day.
Did the vet do any tests whatsoever? If breathing problems, avian vets will at least take a throat swab to confirm it's not an infection or other problem. Without any tests, your vet is just guessing.

Quote:
6. What foods can I give the bird that would improve its current breathing condition?
Without knowing the health issue, it's hard to say anything here.

Quote:
7. I'd like to take the bird off the formula as soon as I can. When would be the best time to do so?
What is the benefit to this? Betterment of the bird or convenience for you?

Recommend you look into abundance weaning - forced weaning will cause all sorts of problems later on.

Do check out this thread as it is particularly relevant to your case: So you bought an unweaned baby... It was written by our resident IRN (similar family to Alexandrine) expert.

Thank you for your reply. There were no tests done. Neither him nor anyone else really conducts tests for birds. Like I stated before, mostly they specialize in cats and dogs. I've tried asking around from people in other cities. The situation is the same. So it's a pretty bleak situation vet wise.



Will check the thread though. Many thanks !
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Cardinal's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Kaka, the Cockatiel (Lutino with dark eyes (or clear pied?) 3 years- 6 days- now no more :(
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Thanks: 573
Thanked 742 Times in 311 Posts
Cardinal is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

Quote: Originally Posted by azgardezi View Post
I have a baby Alex that has just started weaning (he just had his first piece of apple and guava today). I got the Alex a few days back from a local breeder.

There are a few concerns that I have regarding my Alex. Please bear with me.

1. The breeder who I got it from had a clutch of Alex's he was selling. Naturally, I went for the one that was the most active. When I came home I realized it was wheezing and sneezing (occasionally). I also noticed some nasal discharge, plus a bit of beak was kept open to breathe - I realized there was a respiratory issue. However, I did check the beak and it would not fully close any way - probably it is still developing the ideal shape, maybe?

2. The next day the wheezing disappeared but the sneezing was periodic.

3. The parrot preens itself regularly, responds to its name and makes sounds to get itself noticed. Plus it keeps flapping ts wings to practice its flight. There is also no loss of appetite.

4. I got the bird checked by a local vet who has a very good reputation (Others mostly are experts on cats and dogs but not birds). I was told by the vet that the breeder that I got it from probably aspirated the poor bird when he was feeding it. As per him, in case there was flu or sickness, the bird would not be as active as it is. I was recommended some nasal drops which I am now administering. The nasal discharge has increased after the drops but the wheezing has reduced to once or twice per day.

5. As mentioned earlier, my bird has started picking up and exploring / eating tit bits of fruits. It actually looks forward to things to nibble and has started resenting the formula being fed.

6. What foods can I give the bird that would improve its current breathing condition?



7. I'd like to take the bird off the formula as soon as I can. When would be the best time to do so?
Hi AsgarDezi


Welcome to the forum. I guess your are from the Indian Subcontinent. It will be helpful to know where you are from?

Hope you are aware the Alexandrines are illegal to buy, sell ,breed or trade in India and from what I know in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka too.
Nevertheless now that you have him, you have to take good care of him so you have come to the right place to learn.

Hope you will be able to take good care of your bird.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal For This Useful Post:
charmedbyekkie Supporting Member (05-06-2020)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:26 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
azgardezi is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

Quote: Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by azgardezi View Post
I have a baby Alex that has just started weaning (he just had his first piece of apple and guava today). I got the Alex a few days back from a local breeder.

There are a few concerns that I have regarding my Alex. Please bear with me.

1. The breeder who I got it from had a clutch of Alex's he was selling. Naturally, I went for the one that was the most active. When I came home I realized it was wheezing and sneezing (occasionally). I also noticed some nasal discharge, plus a bit of beak was kept open to breathe - I realized there was a respiratory issue. However, I did check the beak and it would not fully close any way - probably it is still developing the ideal shape, maybe?

2. The next day the wheezing disappeared but the sneezing was periodic.

3. The parrot preens itself regularly, responds to its name and makes sounds to get itself noticed. Plus it keeps flapping ts wings to practice its flight. There is also no loss of appetite.

4. I got the bird checked by a local vet who has a very good reputation (Others mostly are experts on cats and dogs but not birds). I was told by the vet that the breeder that I got it from probably aspirated the poor bird when he was feeding it. As per him, in case there was flu or sickness, the bird would not be as active as it is. I was recommended some nasal drops which I am now administering. The nasal discharge has increased after the drops but the wheezing has reduced to once or twice per day.

5. As mentioned earlier, my bird has started picking up and exploring / eating tit bits of fruits. It actually looks forward to things to nibble and has started resenting the formula being fed.

