Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Amazons

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Junior Member
Parrots:
Double Yellow Amazon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montrose Colorado
Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
jbirge is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Sponsored Links
my favorite from my Zon is wheneverre I've been away for a day or so he'll perform the huka huka danc ewhere he struts back and forth on his perch bobbing his head whistling and saying helloo at thefirst opportunity he'll jump on my shoulder and start in with the regurgatation rag. dancing on my shoulder regurgitating a vile kind of goo which of course is him treating me as his flock mate and giving me a tasty treat! no no I have not tried a sample!
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thanks: 35,799
Thanked 33,697 Times in 12,294 Posts
JerseyWendy is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Quote: Originally Posted by Giggleagain View Post
What does it mean when your Amazon blows up his cheeks like the Pillsbury dough-boy and makes gurling sounds? The rest of the body seems relaxed, no puffy feathers anywhere but at the cheeks and throat. Also, the eyes are pinning while the cheeks are blown-up. Any ideas?
LMAO! Sorry, can't help it, but do you think you can get this on video?? When you say blowing up the cheeks, do you mean all the facial feathers are ruffling up?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerseyWendy For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (06-03-2015), Giggleagain (06-19-2015)
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thanks: 35,799
Thanked 33,697 Times in 12,294 Posts
JerseyWendy is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Quote: Originally Posted by Birdman666 View Post
Wing flapping: (Usually accompanied by squawking.) If your bird is standing upright, and flapping at you, it generally means: HEY DUMMY, IM TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION HERE, AND IM GETTING FRUSTRATED BECAUSE YOU DIDNT NOTICE.
Here is a pretty good example of this behavior:

Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JerseyWendy For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (06-03-2015), Giggleagain (06-19-2015), rescuebird (04-04-2017), tanyamitchellrn (12-16-2017)
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Missouri
Thanks: 203
Thanked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Giggleagain is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Here I am again with more doubts on Willie the Butt. I'm mostly concerned about him not being "handled". I fear that he will get even more aggressive if he doesn't get cuddles and scritches. I just can't cuddle and scritch a deadly weapon because I need my hands and arms for work. I am just so spoiled because Clover and Mr. Peabody are touchable and mostly open to all kinds of interaction without having to fear a bloody outcome. Arm protector: even with an arm protector Willie would still have access to....my neck. Willie is a BIG boy, he wouldn't even have to stretch to get at my face. I'm thinking more along suit of armor

I have a very hard time reading Willie because his demeanor changes so abruptly, and seemingly out of the blue. I've been watching what I do constantly and have been able to avoid bites, but admittedly only because I keep a safe distance. He can go from interested and calm to wild-eyed and puffy-headed in less than the blink of an eye. Am I misreading that? Does that just mean "i'm very interested" instead of "I'm about to take off your nose"? I've watched several videos on the tube and see that other amazons interact with their serfs while wild-eyed and puffy-headed, and I'm thinking that I've turned into a whimp. I will have to make a video of the type of interaction I'm having with master Willie, so you can tell me whether I'm just a coward, or whether I'm reading him correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Birdman666's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.) Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Thanks: 1,574
Thanked 17,255 Times in 6,284 Posts
Birdman666 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Quote: Originally Posted by jerseywendy View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by birdman666 View Post
wing flapping: (usually accompanied by squawking.) if your bird is standing upright, and flapping at you, it generally means: hey dummy, im trying to get your attention here, and im getting frustrated because you didnt notice.
here is a pretty good example of this behavior:

that's classic amazon pick me up right this very second!!!
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Missouri
Thanks: 203
Thanked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Giggleagain is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Quote: Originally Posted by JerseyWendy View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Birdman666 View Post
Wing flapping: (Usually accompanied by squawking.) If your bird is standing upright, and flapping at you, it generally means: HEY DUMMY, IM TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION HERE, AND IM GETTING FRUSTRATED BECAUSE YOU DIDNT NOTICE.
Here is a pretty good example of this behavior:


Yes, Willie does that but I do ignore him, because if I approach him he'll turn Amazon-Bully on me.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Kiwibird's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thanks: 8,324
Thanked 15,641 Times in 6,173 Posts
Kiwibird will become famous soon enough
Re: Amazon body language

Quote: Originally Posted by Giggleagain View Post
Here I am again with more doubts on Willie the Butt. I'm mostly concerned about him not being "handled". I fear that he will get even more aggressive if he doesn't get cuddles and scritches. I just can't cuddle and scritch a deadly weapon because I need my hands and arms for work. I am just so spoiled because Clover and Mr. Peabody are touchable and mostly open to all kinds of interaction without having to fear a bloody outcome. Arm protector: even with an arm protector Willie would still have access to....my neck. Willie is a BIG boy, he wouldn't even have to stretch to get at my face. I'm thinking more along suit of armor

I have a very hard time reading Willie because his demeanor changes so abruptly, and seemingly out of the blue. I've been watching what I do constantly and have been able to avoid bites, but admittedly only because I keep a safe distance. He can go from interested and calm to wild-eyed and puffy-headed in less than the blink of an eye. Am I misreading that? Does that just mean "i'm very interested" instead of "I'm about to take off your nose"? I've watched several videos on the tube and see that other amazons interact with their serfs while wild-eyed and puffy-headed, and I'm thinking that I've turned into a whimp. I will have to make a video of the type of interaction I'm having with master Willie, so you can tell me whether I'm just a coward, or whether I'm reading him correctly.
Kiwi doesn't like to be petted or cuddled (by me at least) whatsoever. He may *tolerate* it because he trusts I won't harm him, but he certainly doesn't like it. Many amazons don't. They tend to be either super cuddles or super hands off. Right now, you should put less focus on cuddling and petting him and be working on getting him to a point he can be handled instead. For now, step up drills with a stick, before moving on to the (protected) hand or arm, and only after he is a proficient and consistent stepper upper may he go to the bare hand/arm. Trust building goes both ways

As for the bi-polar mood changes, typical male zon. That is why it is important to focus on the stick training before anything else (for a safe way to handle a less than happy boy). Over time as you build a bond and trust, it will get less dangerous, but this is just a personality trait of amazons. What you don't want to do is let him intimidate you. Then it will become an issue. For now, when he gets "big bad bird mode", calmly return him to his cage on the stick for him to calm down (he can come back out when he's feeling nicer).

I know it's tough, especially when you hear (seemingly) so many stories of "Oh, I adopted Polly the parrot and he was so mean and vicious, but 2 days later he was cuddled up in my lap and my new best friend". That does happen for some folks, but for many, it's a long and tedious process to establish trust and build a bond. Don't give up though, so long as you keep working with him, Willie will get better with time
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwibird For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (06-19-2015)
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Birdman666's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.) Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Thanks: 1,574
Thanked 17,255 Times in 6,284 Posts
Birdman666 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

"You didn't pick me up fast enough. You need to be punished, so that next time... you'll do as you're told!"

Sounds like an excitement issue. He wants too, but he's to excited to do it without latching on...

Last edited by Birdman666; 06-19-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Sterling1113's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Thanks: 846
Thanked 1,082 Times in 599 Posts
Sterling1113 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Love this thread. It's funny, nearly all of these also describe my Pionus. Which makes sense, considering they're pretty much amazon-mini. (I.E less likely to sever fingers on a whim).

He'll do the "strut", hunched over, wings and tail flared, poofy cheeks and beak open whenever he is "defending" his cage. (Especially if we open the cabinet or pantry too quickly, before he can make sure its free of home invaders.)

He also does the "happy to see you" and "leaning so far I'm almost falling of my cage, so you better come pick me up this instant, because you know I can't fly well."

He's less of a "puffed up nape and head bent over for scratches" and more of a "assert myself to the nearest shoulder and shove my face in your ear/eye/nose/whatever I can reach".

And I didn't notice it till you mentioned it, but you're completely right, he has NEVER bluffed. I can read him before he bites, that's how I managed to get away with only one minor nibble in the past year, but he has never lunged without intent to latch on. Lol. And my poor husband is usually subject to this, because, LIKE AMAZONS, he doesnt understand over stimulation = I will bite because I'm excited. And it just so happens, him coming home from work is a very exciting time of day.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sterling1113 For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (06-19-2015), Kiwibird Supporting Member (06-19-2015)
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Birdman666's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.) Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Thanks: 1,574
Thanked 17,255 Times in 6,284 Posts
Birdman666 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amazon body language

Yeah, I call them Amazon-Lite.

Same basic behavior patterns though. Less severe hormonal behaviors.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Amazons
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body language jrerek Amazons 10 06-03-2015 09:30 AM
Body language rhianna Macaws 4 09-02-2013 02:41 PM
Body language andreavizzuso Behavioral 2 11-15-2012 03:06 PM
body language sarahmcrawford Pionus 3 11-04-2012 08:01 AM
Amazon body language Huxtamillion Questions and Answers 2 10-14-2010 09:45 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.