6. What foods can I give the bird that would improve its current breathing condition?



7. I'd like to take the bird off the formula as soon as I can. When would be the best time to do so?
Hi AsgarDezi


Welcome to the forum. I guess your are from the Indian Subcontinent. It will be helpful to know where you are from?

Hope you are aware the Alexandrines are illegal to buy, sell ,breed or trade in India and from what I know in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka too.
Nevertheless now that you have him, you have to take good care of him so you have come to the right place to learn.

Hope you will be able to take good care of your bird.

Many thanks for your kind wishes.



Yes you are right. I am from Pakistan. There was indeed a ban on the trading of Alexandrines which was lifted 4-5 years back as their populations are thriving in captivity.



The reason the species has been endangered is not because of poaching, but in fact it is because of their habitats being destroyed as cities expand at an exponential rate. Believe it or not, even the IRN flying in the wild is a pretty rare sight here now.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:51 AM
Cardinal's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Kaka, the Cockatiel (Lutino with dark eyes (or clear pied?) 3 years- 6 days- now no more :(
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Thanks: 573
Thanked 742 Times in 311 Posts
Cardinal is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

[quote=azgardezi;866629][quote=Cardinal;866624]
Quote: Originally Posted by azgardezi View Post
I have
The reason the species has been endangered is not because of poaching, but in fact it is because of their habitats being destroyed as cities expand at an exponential rate. Believe it or not, even the IRN flying in the wild is a pretty rare sight here now.
Well that is not true. Poaching is the main reason for decline in most parts of Asia including in Pakistan.

The solid proof for this is thriving feral population of Alexandrines in the Navy head quarters in Mumbai , where habitat is not very pristine but it is impossible for poachers to enter.

Also Rose ringed parakeet declining can only be attributed to heavy poaching because it is one of the most adaptable of all parrots and thrives in Indian cities.

Also you can see that Feral populations of Alexandrines are also thriving in some towns in Germany and other parts of Europe because there is hardly any poaching there.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal For This Useful Post:
azgardezi (05-06-2020), charmedbyekkie Supporting Member (05-06-2020)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
azgardezi is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

[quote=Cardinal;866630][quote=azgardezi;866629]
Quote: Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post

Well that is not true. Poaching is the main reason for decline in most parts of Asia including in Pakistan.

The solid proof for this is thriving feral population of Alexandrines in the Navy head quarters in Mumbai , where habitat is not very pristine but it is impossible for poachers to enter.

Also Rose ringed parakeet declining can only be attributed to heavy poaching because it is one of the most adaptable of all parrots and thrives in Indian cities.

Also you can see that Feral populations of Alexandrines are also thriving in some towns in Germany and other parts of Europe because there is hardly any poaching there.

Many thanks for educating me about this.


Could you recommend me a remedy for my bird's situation. You would know that avian vets really do not exist in Pakistan.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Cardinal's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Kaka, the Cockatiel (Lutino with dark eyes (or clear pied?) 3 years- 6 days- now no more :(
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Thanks: 573
Thanked 742 Times in 311 Posts
Cardinal is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

[quote=azgardezi;866716][quote=Cardinal;866630]
Quote: Originally Posted by azgardezi View Post


Many thanks for educating me about this.


Could you recommend me a remedy for my bird's situation. You would know that avian vets really do not exist in Pakistan.
Well! I empathise with you because situation is same in most parts of India except for some parts of cities like Bengaluru etc. But unfortunately I can't help you because I have no experience in physically handling Alexandrine babies.

But this forum has many experts. I think Silver Sage is one of them ; She has kept rose ringed parakeets . May be you should search for some of her older threads and you may get some answers and hopefully she and other experts can help you.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
azgardezi is on a distinguished road
Re: Alexandrine Query

[quote=Cardinal;866850][quote=azgardezi;866716]
Quote: Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post

Well! I empathise with you because situation is same in most parts of India except for some parts of cities like Bengaluru etc. But unfortunately I can't help you because I have no experience in physically handling Alexandrine babies.

But this forum has many experts. I think Silver Sage is one of them ; She has kept rose ringed parakeets . May be you should search for some of her older threads and you may get some answers and hopefully she and other experts can help you.



It's good to know that India has at least some aviary vets available. I will certainly look into it. Many thanks once again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Alexandrines

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little Alexandrine Rinuletz Alexandrines 11 04-05-2019 11:54 AM
New member with lighting query Fischer New Members Welcome 9 11-18-2018 01:08 PM
Query on Hyacinth Macaw breeder johno53 New Members Welcome 16 12-07-2016 03:20 PM
new member query nadste Questions and Answers 4 06-25-2013 12:33 PM
Alexandrine's Mchal Budgies/Parakeets 8 01-15-2012 05:57 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.